Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

Action has significance in itself

Displaying all 7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Fri, 03 Aug 2018 #1
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 753 posts in this forum Offline

Clive asked me to open a new topic and before to go in dialogue I want to express some starting points.
That's why I lock this topic to work it out.

But this is the first starting point:
>That is why I say that you are caught up in this process of reward and gain, this hindrance born of fear, which results in conflict. When you see this, when you become aware of this, then you will understand that life, behavior, service – everything – has significance in itself; then you do not go through life with the purpose of getting something else, because you know that action itself has intrinsic value. Then you are not merely a reformer, you are a human being, you know that life which is pliable and therefore eternal.

>Second Talk at Frognerseteren
>
Friday, September 8, 1933

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Sun, 05 Aug 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 05 Aug 2018 #2

Seeing how the originaly topic is going i see only lost of time and distraction to go further with this one, unless there is some interest from other members.

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 05 Aug 2018 #3
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 4534 posts in this forum Offline

Wim Opdam wrote:
Seeing how the originaly topic is going i see only lost of time and distraction to go further with this one, unless there is some interest from other members.

Wim, I have not understood what you are trying to do. When I suggested starting a new thread, that was because i thought you wanted to discuss Nelson Mandela, and a possible similarity to K. So I was surprised when you started on by repeating the quote I had put up, and using an 'opposite title'.

Besides, how can anyone respond when you locked the thread? :-)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 06 Aug 2018 #4

Clive Elwell wrote:
Wim, I have not understood what you are trying to do.

I'm not trying to do anything, your question was:

" Wim, if you wish to carry on this discussion, would you start a new thread for it? It doesn't seem to really belong in this one.

Being serious on this delicate dialogue I wanted to set out some starting points and collected quotes from the book before discussion of right or wrong was going to start, hence the blocking.

I'm very sensitive on the difference between those two.

It's s not between K. And M. But the meaning of there actions where the vieuw is from.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 06 Aug 2018 #5
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 4534 posts in this forum Offline

Wim Opdam wrote:
It's s not between K. And M. But the meaning of there actions where the vieuw is from.

Well, some misunderstanding here. No matter.

Do you have any response to my mail *18 on the original thread? Or comments of your own, on the very basic issue?

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 07 Aug 2018 #6

Clive Elwell wrote:
Well, some misunderstanding here. No matter.

Well, a guy like Emerson said this about great man and misunderstanding. ;-()

Emerson’s litany of great men contains several luminaries across the span of two millennia of European civilization, including “Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton”. (p.44) But these people did not become legends through dint of birth, privilege or fortune. Most of them were vilified and ostracized during their own life times. Some of them even lost their lives for the cause they believed in.
This is the uttermost expression of individuality and originality. These great men refused to bow to pressures of conformity due to the profound faith they held in their convictions. Though great men are mostly misunderstood during their own lifetimes, they grace humanity through the wisdom and legacy they leave behind. IIn this context, Emerson asks, “Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? …every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh.
To be great is to be misunderstood.”(p.32)

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Tue, 07 Aug 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 08 Aug 2018 #7

Clive Elwell wrote:
using an 'opposite title'.

There was no opposite in view only referring to the quote of K. in #1.

Krishnamurti quote:
then you will understand that life, behavior, service – everything – has significance in itself; then you do not go through life with the purpose of getting something else, because you know that action itself has intrinsic value.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 7 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)