Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Inside the New Brain!

Displaying all 9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sun, 06 Jun 2010 #1
Thumb_new_pics Toni Lorenzo United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

I hope that you will listen, but not with the memory of what you already know; and this is very difficult to do. You listen to something, and your mind immediately reacts with its knowledge, its conclusions, its opinions, its past memories. It listens, inquiring for a future understanding.

Just observe yourself, how you are listening, and you will see that this is what is taking place. Either you are listening with a conclusion, with knowledge, with certain memories, experiences, or you want an answer, and you are impatient. You want to know what it is all about, what life is all about, the extraordinary complexity of life. You are not actually listening at all.

You can only listen when the mind is quiet, when the mind doesn't react immediately, when there is an interval between your reaction and what is being said. Then, in that interval there is a quietness, there is a silence in which alone there is a comprehension which is not intellectual understanding.

If there is a gap between what is said and your own reaction to what is said, in that interval, whether you prolong it indefinitely, for a long period or for a few seconds - in that interval, if you observe, there comes clarity. It is the interval that is the new brain. The immediate reaction is the old brain, and the old brain functions in its own traditional, accepted, reactionary, animalistic sense.

When there is an absence of that, when the reaction is suspended, when there is an interval, then you will find that the new brain acts, and it is only the new brain that can understand, not the old brain.

There is nothing so powerful as the truth, and nothing so strange. ? Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Mon, 07 Jun 2010 #2
Thumb_stringio nick carter United States 777 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Toni Lorenzo wrote:
If there is a gap between what is said and your own reaction to what is said, in that interval, whether you prolong it indefinitely, for a long period or for a few seconds - in that interval, if you observe, there comes clarity. It is the interval that is the new brain. The immediate reaction is the old brain, and the old brain functions in its own traditional, accepted, reactionary, animalistic sense.

The old brain is confident, certain, smug, but the new brain allows for doubt. Confidence jumps right in, assured of its ability to process all information, but doubt is cautious and hesitates, and the hesitation is the interval of which you speak.

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 #3
Thumb_img001 Sudhir Sharma India 1989 posts in this forum Offline

nick carter wrote:
The old brain is confident, certain, smug, but the new brain allows for doubt.

The old brain has thoughts of self confidence, certainity and smugness. If there are thoughts of doubt, then the brain is not new but old. Isn't the new brain in the state of questioning but not giving an answer ?

FLOW WITH LIFE!

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 07 Jun 2010 #4
Thumb_stringio nick carter United States 777 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Dr.sudhir sharma wrote:
The old brain has thoughts of self confidence, certainity and smugness. If there are thoughts of doubt, then the brain is not new but old. Isn't the new brain in the state of questioning but not giving an answer ?

No such thing as "thoughts of doubt". Doubt is sensitivity, not thinking. One may form a thought expressing doubt, but doubt itself is a quality of awareness.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 07 Jun 2010 #5
Thumb_img001 Sudhir Sharma India 1989 posts in this forum Offline

nick carter wrote:
Doubt is sensitivity,

This relationship is not clear at all.

nick carter wrote:
but doubt itself is a quality of awareness

Why do you say so ?

FLOW WITH LIFE!

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 08 Jun 2010 #6

Dr.sudhir sharma wrote:
nick carter wrote:
Doubt is sensitivity,
This relationship is not clear at all.
nick carter wrote:
but doubt itself is a quality of awareness
Why do you say so ?

Sorry, Doc. Can't be explained. You either see it or you don't.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 08 Jun 2010 #7

Toni Lorenzo wrote:
there is a silence in which alone there is a comprehension which is not intellectual understanding.

I don't know why I posted these words from K. Maybe it was the new brain or quiet mind that poked me to post it. Any attempt to comment on this subject is in all likelyhood comming from the old brain. So I asked myself...which brain of ours is now saying this? Surly, the old brain is working differently than it did just 100 years ago. I think that K was making a point that the new brain has not and will not ever changed. It is like the silence before the creation of the first word and all things. It is perfect in and of itself for all eternity, the silence of the new brain. So the question arises, what happens in our brains when images replace language as the primary means of communication? Well I think too many images of violence in the world are not healthy for both brains. We have learned so much about the human brain during the past two decades that it's fair to speak of a revolutionary change in our understanding. The era of the Old Brain is giving way to that of the New Brain. The new brain activates itself when the ego is subduded or the inner child is under control and yes, the old brain seems to somehow fight back. K's understanding of the effects of media and technology on our brain, thoughts and emotions is the real issue but it seems he left it open for future "brains" to deal with. It is a medical fact that new brain cells listen before they talk whereas old brain cells speak out all that is stored in their memory from past experience. The old brain is doing it's job very well because the world we live in today is without a doubt, full of noise.

There is nothing so powerful as the truth, and nothing so strange. ? Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 08 Jun 2010 #8

Toni Lorenzo wrote:
So I asked myself...which brain of ours is now saying this? Surly, the old brain is working differently than it did just 100 years ago.

I'm not surprised to learn that the old brain's name is Surly.

Tue, 08 Jun 2010 #9

nick carter wrote:
I'm not surprised to learn that the old brain's name is Surly.

Art thou not too,
like unto me

A tourch to light earth's gloom,

A Soul, therefore a mystery,

A wanderer bound to roam?

--Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

"To the invisible One".

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 9 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)