Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Inward Flowering

Displaying posts 31 - 45 of 45 in total
Sat, 01 Jun 2019 #31
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1468 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
Do you see how thinking leads to confusion and contradiction?

Depends on the one who reads it. If you misread everything according to your prejudice then yes it does. But who's fault is that?! The reader is messed up one not the thought.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #32
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1468 posts in this forum Offline

One wrote:
Living the teachings means being a light to yourself (a light to yourself not to others). Society is always secondary. Living the teachings means that do you observe yourself in relationship with things and people without condemnation or you still judge and measure which is not living.
Krishnamurti didn't point out to north or south. He gives awareness to those who are willing to listen. And how many of us know how to listen by now?(I say none). So we don't live the teachings.

The above is what one wrote . The dissected version of jack about what one said is his fragmentary perception so it is worthless to one.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #33
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5765 posts in this forum Offline

One Self wrote:
The dissected version of jack about what one said is his fragmentary perception so it is worthless to one.

Well that's a relief. I'm glad it's only worthless to one. If it was worthless to, say, three or four or a dozen I would be really worried.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #34
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 891 posts in this forum Offline

Dan McDermott wrote:
What do you mean Sean when you say "living the teachings"?

Hello Dan. Well, for example, we talk here a lot about observation and attention and of course it's completely appropriate to do so on a Krishnamurti discussion forum. We also sometimes talk about observation which brings about immediate action. What I mean by "living the teachings" is actually moving from talking about these things to actually doing these things in our daily lives. Does that make sense?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #35

Jack Pine wrote:
Did K lay out a formula or pattern of life that he wanted us to adhere to or aspire to? What does "living the teachings" mean and can we "live them"?

Hi Jack. I partly answered these points in my reply to Dan above but to address your questions more fully I'd say this - As far as I know K did not lay out a formula or pattern of life that he wanted us to adhere to. He pointed many things out though. Can we "live the teachings?". I don't know. This is what we're discussing here. If we can't "live the teachings", then what we are involved in here is an intellectual discussion which, while interesting, leaves us all in exactly the same mess as we have always been in.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #36

Patricia Hemingway wrote:
A moment here - a moment there...... so what? That means nothing at all.

A moment looking at a mountain. Or a moment seeing a Heron come in to land on the water as the sun is going down. It's a beautiful sight. Looking or seeing without your mind wandering all over the place. A moment where you are with someone or some people and you are really connected, in communication with them. These moments can have great meaning. Or a life can pass by without too much meaning at all.

Don't you think it is time to get serious about all this, and to stop looking for pleasant little 'hints' to entertain ourselves - to give us 'hope' while we paddle around at the edge?

This has the tone of a rather grumpy schoolmistress scolding her pupils when they have not come up to scratch. I don't know if you are aware of this or if this is your intention but this is how it comes across to me if I am being frank.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #37
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1398 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
A moment looking at a mountain. Or a moment seeing a Heron come in to land on the water as the sun is going down. It's a beautiful sight. Looking or seeing without your mind wandering all over the place. A moment where you are with someone or some people and you are really connected, in communication with them.
These moments can have great meaning.

And also those moments with compassion,
those moments change your being !

Truth will unfold itself to those who enquire their own actions.

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Sun, 02 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #38

Wim Opdam wrote:
And also those moments with compassion,
those moments change your being !

Yes Wim! Indeed they do!

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #39
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1929 posts in this forum Offline

The house is burning so lets find ourselves some 'feel-good' moments! The only thing that 'changes one's being' is to be completely connected with, and responsible for, the reality of the disorder of humanity - without escape.

The actual work of going into it, and discovery of the truth of what he pointed out in every moment of one's life demands great seriousness, awareness and deep understanding of the human condition - especially the very things we do not want to see.

Your reply Sean shows clearly that the self will avoid at all costs facing the very things we do not want to see. And this is why the teaching of K is still being endlessly, uselessly, puzzled over - searching vainly for moments of 'hope' - for hints of 'success'- for reward for the self, all the while perpetuating the disorder. Do the bloody work and discover the truth of what K pointed out first-hand, standing all alone, without looking for agreement and approval.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #40

Your reply Sean shows clearly that the self will avoid at all costs facing the very things we do not want to see. And this is why the teaching of K is still being endlessly, uselessly, puzzled over - searching vainly for moments of 'hope' - for hints of 'success'- for reward for the self, all the while perpetuating the disorder. Do the bloody work and discover the truth of what K pointed out first-hand, standing all alone, without looking for agreement and approval.

Patricia, you seem to be under the impression that you are some sort of expert when it comes to Krishnamurti's teachings. You seem to believe that you've "done the work" that others have not. It appears that you believe you have discovered the truth of what K pointed out first-hand. I know nothing about you or your life and can only judge from what you write on here. Your above post is rude and aggressive. That seems to be a long way what Krishnamurti and his teaching were all about. Common civility is the minimum that posters should show each other on any forum let alone a Krishnamurti forum.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #41
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5765 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
If we can't "live the teachings", then what we are involved in here is an intellectual discussion which, while interesting, leaves us all in exactly the same mess as we have always been in.

This may well be the case. Perceiving, living, whatever word we want to use to realize what K pointed out, seems to all come down to letting go of any individual effort or being.

We have been completely conditioned to see our lives as individual, singular, isolated movements of progress. We do progress from being born to death. That is real. But psychologically we don't change at all. We just think we do. Humanity hasn't changed psychologically, consciously at all during our long physical evolution. Yes, we have made great progress technologically. But, ironically, most of what we have invented to make life easier has been turned against us in that it is causing the destruction of the earth.

There can be no individual effort in trying to attain what K pointed out. Our consciousness is not separate from the consciousness of humanity. What we view as our individual self is an illusion invented by thought. Thought, itself, while necessary for life in the physical world is keeping us from solving our problems that prevent us from having any real relationship with others. The endless wars and constant competition, the hatred of those not like us and on and on. It's the same as it's always been. Our whole way of thinking has to change or we will prove to be the dead end species we appear to be. Or as Dr David Bohm put it homo sapiens is an incoherent species trying to survive in a coherent (Nature) system. We are, so far, unable to learn from our mistakes and make the necessary corrections. Nature acts accordingly. We're killing ourselves.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #42
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1929 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
I know nothing about you or your life and can only judge from what you write on here.

Judge all you like Sean. Your approval is not sought. Either see the truth of human disorder or not - your choice it seems.

But really - it is now or never that we as humanity wake up to what we are doing.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #43

Jack Pine wrote:
There can be no individual effort in trying to attain what K pointed out. Our consciousness is not separate from the consciousness of humanity. What we view as our individual self is an illusion invented by thought. Thought, itself, while necessary for life in the physical world is keeping us from solving our problems that prevent us from having any real relationship with others.

Hello again Jack. All I can say is that what you say above appears to be true. It seems to be a good summary of the situation we find ourselves in. So where does that leave us?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #44

Judge all you like Sean. Your approval is not sought. Either see the truth of human disorder or not - your choice it seems.

But really - it is now or never that we as humanity wake up to what we are doing.

Hello again Patrica. I think we would both agree that the world is in a horrendous mess. This mess seems to be at both an individual and collective level. We are destroying ourselves and the planet we live on. Disorder is indeed everywhere.

Now I may be completely wrong about this, but given all the terrible things that we are doing, I see as a basic, tiny first step, the importance of treating each other and the planet we live on with as much care and sensitivity as we can. This is said in the spirit of genuine inquiry. I'm not sure at all that this view is really shared on here or at least given the importance that I feel it deserves.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #45
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1398 posts in this forum Offline

The only thing that 'changes one's being' is to be completely connected with, and responsible for, the reality of the disorder of humanity - without escape.

So where can one observe the escape, Patricia , if one uninvited is wordless and breathless in a moment of compassion for the suffering of a fellow human being........ for the beauty of nature ....... for the inability to do anything ....?

time does not matter whether it is in the blink of an eye or for an eternity .....

according to K's last recorded conversation:
"You won't find another body like this, or that supreme intelligence operating in a body ... probably for many hundred years. You won't see it again."

so, if that supreme intelligence is using my body for only a split second
i'm not gone argue with that.!

Truth will unfold itself to those who enquire their own actions.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 31 - 45 of 45 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)