Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Am I lazy when it comes to the things that Krishnamurti suggested to do?

Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 #1
Thumb_screenshot_2014-08-09-12-40-46 Goodman B United States 285 posts in this forum Offline

I seriously want to find out if I am avoiding the teachings in a subtle way. I can see how others escape the facts but can I see my own ignorance of the facts?

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 #2
Thumb_screenshot_2014-08-09-12-40-46 Goodman B United States 285 posts in this forum Offline

I am generally in daily life lazy, I stay in bed in the morning as much as I can . But when it comes to listening to Krishnamurti I am in love. So I think that I live in a pool of opposites. How am I to free myself from the pool of the opposites that we call life and is made by thinking.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 #3

In other words how is my mind to be free from the things that thought has made and is making.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 #4
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 338 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
How am I to free myself from the pool of the opposites that we call life?

You might try getting out of bed in the morning.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 #5
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1248 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
how is my mind to be free from the things that thought has made and is making.

If that is a serious question and not just thought seeking a "substitution" for your described "laziness", the short answer is "I don't know"...but according to k. through 'choiceless awareness' of the whole of yourself. Idiot's suggestion to "get out of bed" can be helpful , I think, if there is awareness of the disturbance and the resistance to his/her suggestion.

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Sat, 11 Aug 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 11 Aug 2018 #6

idiot ? wrote:
You might try getting out of bed in the morning.

And start the mischief early. :-)

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 12 Aug 2018 #7

Goodman B wrote:
And start the mischief early. :-)

Thank you for responding to my humor with humor. Sometimes folks here are so dour. We can be serious yet still sometimes light hearted and it makes conversation here a lot more fun.

Krishnamurti, Think On These Things, Chapter 18:

What is wrong with laziness? What is wrong with just sitting still and listening to a distant sound come nearer and nearer? Or lying in bed of a morning and watching the birds in a nearby tree, or a single leaf dancing in the breeze when all the other leaves are very still? What is wrong with that? We condemn laziness because we think it is wrong to be lazy; so let us find out what we mean by laziness. If you are feeling well and yet stay in bed after a certain hour, some people may call you lazy. If you don't want to play or study because you lack energy, or for other health reasons, that again may be called laziness by somebody. But what really is laziness?

When the mind is unaware of its reactions, of its own subtle movements, such a mind is lazy, ignorant. If you can't pass examinations, if you haven't read many books and have very little information, that is not ignorance. Real ignorance is having no knowledge of yourself, no perception of how your mind works, of what your motives, your responses are. Similarly, there is laziness when the mind is asleep. And most people's minds are asleep.

They are drugged by knowledge, by the Scriptures, by what Shankara or somebody else has said. They follow a philosophy, practise a discipline, so their minds - which should be rich, full, overflowing like the river - are made narrow, dull, weary. Such a mind is lazy. And a mind that is ambitious, that pursues a result, is not active in the true sense of the word; though it may be superficially active, pushing, working all day to get what it wants, underneath it is heavy with despair, with frustration.

So one must be very watchful to find out if one is really lazy, Don't just accept it if people tell you that you are lazy. Find out for yourself what laziness is. The man who merely accepts, rejects or imitates, the man who, being afraid, digs a little rut for himself - such a man is lazy and therefore his mind deteriorates, goes to pieces. But a man who is watchful is not lazy, even though he may often sit very quietly and observe the trees, the birds, the people, the stars and the silent river.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Sun, 12 Aug 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 12 Aug 2018 #8

You might sit up in bed when you awaken. K did this. He would frequently wake up before the sun was up and sit up in bed with his back straight, quiet, attentive.

In early talks, K used the expression, "passive awareness." But after a while the "passive" was dropped.

He began to speak of "action without idea." In other words, awareness itself acts! You see the dirty dishes in the sink and without any thought of doing or not doing you find yourself washing them. Seeing them and the need, action simply is. The doing with awareness is itself meditation.

He began to talk about "choiceless awareness." How freedom is not doing whatever you want but acting, not from preconceived ideas, but from love. True freedom is awareness and that awareness need not be passive. It may flow into loving activity.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sun, 12 Aug 2018 #9
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 657 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
Thank you for responding to my humor with humor. Sometimes folks here are so dour. We can be serious yet still sometimes light hearted and it makes conversation here a lot more fun.

Yes, I agree with this but find myself holding back on the humour front in case I offend or confuse people. I'll try to loosen up a bit. I enjoyed your "Say hello to Nessie" quip on the superstition thread by the way although others may have found it monstrous.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 12 Aug 2018 #10

Seems that Krishnamurti was all about awareness and attention. He said that in attention there is no centre that is attending. The same in awareness. He says awareness is not aware of itself as awareness. He talks about how we can't approach attention and love positively. Positive approach is to define what love is and try to get there. In that there is resistance.
When k says that there is no centre that is attending . There is a danger that the mind imagines that state and tries to get there. So one has to be very aware of thought being formed all the time.

Sign in to recommend
12 hours ago #11

Goodman B wrote:
So one has to be very aware of thought being formed all the time.

Yes.

However it can naturally quiet down to silent simple clear awareness, outside of time. Since thought has not arisen, neither has the distinction between self and surroundings. To make this discovery is the most important thing. The thinking mind cannot touch it.

This post was last updated by idiot ? 7 hours ago.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)