Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Meditation

Displaying posts 211 - 218 of 218 in total
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #211
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5517 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
At some point, someone started feeding K Zen stories. Had he known they were Zen Buddhist stories, he likely never would have repeated them, because he clearly spoke out against organized religion, including Buddhism. You can find quite a few of these retold Zen stories in the 1001 Lunches book. K obviously liked them and must not have known that they came from a religious tradition. So he repeated them.

You just won't stop will you? It's obvious you have some vendetta against K. Always supposing he was less than honest and forthright. All the above are just your narrow, prejudiced opinions and they aren't worth much. If K was so against Buddhism why do you suppose he held dialogues with Buddhists? Idiot?, why are you so full of opinions of K and why do you feel the need to excrete them here on the K forum?

Do you have any credible evidence to support any of this?

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Thu, 08 Nov 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #212
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1101 posts in this forum Offline

Why do you think that k said don't listen to anybody saying anything about anybody else? The reason shows in these so called discussions which are nothing more than opposing conclusions. Throw those 1001 cookbook and Merry z books away. Those were merely made for your entertainment and have no value unless you want to cook food.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #213
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 523 posts in this forum Offline

Another example of K telling a Zen story is at 9:45 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPBmSzvStQ&amp...

which I have commented on in post #3 of a thread from 2016:

http://www.kinfonet.org/forums/2-general-discus...

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #214
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1101 posts in this forum Offline

K actually goes into the word zen. What the root meaning is and so on.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #215

"The Japanese word zen is a borrowing of a medieval Chinese word (now pronounced chán, in modern Mandarin Chinese) meaning “meditation, contemplation.” ... The Sanskrit word is derived from the Sanskrit root dhy?-, dh?-, “to see, observe,” and the Indo-European root behind the Sanskrit is dhei?-, dhy?-, “to see, look at.”

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #216
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 523 posts in this forum Offline

Myself Wrote wrote:
K actually goes into the word zen. What the root meaning is and so on.

Citation please. I haven't seen this and would be interested in what K says, if it is a real quote.

Meanwhile, this is what I say:

"Zen" is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese word "Chan" or "Channa" which comes from the Sanskrit "Dhyana" which means meditation. Also related is the Pali word "Jhana."

Besides its root meaning of "meditation," there is the meaning: "no subject/object." What does "there is no subject or object" mean? It means "the observer is the observed." It means the self dissolves and awareness is. It means awareness that is not from a center of perception.

In other words, the real meaning cannot be touched by the thinking mind.

By the way, I am not a Zen Buddhist. They take part in all kinds of rituals, bowing, taking vows, promising to follow moral precepts, and all kinds of other nonsense that K rightly points out divides human beings.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Thu, 08 Nov 2018.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #217

Post #248 was from a dictionary online below is K.
" So what is meditation? Not how to meditate, the 'how' becomes rather childish, as you will see presently for yourself, but what is meditation - the question itself becomes extraordinarily important. You know there are various systems of meditation; there is the Zen meditation which is - the word 'Zen' comes from the Sanskrit word 'Dzan' and the Chinese weren't able to pronounce that word 'Dzan' and therefore made it into 'Zen'. And there is that whole school of meditation, the Zen, based on tradition, which says you must have a very, very quiet mind, therefore practise, follow a system, discipline yourself, control yourself, be aware of every movement of your body. And you practise day after day and there are many schools of Zen, it is not only that you must control your body but also you must control your breath and so on. Then there are many schools of yoga. I hope you are interested in all this. I am not! But unfortunately you have to go through it. The word 'yoga' I have been told means to join together, join together the mind, the body and that supreme self. And yoga also means, skill in action. And it also means a system, any system that will help you to meditate. And there is the yoga of physical exercise, hatha yoga, which if you practise carefully will help you to control not only your body but also your mind and go beyond it."
Public Talk 4 New York, USA - 28 April 1974

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Nov 2018 #218
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5517 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
At some point, someone started feeding K Zen stories. Had he known they were Zen Buddhist stories, he likely never would have repeated them, because he clearly spoke out against organized religion, including Buddhism. You can find quite a few of these retold Zen stories in the 1001 Lunches book. K obviously liked them and must not have known that they came from a religious tradition. So he repeated them.

idiot ? wrote:
Citation please. I haven't seen this and would be interested in what K says, if it is a real quote.

Where are your citations for the your opinions in the paragraph you wrote at the top of this page? Why do you feel the need to try to belittle K on this forum?

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 211 - 218 of 218 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)