Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Enlightenment...

This topic is locked.

Displaying posts 31 - 37 of 37 in total
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 #31
Thumb_photo_jg4 Jean Gatti Belgium 8638 posts in this forum Offline

jamie f wrote:
Listen to someone who knows what they are talking about.

How can you be sure of what others know or don't know ?

??

Why resist 'what is' ?

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 #32
Thumb_basquiat-boom-for-real-feature-001 Katy Alias United Kingdom 347 posts in this forum Offline

https://youtu.be/GzwovTkSGk0 Krishnamurti in Dialogue with Buddhist Scholars

(I watched this video a while ago and it was not the easiest of dialogues/conversations to follow - not only because of the subject but because of language differences. However, some others reading here might find it interesting)

This post was last updated by Katy Alias Thu, 29 Sep 2016.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 #33
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

Jean Gatti wrote:
jamie f wrote:

Listen to someone who knows what they are talking about.
How can you be sure of what others know or don't know ?

By listening...to all! Not that you gain 'knowledge'about the one you are listening to.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 #34
Thumb_basquiat-boom-for-real-feature-001 Katy Alias United Kingdom 347 posts in this forum Offline

...Seeing that 'enlightenment' does have so many religious connotations in the traditional sense/usage of the word 'religious', it makes discussing this phenomenon extra difficult here perhaps ? I don't know.

Is a 'religious mind' always an 'enlightened' one ? (No formal answer being sought - just a tributary question for which there can be no single answer as I see this). And as I'm sure most of y'all know/see already K defined the word 'religious' in his own way.

(I am partly regretting initiating this discussion because 1. so few people are writing to this forum and 2.'enlightenment' belongs too much to the land of the unknown for people to write much about.
So, I'll probably leave this discussion here - unless, of course, anyone has something further to say/write which is particularly 'pressing'. Thanks for your replies, anyway, thus far).

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 29 Sep 2016 #35
Thumb_photo_jg4 Jean Gatti Belgium 8638 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
By listening...to all!

Tom, there is a French saying:

"Avoir l'esprit ouvert ne signifie pas l'avoir béant à toutes les sottises" (Jean Rostand)

which could be translated as:

"To have an open mind does not mean wide open to all stupidities"

Why resist 'what is' ?

Thu, 29 Sep 2016 #36
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

Jean Gatti wrote:
To have an open mind does not mean wide open to all stupidities"

You have to listen before you can know if something is stupid or not, right? Otherwise it's just a conditioned reaction.

Let it Be

Thu, 29 Sep 2016 #37

We're going off topic (mostly) which is probably because as Van Morrison sang: "enlightenment don't know what it is". However, it appears to be an aspiration of sorts for many people - depending, of course, on various 'factors'.

So, unless anyone wants to write further about 'enlightenment' per se I will lock this topic tomorrow - and re-open it if more people are interested to write to this forum at some point.

Thanks again, Katy

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 31 - 37 of 37 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)