Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

The possibility of merging the two forums

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 147 in total
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #1
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 108 posts in this forum Offline

The possibility of merging the two forums

Following the discussion on the "A Noisy Space?" thread, I would like to open a discussion on pros and cons of merging the General Discussion Forum and A Quiet Space, with myself as moderator. I have not put this offer to Dev yet (if indeed I can find him), and it might be completely unacceptable to Kinfonet, but I would like to look at the possibility with others.

The general discussion forum is where most new-comers are going to arrive. I have an image – perhaps romantic – of someone who has recently discovered Krishnamurti, has read a few books, has been moved by his words, and are looking for a place to share some urgent questions with others. And perhaps their searching brings them to the Kinfonet site. The general discussion forum may be their first contact, and it needs to be a sympathetic one. So for me the quality of the discussion there is terribly important.

Few people would argue that at times the forum has been sadly lacking. And I am very sympathetic to the voices I hear at the moment wanting to rejuvenate it.

The combined forum I have in mind would be a moderated one, of course. I think just about everyone here would agree with that necessity anyway. And it would follow the guidelines presently in force. If there were a significant number of people who prefer an unmoderated forum, I guess they could apply to start one separately.

So what are the drawbacks to the present arrangement, with two forums functioning side by side? Are there any? If they are functioning similarly, it seems unnecessary fragmentation. Many people already move between the two forums.. Having one forum sees more efficient.

Then there is the question of numbers. The number of active participants on the GDF is now quite low, perhaps unable to provide enough momentum for sustained dialogue. Also I feel AQS would benefit from a few more participants. I don't know, maybe I am mistaken here, maybe there is a danger of the forum getting too big. We would have to see. People who have experience of large forums, please comment.

One possible plus for the proposal is that it seems Dev does not have the time to properly moderate at the moment, and the GDF is suffering because of that. Dev might welcome a moderator who has the time for the work.

Let us remember again that I have not put this offer to Dev yet (if indeed I can find him), and it might be completely unacceptable to Kinfonet. But if I was to offer, I think I could only carry on in broadly the same way, with the same understandings that I have been using. They have seemed to work reasonably well. I am not saying that everything is perfect on the forum,but it does seem that energy has been able to focus on actual discussion, and not dissipated in too much conflict. Obviously there is a lot to learn, and unlearn. But anyway, I am always ready to consider new suggestions.

For myself, if the forums were combined, I would want to carry on as I do now, both as moderator (I feel that is a commitment that I have made) and ordinary participant. I have not found any conflict of interest in doing that so far. And I want to assure people that I will not renegue on my original commitment to maintain a space for discussion free from personal attack, abuse.

So, I would welcome people's comments on this proposal. Then if I still feel it is the right thing to do, I will try to contact Dev about it.

Although it is awkward, it seems best to create threads on both forums simultaneously on this issue. But if they are already members there, I suggest people post their comments on the GD forum.

Excuse me for sticking this post at the top for a while.

This post was last updated by Clive Elwell Sun, 21 Aug 2016.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #2
Thumb_stringio randall merryman United States 3832 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Clive Elwell wrote:
The general discussion forum may be their first contact, and it needs to be a sympathetic one. So for me the quality of the discussion there is terribly important.

Well Clive, as far as I can recall, you and I have never interacted on this or any other forum and so I'll be as sympathetic as possible but.....What is the motive behind wanting to create a happy place for new comers to feel comforted? As far as I can tell, concern for another's enquiry usually has a self interest involved. An artificial environment does not promote any kind of self enquiry and instead usually creates more problems than it "fix's".

Please define more clearly, if you would be so kind, what "quality of the discussion" actually means.

All those who feel qualified to answer a newcomers questions, in anything but a superficial/intellectual/verbal fashion, please raise your hand.

Stuff happens

This post was last updated by randall merryman (account deleted) Sun, 21 Aug 2016.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 5 readers
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #3
Thumb_basquiat-boom-for-real-feature-001 Katy Alias United Kingdom 347 posts in this forum Offline

Hi Clive,

Maybe you could consider renaming your forum according to what the particular focus or need as you see it might be at any given point ?

The general discussion forum does rely on people honouring guidelines and my feeling is that a degree of freedom as writers/members might be lost or too compromised, really, if you or anyone else had to 'monitor' this space too closely...it would go from being a collectively managed space to a hierarchical one and there are problems associated that I can see/envisage especially with the latter.

There is a sense in which all the forums are 'merged' anyway, as I see this, by way of membership. Or are you saying that a person who belongs to A Quiet Space does not have automatic membership, too, of the General Discussion Forum ? If not, why not ?

Kind Regards, Katy

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 7 readers
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #4

randall merryman wrote:
.What is the motive behind wanting to create a happy place for new comers to feel comforted?

Sorry Randaal, but this is a serious distortion of what I said. I never used the word happy, neither did I use the word “comforted”. Neither were these concepts implied. So as this question is your own creation, I will not attempt to answer it.

An artificial environment does not
promote any kind of self enquiry and
instead usually creates more problems
than it "fix's".

What do you mean by “an artificial environment”? A forum with moderation?

Please define more clearly, if you
would be so kind, what "quality of the
discussion" actually means.

That is a reasonable question. Firstly, for me, it involves a quality of seriousness. Not being frivolous. Not typing in the first things that come into ones head. Responses not merely from one's conditioning, but from the observation of what is actually going on in one's consciousness.

A sense of trying to think together, as K has often gone into at great length. Not the automatic gainsay of what the other has to say in order to boost one's one's own ego. Not argument for the sake of argument.

A sense of genuine inquiry. In my experience, not just on the internet, this is one of the most difficult things. It is so easy to drift into a mere exchange of opinions/perceptions.

And it implies questioning oneself. Not being convinced that all one says is necessary so. Doubting, questioning.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #5
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

Randall...I think Clive wants a forum that is focused on K's 'teaching' as opposed to endless quarrels and personal put downs and viciousness that is only a distraction from the 'teachings'. I mean it was really more of a circus side show here for a while with Paul making mincemeat of Jean ....and others too...on a regular basis. Who wants to sift through that crap to try to have a serious discussion. (I know some will say Jean brought it on himself, but who cares who started the brawling. It needed to end.). Im sure it was entertainment for some, but many of us simply left or stayed away because we saw it as a total waste of time. And it was. It's as if a bunch of loud, drunken hells angels showed up to a K talk.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #6

Katy Alias wrote:
Maybe you could consider renaming your forum according to what the particular focus or need as you see it might be at any given point ?

Sorry, but please do not call it “my” forum, Kathy. A Quiet Space is not “my” forum, I am merely in the position of moderator.

I had thought a combined forum would replace the General Discussion, under that name, and AQS would cease functioning.

The general discussion forum does rely
on people honouring guidelines and my
feeling is that a degree of freedom as
writers/members might be lost or too
compromised, really, if you or anyone
else had to 'monitor' this space too
closely...it would go from being a
collectively managed space to a
hierarchical one and there are
problems associated that I can
see/envisage especially with the
latter.

Yes, there could be problems. No system will replace sensitivity and intelligence.

What do you mean by 'monitor', Kathy? As I have talked about on the “A Noisy Space?” thread, the only function of moderation is to ensure the guidelines are followed. Well, better say to try to ensure they are. And at present, on AQS, those guidelines are only about being respectful to others, no personal attacks, no abuse.

I appreciate your point about “collective management”, and I have sometimes sort the opinion of others in certain matters. Perhaps more could be done in that area, publicly and privately. How has collective management worked on the GD?

There is a sense in which all the
forums are 'merged' anyway, as I see
this, by way of membership. Or are you
saying that a person who belongs to A
Quiet Space does not have automatic
membership, too, of the General
Discussion Forum ?

It is my understanding that this is not so.

If not, why not ?

I don't know the answer to that, Kathy. I am not a member of the administration. Just someone who once asked Dev if I could start a “member's created forum”, for which there was provision. Like the “Experimenter's Corner”

Is it not only recently that one has to request to join the GD?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #7
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5655 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Randall...I think Clive wants a forum that is focused on K's 'teaching' as opposed to endless quarrels and personal put downs and viciousness that is only a distraction from the 'teachings'. I mean it was really more of a circus side show here for a while with Paul making mincemeat of Jean

First, personally I have nothing against Clive but I don't give a damn what he wants or thinks this forum should have. Secondly, much of the stuff I've read on his forum is not an honest discussion of K but the same crap coming from the same people who wrote the fluff and nonsense that mostly appeared on George's forum before it was mercifully laid to rest. There are a few serious posters on Clive's forum but most of what I read is dreamy nonsense. I'll give examples later if you want. Late for a lunch date.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 4 readers
Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #8
Thumb_stringio randall merryman United States 3832 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Clive Elwell wrote:
I will not attempt to answer it.

Nor should you, or anyone else for that matter. My posting was intended for the reader to hold in a quiet space in the mind. Where serious enquiry takes place.

Stuff happens

Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #9

Tom Paine wrote:
...I think Clive wants a forum that is focused on K's 'teaching'

I have understood quite well Tom, what the human mind wants.

Stuff happens

Sun, 21 Aug 2016 #10

Tom Paine wrote:
It's as if a bunch of loud, drunken hells angels showed up to a K talk.

Now that's something I would love to see! ;)

Stuff happens

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #11
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

randall merryman wrote:
Tom Paine wrote:

...I think Clive wants a forum that is focused on K's 'teaching'

Randall: I have understood quite well Tom, what the human mind wants.

Entertainment, distraction, pleasure, fulfillment, security? Yes. Do you think discussing K is only a search for that? Not saying it is or it is not. One never really knows where any discussion will lead. Perhaps someone has something worth sharing....some light to shed on the 'teaching'. Do you discount that? But for sure the circus side show we had here was only providing entertainment...nothing more...to those who enjoy that kind of thing. Most of us just changed the channel and went over to Clive's moderated forum where name calling, ridicule, insults and other similar forms of entertainment are blocked.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Mon, 22 Aug 2016.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #12

Tom Paine wrote:
It needed to end.). Im sure it was entertainment for some, but many of us simply left or stayed away because we saw it as a total waste of time. And it was. It's as if a bunch of loud, drunken hells angels showed up to a K talk.

Before I comment on the above quote I have this to say. Tom, you have seen first hand how there can be no discussion on this forum because Jean keeps interrupting whatever anyone says to harass, harangue, opinionate, form snap conclusions about what others are saying and more. And it is nearly all rubbish. To see, to observe, to be aware can only take place when the brain, ie thought, is silent. Jean is that voice in everyone's head chattering away and filling the silence with random thoughts, opinions, conclusions and other rubbish. Paul and Jack are certainly not the only ones who have tried to do something to stop Jean. There are numerous others who have had a very similar experience with Jean and have ended up in a circular, pointless, idiotic exchange of posts. Nothing stops Jean from spreading his noise.

Now you can call what many of us have felt we had to do to somehow keep Jean from dominating this forum a "pack of drunken Hell's Angels" if you want but it is a gross mischaracterization. And needlessly insulting. You, yourself, have run up against a brick wall time and again trying to have a reasonable discussion with Jean. It simply can not be done because something extra or something missing in Jean's personality won't allow it to be done.

So is the answer to run to a forum where there is a strong authority presence? A self-proclaimed moderator to police one's posts? Where basically one person decides the rules and decides who stays and who goes? There is a fair amount of gibberish that occurs on the "Quiet Space" forum but there is no real possibility to challenge some of the posts there that run the gamut from ridiculous to "what the hell is this guy smoking"?

And let's not forget that Jean has already been thrown off Clive's forum. So don't you people who can escape Jean's omnipresence come to this forum and call those of us who are sick of Jean's unrelenting crap "drunken Hells Angels" unless you are ready to bring Jean back into the "Quiet Space". Bring Jean back in and see how god damn quiet your space is then. Look how well it worked the first time Jean joined.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Mon, 22 Aug 2016.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #13

Tom Paine wrote:
Most of us just changed the channel and went over to Clive's moderated forum where name calling, ridicule, insults and other similar forms of entertainment are blocked....

....along with free expression of ideas and in depth, serious questioning.

Name calling like "drunken Hell's Angels"?

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #14

jamie f wrote:
George was a lovely bloke and i miss his labyrinthine posts, but the focus was on getting along together and people were a little too keen to agree with some preposterous nonsense for the sake of keeping things sweet and snug.

Eloquent and right on the mark. Thank you.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #15
Thumb_stringio David T United Kingdom 124 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Morning Clive
Sounds like you are getting a little power crazy,wanting to take over the whole forum. Where will it end is the next step,sainthood perhaps.
Perhaps you could give an example of a discussion held here that has lead to a greater understanding of ones self. There is always the excuse used that there would be greater understanding if only the disrupters would stop disrupting. So ban everyone who disagrees with you sounds like dictatorship to me,but I am sure that I am wrong. As for claiming that you are somehow the guardians of the words of K,well what happened to not setting K up as an authority.
Is your real agenda not to try and setup a forum where you can express your self unchallenged?
To me the purpose of the forum is to set one free from ones self.
Have things to do so will get back to you later with a few more ideas. But suggest Jean is made moderator of a combined forum he has contributed more to this forum than anyone. Just before Jack starts with his insinuations,this is partly a joke.

I am a figment of my and your imagination

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 4 readers
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #16
Thumb_photo_jg4 Jean Gatti Belgium 8638 posts in this forum Offline

David T wrote:
But suggest Jean is made moderator of a combined forum he has contributed more to this forum than anyone.

lol David, thanks for the laugh ...

But don't take your dream for reality, I certainly wouldn't want to become admin in this forum and become prisoner of a 'role', and I suspect I am not the only one to think so :-)

Why resist 'what is' ?

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #17
Thumb_leaping_fire_frog_by_sirenofchaos natarajan shivan India 87 posts in this forum Offline

NO to the merger; a door needs be left open for the likes of lidlo.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #18

Jack Pine wrote:
Tom, you have seen first hand how there can be no discussion on this forum because Jean ... Jean is that voice ... something to stop Jean ... a very similar experience with Jean ... Nothing stops Jean ... keep Jean from dominating ... trying to have a reasonable discussion with Jean ... missing in Jean's personality ... let's not forget that Jean ... who can escape Jean's omnipresence ... sick of Jean's unrelenting crap ... ready to bring Jean back ... Bring Jean back ... Look how well it worked the first time Jean joined.

Congratulations Jack, you succeeded to write 'Jean' 14 times in the same post without even answering to one of my posts ... this is surely eligible for a Guinness Book World Record, no ?

Why resist 'what is' ?

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #19
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1381 posts in this forum Offline

Katy Alias wrote:

this seems to me a reasonable solution of a non-existing problem
(the name is not the thing).
Are people distracted by the title or by the visibly different vibration
of the 'general' and so called "Quiet space '?

Or I'm alone in this view ?

a small metaphor:
It's dangerous to going to walk or cycle on a highway so there are cycle tracks and footpaths together with highways.
So to know on which road you are with what kind of moving equipment keeps moving save, so don't go to drive your car on cyle track or footpath and don't merge them.

Truth will unfold itself to those who enquire their own actions.

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Mon, 22 Aug 2016.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #20
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1925 posts in this forum Offline

Any discussion will find its own level if it is allowed to.

The LAST thing any forum needs is a dictator. And a dictator intent on takeover? - that's not on.

Dev has the right approach.

Surely, on a K forum, there is no need for an 'authority' to protect threatened egos - is there? So - things get heated? - deal with it! Stand alone.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #21
Thumb_stringio Julian S United Kingdom 194 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Jean Gatti wrote:
Congratulations Jack, you succeeded to write 'Jean' 14 times in the same post without even answering to one of my posts ... this is surely eligible for a Guinness Book World Record, no ?

A man obsessed. I'm sure you should be flattered Jean (x 14)...

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #22

Julian S wrote:
A man obsessed. I'm sure you should be flattered Jean (x 14)...

Well yes, Jack is my best 'follower' ... 9 out of 10 posts he makes is about me :-)

Why resist 'what is' ?

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #23

Patricia Hemingway wrote:
Dev has the right approach.

Surely, on a K forum, there is no need for an 'authority' to protect threatened egos - is there? So - things get heated? - deal with it! Stand alone.

Well put from Dev ... however as some posters prefer a "quieter" and "safer" place, it is probably wise to maintain the idea of separate forums, so people can either chose one forum either participate in both forums, as is the case now ...

After all why would a forum be different from the real world ? ... we see conflicts all around, don't we have to learn to 'deal' with that ... and grow up ?

Why resist 'what is' ?

This post was last updated by Jean Gatti Mon, 22 Aug 2016.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #24

David T wrote:
But suggest Jean is made moderator of a combined forum he has contributed more to this forum than anyone. Just before Jack starts with his insinuations,this is partly a joke.

Partly a joke? It's absolutely unhinged.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #25

Jean Gatti wrote:

Jean it pails in view of your over 8000 posts. Possibly even 9000 considering the trouble you have gone to over the years to delete huge volumes of your posts. You are violating a guideline of this forum by over posting. But more importantly you are smothering this forum with your misconceptions and distractions. It would be different if you were actually saying something but you are not because you are steeped in the belief that only you know the "truth".

And Jean who can deny the facts of what I have written? Your post is just another diversion away from someone pointing out who you are and what you are doing to this forum.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #26

Jean Gatti wrote:
Well put from Dev ... however as some posters prefer a "quieter" and "safer" place, it is probably wise to maintain the idea of separate forums, so people can either chose one forum either participate in both forums, as is the case now ...

How many forums can you choose to post on Jean? Probably the few people checking your recommend box are all on Clive's forum where they can safely post away from your hammering and repetitious nonsense. Yet they feel free to come to this forum and encourage you to continue here what is not allowed on the other forum. Bit hypocritic isn't it.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #27

Jack Pine wrote:
Jean it pails in view of your over 8000 posts.

Maybe so Jack, but why make such a huge problem of that ? Is 4000 posts so fundamentally different from 8000 ? Why always fight on this Jack ? Why all this resistance ?

Why resist 'what is' ?

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #28

Jean Gatti wrote:
Maybe so Jack, but why make such a huge problem of that ? Is 4000 posts so fundamentally different from 8000 ? Why always fight on this Jack ? Why all this resistance ?

If you weren't resisting what I have written you wouldn't be posting this post and so many others. And yes Jean 8000 or 9000 posts is fundamentally different from 4318. It's twice as much. And what you write is not benign but garbage that is, in and of itself, a contradiction of what K pointed out. A misrepresentation and a misunderstanding which eventually distracts and smothers every thread you post on.

For example, are you aware that you are "resisting" resistance? You don't see the contradiction at all do you? We are all constantly being hammered by your misunderstanding of resistance. You don't end resistance you understand it. One has to be aware of it as it happens without wanting to end or change it. But you don't see that. And you don't understand resistance by making an icon, a slogan, out of the word as you have done.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #29

Jack Pine wrote:
Tom Paine wrote:

Most of us just changed the channel and went over to Clive's moderated forum where name calling, ridicule, insults and other similar forms of entertainment are blocked....

Jack: ....along with free expression of ideas and in depth, serious questioning.

Tom: Now that's ridiculous, Jack. Are you saying that there can be no serious discussion and free expression of ideas related to the teaching(as opposed to ideas about the poster) because Clive prohibits personal attacks and insults? He's not inhibiting discussion of 'the teaching' in the least.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Mon, 22 Aug 2016.

Mon, 22 Aug 2016 #30

Thank you for the well-considered comments, Jamie.

jamie f wrote:
I am surprised, however, that you think there are not enough numbers on here for sustained dialogue as i hadn't considered that the numbers were low. But it's quality, not quantity that counts as they say. :-) Cheers.

Yes, I may indeed have been hasty in this assessment. I think I was observing at a time when the volume of posts was low, it seems to have picked up of late.

Also, as has been pointed out, the number of posts is certainly no measure of quality.

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 147 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)