Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

The Maltese Falcon

Displaying all 20 posts
Page 1 of 1
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 #1
Thumb_stringio Brian Smith United Kingdom 212 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

This evening I had this urge to watch the John Huston classic The Maltese Falcon - it's on now though I'm not paying any attention. Anyway, that got me thinking. I imagined if K were with me sitting on my sofa, would he want to watch it? Would K ever want entertainment? Would he be able to submerse himself in an imaginary world?.
Would he be able to surrender himself to the illusion required to experience any art?
is he supremely indifferent to all art or entertainment? Would he say "the Maltese Falcon, that was a great/shit/pointless film" or would he be unable to place any value on what he saw?
Personally I love the film, though it's a thriller it's funny, but i can't help thinking that a somewhat enlightened person might look askance at it all. Isn't that rather a bleak place to be?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 #2
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1432 posts in this forum Online

I don't know...I recall hearing that he liked reading 'detective' novels...

This may be all wrong of course

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 #3
Thumb_avatar Peter Kesting United States 1228 posts in this forum Offline

K liked to watch Kojak

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 #4
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

Peter Kesting wrote:
K liked to watch Kojak

Hahaha...that puts a smile on my face to hear that. Picturing the very straight laced K watching that show. My parents loved watching that show. He also read mystery/spy/espionage novels according to some biographies, as Dan said.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 #5
Thumb_stringio Brian Smith United Kingdom 212 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Maybe he felt sorry for Kojak for being bald.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 #6
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

Brian Smith wrote:
Maybe he felt sorry for Kojak for being bald.

:)

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 29 Jan 2016 #7
Thumb_stringio Pavil Davidov Poland 4402 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

K Ojai K

"Wherever you go, there you are." Insight from Mullah Nasruddin

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jan 2016 #8
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 649 posts in this forum Offline

K liked to read mysteries.

You might think that this had nothing to do with his teachings and was just an enjoyable pastime for him. But consider how long his talks could go on, going down this dead end and that. He'd throw out red herrings and string you along. Sometimes he would even say that he would come back to an interesting issue and then fail to do so! At the end of the talk he would finally reveal the answer to the question, just like a mystery novel where you find out who dunnit.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Sat, 30 Jan 2016.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sat, 30 Jan 2016 #9
Thumb_3252 Voco . Luxembourg 878 posts in this forum Offline

Why do you ask all this nonsense? What K would do, what he wouldn't do, why are you even comparing yourself with him? Why do you want to impersonate him? It seems that K himself got in the "stream" which he was talking about.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jan 2016 #10

idiot ? wrote:
At the end of the talk he would finally reveal the answer to the question, just like a mystery novel where you find out who dunnit.

And always comforting to know it would be the same culprit revealed the previous year!

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jan 2016 #11

Voco . wrote:
Why do you ask all this nonsense? What K would do, what he wouldn't do, why are you even comparing yourself with him? Why do you want to impersonate him? It seems that K himself got in the "stream" which he was talking about.

Nonsense, yes, but I don't see where I'm comparing myself with him or impersonating him.
But through the "nonsense" I guess I'm asking in an oblique way whether someone could or would want to be free of a wish for entertainment, art or any such diversion.
K often spoke about enjoying the sunset but then not storing up the memory, which is entertainment I suppose, but would watching a film, entering a make believe world, deliberately surrendering yourself be possible for someone who had a mind where the observer observed himself out of existence.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jan 2016 #12

Brian Smith wrote:
would watching a film, entering a make believe world, deliberately surrendering yourself be possible for someone who had a mind where the observer observed himself out of existence.

Would a non-existent observer be able to observe himself?

That's the dumbest question posed on Knet . . . ever.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jan 2016 #13

Pavil Davidov wrote:
Would a non-existent observer be able to observe himself?

Who said non existent?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 31 Jan 2016 #14
Thumb_3252 Voco . Luxembourg 878 posts in this forum Offline

Brian Smith wrote:
But through the "nonsense" I guess I'm asking in an oblique way whether someone could or would want to be free of a wish for entertainment, art or any such diversion.

Why would you want to be free of entertainment? Is it because you have an idea of renunciation? The very renunciation which was preached for centuries by various gurus and teachers.

Brian Smith wrote:
K often spoke about enjoying the sunset but then not storing up the memory, which is entertainment I suppose, but would watching a film, entering a make believe world, deliberately surrendering yourself be possible for someone who had a mind where the observer observed himself out of existence.

The brain remembers without your conscious intervention, either you want it or not, the question is what significance are you giving to all that. Nothing is wrong with watching a film, as well as nothing is wrong not watching it, you don't enter some different world by watching it and you aren't in a different world if you don't watch it.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 01 Feb 2016 #15

Am I the only person you misunderstand?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 01 Feb 2016 #16
Thumb_stringio randall merryman United States 3832 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Peter Kesting wrote:
K liked to watch Kojak

He liked watching "Dirty Harry" movies also, I read somewhere.

Stuff happens

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 01 Feb 2016 #17
Thumb_stringio randall merryman United States 3832 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Pavil Davidov wrote:

K posed it frequently.

Stuff happens

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 03 Feb 2016 #18
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 863 posts in this forum Offline

Brian Smith wrote:
Would K ever want entertainment? Would he be able to submerse himself in an imaginary world?.

Many years ago I read the first three volumes of Mary Lutyens biography of Krishnamurti (The Years of Awakening, The Years of Fulfilment and The Open Door). I think it's easy to put Krishnamurti on a pedestal and forget that in many ways he was a normal human being. I think that reading these books helped me understand this. In one of the books Mary Lutyens describes how Krishnamurti enjoyed watching films. In her book "Krishnamurti: A Life", she wrote the following:

"The last film I went to with him was the Raid on Entebbe. In the end he was shaking so much from excitement that he could hardly walk out of the cinema."

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 06 Feb 2016 #19
Thumb_avatar Ravi Seth India 1573 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
At the end of the talk he would finally reveal the answer to the question, just like a mystery novel where you find out who dunnit.

When did he do that ? Be kind enough to give some examples.

Sun, 07 Feb 2016 #20

Ravi Seth wrote:
When did he do that ? Be kind enough to give some examples.

I don't think idiot? was being in deadly earnest.

Displaying all 20 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)