Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
Discussion Forums

One Self's Forum Activity | 1296 posts in 1 forum


Forum: General Discussion Fri, 01 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Jack Pine wrote: That's why no one participates in most of the threads you start.

Do you actually want to know why? I tell you why because 90 percent of my discussions were trashed by your trolls and anti -k writings.

Forum: General Discussion Fri, 01 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Let's go back to the teachings. The question is "can we ask the right question?" . Mr Paul has put that there. I ask those who have not said anything about the topic of this discussion resort to other discussions so that we don't bombard Mr Paul with a lot of emails every day.

Forum: General Discussion Sat, 02 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Krishnamurti with students at the Thacher School

One should have a bit of skepticism when asking questions. A wrong question will have no answer, but a right question, in its very asking, unfolds the understanding of it. It needs intelligence and sensitivity to ask the right question and to see all that is involved in it and go to the very end of it.

Forum: General Discussion Sat, 02 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

It is interesting how everyone is anti-questtion now! . One wonders if Krishnamurti had any effect on the western man. Krishnamurti had surely a negative effect on jack. His existence, his use of language and behaviour is anti -k ,therefore not worth answering. He is the wrong question.:-)

Forum: General Discussion Sat, 02 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: Can we two find just one question together?

One has many questions. Some of them are, what is love? What is conflict? What is peace and tranquility? What is intelligence? Who is the observer? What is the point of having discussion with strangers who flip flop all the time? I have more questions . Do any of my questions match any of yours. I think that is what you are asking. Tell me if I am wrong.

Forum: General Discussion Sun, 03 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: Are we here to offer something to others, or to receive something from them, or for something else entirely different?

One is here for entirely something else, the teachings. Krishnamurti spoke for over sixty years and it is all about human behavior and conduct in the world. One is not here to meet people online. One can do that on Facebook or other social medias where one can see their recent appearances. If one is here to socialize and find friends then one becomes tolerant and superficial . There are about ten people who regularly post in this thread . No one new . Idiot who spoke some sense was pushed out of this site by constant harassments by we know who. He tried to push me out of this site but apparently one doesn't get to be used by his language of insults and hate. Most people give up and leave this site like idiot. Any other question that interests you? Try to respond in less than 24 hours.:-)

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 04 Feb 2019
Topic: What is intellect?

Is intellect merely knowing one language. The spelling the vocabulary, grammar and so on of a language? Or is it more than merely a language? I think it is more.

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 04 Feb 2019
Topic: What is intellect?

I check what k says about it. You don't have to accept anything that I write or k says. You don't even have to read this discussion. You can start your discussions by pushing the start a new topic button.

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 04 Feb 2019
Topic: What is intellect?

Chapter 32 - Thought uses and destroys The Whole Movement of Life is Learning "Human beings throughout the world have made the intellect one of the most important factors in our daily life. The ancient Hindus, the Egyptians and the Greeks have all considered intellect the most important function in life. Even the Buddhists have given importance to it. In every university, college and school throughout the world, whether under totalitarian regimes or in so-called democracies, intellect has played a dominant role.

We mean by the intellect, the capacity to understand, to discern, to choose, to weigh-as in all the technology of modern science. Isn't the essence of the intellect the whole movement of thought? Thought dominates the world in both the outer life and the inner life. Thought has created all the gods of the world, all the rituals, the dogmas, the beliefs. Thought has also created the cathedrals, the temples, the mosques, with their marvellous architecture, and the local shrines. Thought has been responsible for the never-ending and expansive technology, the wars and the material of wars, the division of people into nations, into classes and into races. Thought has been, and probably still is, the instigator of torture in the name of God, of peace, of order. It has also been responsible for revolution, for the terrorists, for [conceiving an] ultimate principle and pragmatic ideals. By thought we live. Our actions are based on thought; our relationships are also founded on thought. So intellect has been worshipped throughout the ages.

But thought has not created nature-the heavens with their expanding stars, the earth with all its beauty, with its vast seas and green lands. Thought has not created the tree, but thought has used the tree to build the house, to make the chair. Thought uses and destroys.

Thought cannot create love, affection and the quality of beauty. It has woven a network of illusions and actualities. When we live by thought alone, with all its complexities and subtleties, with its purposes and directions, we lose the great depth of life, for thought is superficial. Though it pretends to delve deeply, the very instrument is incapable of penetrating beyond its own limitations. It can project the future, but that future is born of the roots of the past. The things which thought has created are actual, real-like a table, like the image you worship. The image, the symbol that you worship and many romantic, idealistic, humanitarian illusions are put together by thought. Human beings accept and live with the things of thought-money, position, status and the luxury of a freedom that money brings. This is the whole movement of thought and the intellect, and through this narrow window of our life we look at the world.

Is there any movement that is not of the intellect and thought? This has been the inquiry of many religious, philosophical and scientific endeavours. When we use the word religion, we do not mean the nonsense of belief, rituals, dogma and hierarchical structure. We mean by religious men or religious women those who have freed themselves from centuries of propaganda, from the dead weight of tradition, ancient or modern. The philosophers who indulge in theories, in concepts, in ideational pursuits cannot possibly explore beyond the narrow window of thought, nor will the scientist with his extraordinary capacities, with his perhaps original thinking, with his immense knowledge. Knowledge is the storehouse of memory, but there must be freedom from the known to explore that which is beyond it. For that there must be freedom to inquire without any bondage, without any attachment to one's experience, to one's conclusions, to all the things man has imposed upon himself. For that exploration, the intellect must be still in absolute quietness without a murmur of thought.

Our education now is based on the cultivation of the intellect, of thought and knowledge, which are necessary in the field of our daily action; but they have no place in our psychological relationship with each other; for the very nature of thought is divisive and destructive. When thought dominates all our activities and all our relationships, it brings about a world of violence, terror, conflict and misery.

In these schools the dominance of thought must be a concern of all of us, the young and the old.

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 04 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: Yes, it is about our conduct in the world. What is our conduct in regard to the teachings? How are we approaching them?

Our conduct is based on thought ,is it not?

Forum: General Discussion Tue, 05 Feb 2019
Topic: What is intellect?

The root meaning of the word intellect is intelligence. But krishnamurti has totally different meaning for the word intellect.

Forum: General Discussion Tue, 05 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Wim Opdam wrote: If that is your conclusion, it is.

con·clu·sion (k?n-klo?o?zh?n) n. 1. The close or last part; the end or finish: the conclusion of the festivities. 2. The result or outcome of an act or process: What was the conclusion of all these efforts? 3. A judgment or decision reached after deliberation. See Synonyms at decision. 4. A final arrangement or settlement, as of a treaty. 5. Law The formal closing of a legal complaint or pleading. 6. Logic a. A proposition that follows from the premises of a formal proof, for instance from the major and minor premises of a syllogism. b. The proposition concluded from one or more premises; a deduction. [Middle English conclusioun, from Old French conclusion, from Latin concl?si?, concl?si?n-, from concl?sus, past participle of concl?dere, to end

Forum: General Discussion Tue, 05 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Notice that the word conclusion in English language doesn't mean belief . But some people think that they are the same word! If a scientist write a paper without a conclusion then his paper is not published. But in this site some people use the word "conclusion" as a weapon to put down what one says . Maybe they are blindly imitating Krishnamurti's words.

Forum: General Discussion Tue, 05 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: But what are the teachings? At their very root or core, what are they?

Yes ,what are the teachings to you? I said what it is to me ,now it is your turn to answer that question.

Forum: General Discussion Wed, 06 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Wim Opdam wrote: Scientists belief they are true with their conclusions and yet every generation find evidence of the incompleteness or wrong conclusions.

Apparently wim doesn't see that every thing he says is his conclusion. Who is "every generation"?!

Forum: General Discussion Wed, 06 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: And if the teachings don't mean love then they are worthless anyway. Are you with me in this?

I was listening to a well known family psychologist. He actually has different solutions for families who are on the verge of divorce. Someone asked him what is love ? He said, to me love only exists between man and woman. See how loveless our society is. And yet you think that we can start with love that doesn't exist on the planet. Is there love when there is hate ? Can you jump into love as you jump into a pool of water? What does the word love mean to you? Let's start with that. Because it is easy to fall into illusions in these matters.

Forum: General Discussion Wed, 06 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: One Self: Our conduct is based on thought, is it not?

P:Then it means we are approaching the teachings with a limited mind, a mind that is tethered to its own beliefs and expectations, a mind that says, 'The teachings are this, it is all fixed.' But what are the teachings? At their very root or core, what are they?

You are moving too fast . If the mind is fixated on a belief surely can not relate to the teachings. He can only relate to his belief. That is obvious is it not? Can there be love when one sticks to a conclusion and defends it all the time? Surely not.

Forum: General Discussion Thu, 07 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Gee , it seems to me ....

Forum: General Discussion Thu, 07 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: Forget what the word means. Are you with me in this?

What needs to be forgotten is the "me" thing. If you can do that you are with everyone who has also forgotten the "me". But as long as you stick to that "me" there is no way out.

Forum: General Discussion Fri, 08 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

No?

Forum: General Discussion Fri, 08 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

K:The self is put together by time, by the movement of thought, by the known, by the word. In the abandonment of the self, in that total attention, that essence of beauty is there. The letting go of the self is not the calculated action of desire-will. Will is directive and so resistant, divisive, and so breeds conflict. The dissolution of the self is not the evolution of the knowledge of the self; time as a factor does not enter into it at all. There is no way or means to end it. The total inward non-action is the positive attention of beauty.

Forum: General Discussion Sun, 10 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

K:The self is put together by time, by the movement of thought, by the known, by the word. In the abandonment of the self, in that total attention, that essence of beauty is there. The letting go of the self is not the calculated action of desire-will.

Forum: General Discussion Sun, 10 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: (No source given)

The source is no one other than Krishnamurti. Do you care where and what time of the year he said that! What matters is the truth of what was said by him not who said that. K often says that there is no K, he only voices what we are. He is our voice so let's not make him into our authority by saying when he said that and so on. That brings time into our conversation if we have any.

Paul Dimmock wrote: the question or the challenge still remains: are we together?

If someone understand what it means to be "together" in this forum please speak out because I don't know what it means to be "together".

Forum: General Discussion Sun, 10 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

One Self wrote: K:"In the abandonment of the self, in that total attention, that essence of beauty is there. "

How can we who have never abandoned the self understand what k is talking about. What is interesting is to go into these matters (by oneself) completely so there is no illusion to be made by thought.

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: You may have made it up. That is why I put 'no source given.

First of all I don't make things up. Secondly you are the one who makes up and gives crazy meaning to the words. For example "together means we are both free to find out"! . Thirdly if you are suspicious minded why bother to respond to me. I explained why I don't put reference on short paragraphs of k .But apparently you were not born in england and your understanding of English language is according to your background. Try to make some sense with words fellow and don't be a suspicious minded while you want to be free at the same time! Your questions are all empty and meaningless. That is why NO ONE responds to them(not that I care). Sorry to tell you the truth . You need to change. That is obvious. Now you known that we are definitely not together(in the true meaning of the word.) because of your suspicious mind. (This site is full of odd people! :-)

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Paul Dimmock wrote: One Self: I don't know what it means to be "together".

Paul:Neither do I. That means we are both free to find out. But, first, do you want to be together? If you do, you'll find out what it means.

Why use a word that one doesn't know what it means. Let's talk about what we know and leave what we don't know to Gods.:-)

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

What I am saying is that we can't talk about something that we have not experienced it. We can only talk about togetherness when we know what it is. There is no use saying I don't know what togetherness is but I want it to happen to me. Ideas can easily be made. The word together

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

to·geth·er (t?-g?th??r) adv. 1. In or into a single group, mass, or place: We gather together. 2. In or into contact: The cars crashed together. She mixed the chemicals together. 3. a. In association with or in relationship to one another; mutually or reciprocally: getting along together. b. By joint or cooperative effort: We ironed the entire load of clothes together. 4. Regarded collectively; in total: She is worth more than all of us together. Considered together, the proposals made little sense. 5. In or into a unified structure or arrangement: put the food processor together. 6. Simultaneously: The bells rang out together. 7. In harmony or accord: We stand together on this issue. 8. Informal Into an effective, coherent condition: Get yourself together. adj. Slang 1. Emotionally stable and effective in performance: She's really together. 2. In tune with what is going on; hip.

Forum: General Discussion Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Topic: Can we ask the right question?

Now which meaning do you refer to when you say are me and you together?

Forum: General Discussion Tue, 12 Feb 2019
Topic: Usage of the words.

Words are practically the only means that people and specially in these discussion groups use to express themselves. That is the fact, but we (most or all of us ) don't know how to use words correctly. The question is how is one to use words correctly without creating images of any kind. The images prevents learning. And if learning is important to you (which I am not sure of .) then what is the correct way to use words in general.