Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
Awareness in our world today | moderated by Krishnan Srinivasan

Is vegetarianism a must for saving the world and ourselves?

Closed_forum

Displaying posts 121 - 127 of 127 in total
Sat, 14 Nov 2009 #121
Thumb_readytoloadup_correction Krishnan Srinivasan Denmark 322 posts in this forum Offline

Paul Lanzon wrote:
The indiginous people revered the land and never took more than they needed - it was sacred to them. Along came Pale Face and the result was there for all to see: a masterpiece of chaos which is wi

Life is like the tamarind fruit bound in its shell

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 #122
Thumb_readytoloadup_correction Krishnan Srinivasan Denmark 322 posts in this forum Offline

Yes greed in many forms not only in food consumption with the consequence of obesity but also greed to have more and more of everything.In a poor country like India, producing more children than necessary and thereby creating slums and unhygienic conditions... it is not ignorance alone but arrogant greed&consumerism
Time is ripe for concerted action.

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 #123
Thumb_avatar Paul Lanzon United Kingdom 24 posts in this forum Offline

Hi Krishnan, Some while back in an earlier post you mentioned insensitivity of the mind. I think this is a really important factor. Is it purely a matter of the upbringing? the early encounters and conditioning. It seems to me that if you take for granted that you are a separate self that very fact is a powerful source of insensitivity; me first; you second or last! All the time we are surrounded by insensitivity in one form or another. We don't have the time or inclination to really look at nature - not with the romantic idealist's eyes - but to observe the processes of nature with a mind that does not judge - see what sensitivity is there in animals and even plants. But, more important, to look at one's own insensitivity - but what really insensitive person can do that?
Once this insensitivity has crystalized can it ever be dispelled? It always comes back to the question of the false self. It seems that human beings who were once fairly sensitive can be desensitized by persistent conditioning - as when someone joins the army etc.
Anyone who has taught young children has witnessed the gradual diminution of sensitivity as the children approach the final year of school, though I'm thinking here of the state schools system in UK. Thankfully there is usually one or two in each class who manage to retain some of their integrity - but then comes the world of work... or unemployment... I seem to have rambled on more than I intended.

Sun, 15 Nov 2009 #124

Paul Lanzon wrote:
I seem to have rambled on more than I intended.

Sun, 15 Nov 2009 #125

No not at all Dear Paul! I follow your thread... all are interrelated.So even if you catch them as young(as JK attempted by establishing Schools)the outer environs are not going to be conducive to live with integrity&sensitivity.That is the plight of all of us!.. I have tried all my life... been evaluated as being" anti-authoritarian, not pragmatic, rolling stone gather no moss(meaning no money or riches that I have gathered hitherto)" One tends to laugh with resignation at this world, that keeps one going....one cannot change the world and one cannot change oneself. Abiding Nature prevails as always.

This post was last updated by Krishnan Srinivasan Sun, 15 Nov 2009.

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 #126

Birgitte Bardot, film actress living in France has demanded there should be a World Vegetarian Day" and appealed to the European Union to adopt such a day to make people aware of the need for vegetarianism. It is a very good idea!

Tue, 08 Dec 2009 #127

Now a lot of hullabullo going on in Copenhagen Climate summit. But nobody except the alternative group delegates are interested in making vegetarianism as the top priority for this summit that could save the world. I have seen groups advocating it here in Copenhagen. but their voices are not heard,,,,, what a pity...

Displaying posts 121 - 127 of 127 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)