Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
Awareness in our world today | moderated by Krishnan Srinivasan

Is vegetarianism a must for saving the world and ourselves?

Closed_forum

Displaying posts 91 - 120 of 127 in total
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 #91
Thumb_deleted_user_med Robert Michael United States 116 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Dear Krishnan,

What has become of the original page 4 and its posts in this thread?

Bob M.

"Very soon a man shall appear who will finally dispell the universal darkness from our world." (Bob M.)

This post was last updated by Robert Michael (account deleted) Wed, 23 Sep 2009.

Thu, 24 Sep 2009 #92
Thumb_readytoloadup_correction Krishnan Srinivasan Denmark 322 posts in this forum Offline

Hi Bob, They were deleted by me because of irrelevance to the topic here discussed, and you can have personal communications with another person through messages, not in the name of"vegetarianism".

Life is like the tamarind fruit bound in its shell

Thu, 24 Sep 2009 #93
Thumb_deleted_user_med Robert Michael United States 116 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Krishnan Srinivasan wrote:
Hi Bob, They were deleted by me because of irrelevance to the topic here discussed, and you can have personal communications with another person through messages, not in the name of "vegetarianism".

Hi Krishnan,

Thanks Krishnan, but I happen to feel otherwise. I think it was done out of spite and envy. I too feel you have a mindset very much like the politicians you criticize and condemn. Though in any case, you're the boss, you're in control, you have the last say on the matter. Though with such an attitude as yours I doubt very much that you'll ever dwell in the extraordinary dimension of being that K did, and I do likewise. Surely not unless you radically change.

NTL, best wishes for your total transcendence of the conditioned self, Krishnan.

Bob M.

"Very soon a man shall appear who will finally dispell the universal darkness from our world." (Bob M.)

This post was last updated by Robert Michael (account deleted) Thu, 24 Sep 2009.

Fri, 25 Sep 2009 #94
Thumb_readytoloadup_correction Krishnan Srinivasan Denmark 322 posts in this forum Offline

Dear Bob, I have no such thing in my mind as you seem to fear.Topical relevance is the only criterion involved. You &Mr.French Touch can have intimate personal conversations through message box system herein.Anyway thanks for your comments and wishes.Regards&love.Krishnan

Fri, 25 Sep 2009 #95

With regard to diet and health, food staples and food-processing procedures introduced during the neolithic and industrial era have fundamentally altered seven
crucial nutritional characterstics of ancestral hominin diets: 1.glycemic acid load,2.fatty acid composition,3.macronutrient composition,4.micronutrient density,5.acid/base loads,6.Sodium/Potassium ratio, and 7. fiber-content.
These factors alone or combined cause many of the chronic diseases that almost universally afflict people living in western,industrialized societies. Emulating one or more of the seven universal characteristics common to preagricultural diets(say ancient aboriginals of Australia-not the now-living), have demonstrated therapeutic effects by dietary interventions practised today!
Please read:Peter S.Ungar(Editor):EVOLUTION OF THE HUMAN DIET-Oxford University Press2007.- for further research material.
Further point to note in this topic is:
Diets low in dietary fibre may underlie or exacerbate constipation,appendicitis,hemorrhoids,deep vein thrombosis, varicose veins,diverticulitis,hiatal hernia, and gastroesophageal reflux(Trowell,1985)
There are good points at being a vegetarian.

Tue, 29 Sep 2009 #96

www.RealAge.com website is reporting findings from a large scale research study that points out that fatty acids derived from plant fats do prevent cancer in comparison to fats derived from meat. Avacado seems to help fight pancreatic cancer.

Thu, 08 Oct 2009 #97

If one is interested in finding nice vegetarian restaurants and shops that sell delicacy and other vegetarain movement activities, one may subcribe or consult the website:http:://www.happycow.net

Sat, 10 Oct 2009 #98
Thumb_photo Prasanna P India 33 posts in this forum Offline

In a recent weekly gathering, the discussion touched the subject of 'vegetarianism'. Some one said that when animals eating other animals could be called as natural, even man eating other animals should also be seen as natural. Unbelievably, there were substantial number of people, who said 'yes' to it.
Is it a situation where 'conditioning' dominates the intelligence ?

Unless Advanced, K's Teachings May Remain As Ineffective As of Now

Tue, 13 Oct 2009 #99

Conditioning, Intelligence apart, there is the unending pollution destroying our precious little water resources and soil... just think about this monstrosity of man polluting the MOTHER EARTH!

Tue, 13 Oct 2009 #100

If mankind is normal or natural psychologically, will these things happen ?

Tue, 13 Oct 2009 #101

NO, they will not happen, I agree.

Wed, 14 Oct 2009 #102

So, isn't it important to find and focus on the cause, rather than the effect ?

Wed, 14 Oct 2009 #103

yes

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 #104

Krish, you may like this one.
http://laughteryoga.org/index.php?option=com_co...

Wed, 21 Oct 2009 #105

Dear Prasanna, Thanks very much for posting it here. We have laughter groups here in Denmark and other European countries.but not all are vegetarians... but at least they relax in mind and body with their laughter. Thanks for drawing attention to the laughter-YOGA.

This post was last updated by Krishnan Srinivasan Wed, 21 Oct 2009.

Thu, 22 Oct 2009 #106

Krish, yes it is a growing phenomenon, like beatles or TM or Osho. Undoubtedly, he is a man to be watched. Very often when people become more or less free in their minds, they begin to talk about vegetarianism. They think that vegetarianism may have caused them to become free. It may be the other way round. Freedom makes them less indulgent and hence vegetarians.

Here also we have some vegetarians, who are greedy and think dangerously and also there are some non-vegetarians, who think humanely and generously, which you may say as exceptions. Be that as it may, I think non-vegetarianism is more out of over indulgence, rather than a qualitative aberration. In other words, I would like to put it that when people become less indulgent, they become vegetarians on their own. What do you think ?

Thu, 22 Oct 2009 #107

Prasanna P wrote:
I would like to put it that when people become less indulgent, they become vegetarians on their own. What do you think ?

Thu, 22 Oct 2009 #108

Yes we do live in an over-indulgent culture where consumerism and greed rules over all.In the ancient Indian treatise " VICHARA SANGIRAKAM", fasting and abstinence from water and food is emphasized to gain spiritual knowledge or expand ones spiritual domain.Control over the food we take in is a means of inducing spiritual enquiry.The food we put in our body operates our MIND! Vegetarian food is sufficient enough to sustain the body and maintain the mind.But the conditioning with taste makes one over-indulge in unwarranted ways, and hence SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI advocated controlled intake of SADVIKA-Type food(meaning food that brings harmony and paece to the body&mind).
I can see there would be changes in mans habits with looming financial and food crisis all overe the world and hopefully minimalization of over-indugent practices such as Non-vegetaraianism. Nature has an uncanny way of bringing a feed-back to the vast human consciousness!

Sat, 24 Oct 2009 #109

The food we put in our body operates our MIND!

The reverse could also be true. Man's actions including eating are guided by his mind.

Sat, 24 Oct 2009 #110

Yes we can endlessly assert to each other which came first, the chicken or the egg, the point here is to take care of both. I was simply citing a reply from SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI with regard to suitable food for spiritual development. ANNA(food) sustains the body which houses the mind and hence the control of the sustenance mechanism has an effect on the body and mind.

Sat, 24 Oct 2009 #111

Krish, You aren't wrong. I wasn't even trying to find any anamoly in your discussions. I was simply trying to say that if human mind was protected enough to grow and function in its natural way, then perhaps mankind wouldn't over indulge at all.
Present overindulgence is neither by discretion nor by lack of knowledge about the harmful effects of eating animal products. What do you think?

Sat, 24 Oct 2009 #112

The fundamental issue is whether the brain cells, which have been conditioned, can really bring about a mutation in themselves. -
J. Krishnamurti, Kinfonet Quote of the day Oct 24, 2009 >

Without mutation, perhaps mankind may not be able to think rationally.

Sat, 24 Oct 2009 #113

Prasanna P wrote:
if human mind was protected enough to grow and function in its natural way, then perhaps mankind wouldn't over indulge at all. Present overindulgence is neither by discretion nor by lack of knowledge about the harmful effects of eating animal products. What do you think?

Sat, 24 Oct 2009 #114

Prasanna P wrote:
if human mind was protected enough to grow and function in its natural way, then perhaps mankind wouldn't over indulge at all. Present overindulgence is neither by discretion nor by lack of knowledge about the harmful effects of eating animal products. What do you think?

Sat, 24 Oct 2009 #115

Dear Prasanna, I take the point you are making.You live in Karnataka where VEERSAIVISM flourishe(s/d,) There was a seeking in the spirit of Man in India,may be even today it lingers on.Those people were really on to the Mind searching and in the process strict diet regulations are/were made. Present over-indulgence can be compared to Exhibiting ones sexual potency and aggression... that is all. Millions are starving while others gulp&gloat.. Is it not an insensitivity of the individual Mind?How can any talk by you/me or Jk with his mutations of the braincells can induce sensitivity in humans? It is allright to consume fish in Greenland &Arctic areas where Bananas are seldom available... but modern man is living in modern comfortable cities consuming like a jungle-living-barbarian.May be supermarket-plastics cover all the blood&cruelty away from his jungle-mind-of-insensitivity....

This post was last updated by Krishnan Srinivasan Sat, 24 Oct 2009.

Sun, 01 Nov 2009 #116

German Wrtier Christian Morgenstern(1871-1914) wrote:"If the modern civilized person should kill the animal, he/she, would eat, the number of vegetarains in the world would increase astronomically."

Fri, 13 Nov 2009 #117

The population of the world was just around 900 millions during Napoleans period in Europe.Today, it is nearly 7 billion ! If everyone on this Earth would consume the energy and resources as Americans do today, we may need 5 more Earths to supply us all with resources&energy! Is it not time to think over the population Exploison?
Is it not high time we all become vegetarians as well as consume less energy & resources?....

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 #118

Is it not time to think over the population Exploison? Is it not high time we all become vegetarians as well as consume less energy & resources?....

Krish, in a recent marriage function that I attended, nearly a thousand guests were sitting comfortably in the choultry. When a friend asked me the same question, I pointed out how come so many people are comfortably sitting in this space. He replied that people are sitting quietly because the because the choultry is comfortable. My next question was, similarly can't we make this world comfortable for all of us.

According to me, non-vegetarianism, population explosion and other innumerable problems of mankind are merely the results of a disorder in the mind. Instead of removing each problem, perhaps it is easier to focus on the disorder of the mind. What do you think?

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 #119
Thumb_avatar Paul Lanzon United Kingdom 24 posts in this forum Offline

Prasanna P wrote:
According to me, non-vegetarianism, population explosion and other innumerable problems of mankind are merely the results of a disorder in the mind. Instead of removing each problem, perhaps it is easier to focus on the disorder of the mind. What do you think?

Hi Prasanna, You have hit the nail on the head. People talk about these things as though it's a matter of choice between vegetarianism or meat. Anyone who has a natural compassion and reverence for life cannot possibly harm an animal, let alone kill one to eat. The idea of breeding animals for human consumption is criminal and definitely the sign of a mind that is in pieces.

I hesitate to judge the aboriginal people of Australia, who do eat animals - perhaps the terrain does not provide enough vegetation - but they seem to have a deep respect for the animals, and, anyhow, they would never kill more than they require.
I was thinking of the appalling slaughter of the american bison by the white usurpers of that once harmonious land. The indiginous people revered the land and never took more than they needed - it was sacred to them. Along came Pale Face and the result was there for all to see: a masterpiece of chaos which is with us still.

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 #120

Paul Lanzon wrote:
I hesitate to judge the aboriginal people of Australia, who do eat animals

Yes. You can't judge them, since they're aboriginals, not the so called 'civilized' like us!

Displaying posts 91 - 120 of 127 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)