Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
Awareness in our world today | moderated by Krishnan Srinivasan

What are the components or sustaining forces of self ?

Closed_forum

Displaying all 15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 #1
Thumb_12 madhav mool Nepal 19 posts in this forum Offline

Actually, the world is marvelous or the living planet in this world as far as concerning living creature here instead of other planet. That's why we are greatest or pure benediction of nature, but we are in misterous to ourselves. In this connection, can we explour what are the elements of the self.

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 #2
Thumb_readytoloadup_correction Krishnan Srinivasan Denmark 322 posts in this forum Offline

madhav mool wrote:
In this connection, can we explour what are the elements of the self.

Life is like the tamarind fruit bound in its shell

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 #3
Thumb_readytoloadup_correction Krishnan Srinivasan Denmark 322 posts in this forum Offline

Can one consider"breath"/breathing as the the element of the "self" ?Selfhood continues even after a deep-sleep.where is it when we are in deep-sleep?Is it disappearing totally or is it masked by something else? Is my"self" different from your"self"? Is there a COMMON
SELF?
Madhav MoolJI, you mention elements, are you referring to the famous"PANCHA-BOODHAS"?Please explain what are these elements that constitute the"self"?

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 #4

I've feeling of self, it may be my condition or reflection from my culture or there's a scientific reason and science give full description that we can get information from different sources, beside that I'm questioning whether there's a cause and effect of being self. We can get illustration in different belief as a birth compulsory. How you consider it?

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 #5

madhav mool wrote:
I'm questioning whether there's a cause and effect of being self. We can get illustration in different belief as a birth compulsory. How you consider it?

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 #6

Dear Madhav Moolji,
You are pushing me into unchartered waters.Honestly,the root of cause&effect is embodied in what in Hindu/Buddhist belief-systems as "Karma" and it creates this "self" and that may make birth as compulsory. One cannot escape it etc. Scientifically speaking, I do not know. If I knew how to cut off this constant "self", would I be free of cause&efect cycle(Karma).? If I focuss ,within myself, and destroy or annihilate my"selhood",will all my karma(cause&effect) vanish into thin air?

Fri, 31 Jul 2009 #7
Thumb_avatar Richard Kover United States 14 posts in this forum Offline

madhav mool wrote:

I've feeling of self, it may be my condition or reflection from my culture or there's a scientific reason and science give full description that we can get information from different sources, beside that I'm questioning whether there's a cause and effect of being self. We can get illustration in different belief as a birth compulsory. How you consider it?

Hi madhov,

Sure, a feeling... a reflection of culture... a scientific explanation... a result of cause and effect... a birth compulsory... Each of these seem to carry a piece of the concept, but in the end is an 'explained' self anything more than a concept with a powerful hold on the imagination and reactive behavior of humans? When I consider the self it is bound to be limited, since consideration stems from another aspect of the self.

So, while the self can consider the self, what would be the significance of such consideration in regard to human behavior? Is there such a thing as a "momentary self", the self in self-knowledge rather than in 'self-consideration', which does not direct behavior and does not continue from moment to moment, but is new each moment?

Richard K.

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 #8

Dear Richard.
I got some measurement from your reply to my topic. Lot of thanks for it, but I'd like pose my view about self. I've my own self-concept about me and I'm unable to free from it. In the same time, I think there's a so much humanbeings here who all have own self-expierence, all that be correct ?

Sun, 02 Aug 2009 #9

madhav mool wrote:
I've my own self-concept about me and I'm unable to free from it. In the same time, I think there's a so much humanbeings here who all have own self-expierence,

Yes, we all have self-experience, and that is what we seem to communicate with our words.

Is it self experience or self-knowledge that is of the greatest significance? Self experience is of 'my' particular self isn't it? Is self knowledge of 'my' self, or does it bring with it an understanding of the nature of the human self, the self without a particular image attached?

Tue, 04 Aug 2009 #10

We all are under the umbrella of Krishnamurti's "Truth is pathless land.....In this issue what we get glimps. Now our responsibility concerning K' Teaching in my opinion, as a reader of K, we get different perception than other person. Isn't it ?

Tue, 04 Aug 2009 #11

madhav mool wrote:
Now our responsibility concerning K' Teaching in my opinion, as a reader of K, we get different perception than other person. Isn't it ?

Isn't personal perception a limited 'perception', whether of K's teaching or of life? We most certainly do get different 'perceptions' as long as we are attached to any image about the meaning of life or a direction for life or the importance of 'self'.

In discussing "the elements of the self", is not one of those "elements" a tendency to hang on to personal views of K or anyone else? Can views ever be impersonal such that neither you nor I nor K, no self, is guiding or molding the view?

Thu, 06 Aug 2009 #12

Richard,
Then, we get problem as we get in Krishnamurti's book, K' only one remark to see personal image, when the reader find out image of reader and understand functioning of brain thinking process, then his book is not necessary, it (book) can be stop reading. isn't K's personal concept.

Sat, 08 Aug 2009 #13

Didn't K ask if we could live without the personal interfering with relationship to people, nature and ideas? "The Personal" is the problem in life, isn't it?

Mon, 10 Aug 2009 #14

In this connection, there's attachment and detachment, K used to say to see it and go on, isn't it ?

Sun, 25 Oct 2009 #15
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 5 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Hi Richard, It seems that the personal is the problem,or issue. This sense of the personal is the distorting factor, is it not? Is not the personal the image maker in the first place? K said in many different ways that TRUTH was not personal! So it seems that personalization leads to further illusion.

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Displaying all 15 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)