Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

QOTD

Displaying all 6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Wed, 13 May 2020 #1
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5949 posts in this forum Offline

Posting this, it seems so wonderfully simple:

Anything that we perceive directly, understand completely, leaves no scar on the mind. If you live in an experience wholly, although you may recall the incident, it will not produce those reactions which you use for your self-defense. If I have an experience whose significance I do not completely understand, then mind but becomes a centre of conflict and this conflict continues till I understand that experience wholly. As long as the mind is burdened with these conflicts, it is but a storehouse of defensive reactions, called memories, and with such protective memories we approach life, thus creating a barrier between life and ourselves, from which ensues all conflict, fear and suffering. This is what we are doing most of the time. Instead of being in that state of creative emptiness, mind becomes merely a storehouse of defensive memories. This bundle of defensive reactions we call the "I", that limited consciousness.

New York City | 2nd Public Talk 13th March, 1935

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 14 May 2020 #2
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3477 posts in this forum Offline

Argentina 1935...public talk:

Or take another example: suppose you have been brought up in a certain social class, with all its snobbishness, restrictions and traditions. With that hindrance, with that burden, you cannot understand or live the fullness of life. So these self-protective memories are the real cause of suffering; and if you would be free from suffering, there cannot be these self-protective values by which you seek to guide yourself.

If you will think over this, if your mind is aware of its own creations, then you will discern how you have established for yourself guides, values, which are but memories, as a protection against the incessant movement of life. A man that is enslaved to self-protective memories cannot understand life, nor be in love with life. His action towards life is the action of self-defence. His mind is so enclosed that the swift movements of life cannot enter it. He searches out eternity, immortality, away from life, the eternal, the immortal, and so he lives in a continual series of illusions. To such a man, whose consciousness is bound by memories, there can never be the eternal becoming of life.

Wow...life itself is the eternal...the immortal. How many of us actually feel...perceive...the fact that ‘life itself is the eternal...’?

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Thu, 14 May 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 14 May 2020 #3
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 182 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Wow...life itself is the eternal...the immortal.

Not just life but everything, totality, all of what is. When thought is still and the heart is open, the whole is, outside of time. Not fixed, in motion, alive.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Thu, 14 May 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 16 May 2020 #4

Tom Paine wrote:
Argentina 1935...public talk:

Seems like the 1935 extract that I posted above encouraged you to look at other old talks, Tom. It did me too.

I guess up to now I mostly dismissed K's younger-day talks, thinking they were somehow contaminated by "Theosophy stuff". As I read some of them now, I see this was a mistake on my part. The talks are .... different, perhaps they cover fewer issues, they are maybe more direct, shorter - but I don't see any contradictions between then and his later talks.

Was the state of human consciousness back in the 30's significantly different than what it is now? Not in absolutely fundamental ways, certainly, But the audiences he was addressing may have had somewhat different issues to contend with, on the surface. The questions that were put to K tended to be concerned with God, organised religion, spiritual authority, and "was K really the World Teacher?"

From I have read, K laid great emphasis on not accepting, not creating, any sort of spiritual authority. even before his famous "truth is a pathless land" speech in 1929, he was greatly disturbing his audiences, questioning all that they had come to accept as members of "The Order of the Star", and as Theosophists.

K was perhaps more poetic in his younger days, and often came up with a different turn of phrase. For example:

"Truth is harsh to those who do not understand, but Truth is lovable, kindly, generous and lovely to those who do understand".

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 16 May 2020 #5

if you do anything because of fear, at the bidding of another, woe to you, because along that way lies sorrow and pain.

Have not all my friends urged me all the time to follow one thing or another? Have they not always said: Be careful of what you do, of what you say. Be careful of your position. You must say this and you must not say that. Patience is a divine gift! Had I obeyed any one of them, I should never have found that eternal, absolute, happiness. Because I doubted the very things they maintained, because I would not accept anything that was put before me, I have found that Kingdom which is eternal and without variance; I have fulfilled life. And I would say to you, do likewise, not because I say it, but because you yourself want to enter, you yourself want to find that absolute peace, that liberation which is the culmination of all experience, that Truth which is of no person, which is of no organization and of no church.

Let Understanding be the Law, 1928

If one acts through the background of many prejudices, surely that action, being impeded, must inevitably create a further limitation of the mind. If one has a background of religious prejudices, action must create conflict in the present. But if one begins to question and thus understand the significance of values, traditions, ideals, past accumulations which make up the background, then the mind shall know the beauty of action without sorrow. Experiment with what I am saying and you will know. We have many prejudices, fears, accumulative values, which are continually thwarting fulfillment in action, and so there is an ever increasing incompleteness and the burden of tomorrow.

Montevideo, 1935

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 16 May 2020 #6
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3477 posts in this forum Offline

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0D76t4rbrRkO5Wj...

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Sat, 16 May 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 6 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)