Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

Practical K Teaching Needed Now

Displaying all 2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Fri, 03 Apr 2020 #1
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 182 posts in this forum Offline

With the coronavirus pandemic, the world is facing a crisis unlike any seen by anyone currently alive. There is the danger of getting sick. There is fear. There is tremendous economic hardship. There is uncertainty. Whatever your routine is, it has likely been disrupted in a significant way.

To me, this moment that we find ourselves in is not about intellectual subtleties in what K spoke about. No. It's important to take time to sit and simply be aware. And then awareness in relationship is very important right now.

We are under stress. We must watch it in ourselves and others. We are stuck at home either by ourselves or with those that we live with. You can get cabin fever. So we must be aware of it. Otherwise, I get angry with the person I love and live with. I spread animosity against the grocery shopper who comes too close to me. And so on.

So now, more than ever, awareness, when alone, when in relationship, is crucial. There is real physical danger. With awareness, we need not compound it with unnecessary psychological conflict.

In other words, we simply need to be extra nice to ourselves and each other. And that means attention now.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 04 Apr 2020 #2
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5949 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
With the coronavirus pandemic, the world is facing a crisis unlike any seen by anyone currently alive.

Perhaps. But it can reasonably be argued that the “real” crisis is the human mind, as this lies behind the vast majority of the crises that mankind has ever faced. Maybe not earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruption, meteoric impact, and the like (although how we meet that sort of thing is determined by the state of human consciousness). Probably even the corona virus created itself because of people's cruel and ego-driven eating habits. Even before the virus appeared, not only were there many crises on the near horizon, but also actually happening.

Climate crisis, the destruction of the natural environment in so many ways, cutting down pristine forest, plastic pollution of the rivers and oceans, incredible air pollution in the world's cities, over population, depletion of fertile soil for growing food, rapidly increasing ill-health of the population. depletion of the ocean's fish and the unknown consequences of rapid and mostly uncontrolled developments in technology. We are said to be in the age of the sixth mass extinction of species, “the great dying”. There is the ongoing development of weapon technology, endless wars, and huge numbers of refugees. And on and on and on.

Of course we have to meet the threat of the virus as intelligently, efficiently as possible, but let us not loose track of where the essential problem lies. And that is a great issue, I feel, people are so busy solving problems, great and small, that we have no time or energy to look at the source of all problems.

idiot ? wrote:
In other words, we simply need to be extra nice to ourselves and each other. And that means attention now.

While not arguing about the need to be nice to each other, “needing to be nice" is an indication that the opposite exists, does it not? And indeed I find there is much that is 'not nice' in consciousness. I will not say “my consciousness” because I don't think it is “mine”, it is human consciousness. I can see all sorts of reactions arise in me, continuously, violence, greed, resentfulness, jealousy, envy, competitiveness, dislike, all the myriad manifestations of self. This is part of what K described, I think, as “being the world”. I AM the world, I AM all those things, as they arise. And I know no way to stop them arising.

However, there is, as you emphasize Id, the possibility of awareness. This indeed is what makes the difference, I find. With awareness, all these reactions, although they arise/are born/rise to the surface, DO NOT NEED TO materialise in relationship. They dissolve in the light of awareness.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 2 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)