Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

Reflections on the Covid-19 viral pandemic

Displaying all 6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Thu, 26 Mar 2020 #1
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5772 posts in this forum Offline

There has already been some mention, naturally enough, of the Covid-19 viral pandemic, which is probably affecting us all, in one way or another. So I thought I would start a thread to see if people have reflections and questions to share. Here in NZ we are just starting today a 4 week “lockdown” period, which is really stringent.

I start off the thread with an excerpt from a mail from a friend:

Do you remember, how I have sometimes felt that the only things to really learn is how to die? I don't know how may of us will come out of this unscathed....but I very much hope that we will all perhaps become more aware of the utter triviality of our existence. Perhaps the enforced lockdowns will slow everything to a point where awareness will increase. 

Maybe the best thing to come out of it all is that the air quality has improved dramatically here....can actually breathe clean air for a change. One has to live with small pleasures in these times.

It is indeed interesting to see the many improvements to society that the virus seems to bring. What sort of effect will it have on human consciousness, if any?

Sign in to recommend
1 day ago #2
Thumb_spock Douglas MacRae-Smith France 251 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
What sort of effect will it have on human consciousness, if any?

So far I'm only seeing more of the same - the usual confirmation bias. Humans will be humans.

Personally, confinement in France, has meant a more regular exercise and meditation schedule - and I have also started to watch videos of AI robots playing chess. This despite the fact that I don't play chess, nor want to.

Look, see, let go

Sign in to recommend
24 hours ago #3
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 106 posts in this forum Offline

There are always silver linings. For example, here in Los Angeles, where traffic has been dramatically reduced, the air quality is probably the best it's been in decades. I am enjoying breathing deeply and having clear lungs.

But the truth is that many will die from coronavirus, hospitals will be overwhelmed, and we likely have induced a worldwide economic recession, or possibly even a depression.

Krishnamurti:
We have a crisis in the world. A tremendous crisis.

Indeed so.

This post was last updated by idiot ? 24 hours ago.

Sign in to recommend
12 hours ago #4
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5772 posts in this forum Offline

I have been listening to the news on the radio here in NZ quite a lot. News and discussions. I think I can detect some different movements in society. There seems to be a much greater willingness to co-operate, to work together, to put aside the things that were previously dividing people. Perhaps this is only a manifestation of that well-known phenomena of uniting against a common enemy, a common threat. But it is interesting to watch.

I think in part this movement towards working together is a result of a certain confidence and respect for the NZ Prime Minister. Her decisions, her action, seem a reasonable response to the challenge. The opposition party is no longer automatically opposing all that the government does, but instead supporting; not playing party politics.

I don't want to paint an idealised picture, but I have never before heard a political leader use words like “kind” and “compassion”. Of course there is still a certain of panic buying and hoarding going on. But I am not aware of individuals and businesses using the situation to exploit others.

Given that the pandemic challenge has produced indications of 'a better society', a more rational, equal society, one naturally asks why this did not come about before? Given that at the moment society is working on only essential services, one asks why was such an enormous amount of energy previously spent on the inessential?

I have often thought how odd it is that we have apparently created the sort of society that no one likes very much.

Based on the very very small and unrepresentative sample of a few of my friends and acquaintances, I would say that people are actually appreciating, enjoying even, the new situation of living in 'lock-down'. They have leisure, the roads are almost free of traffic, sky seems clearer, air is better, there is an extended quietness in which the birds and the cicadas can be clearly heard.

Of course no one here has died of the virus as yet, and the medical system is not vastly over-stretched as it is in other countries.

Anyway, it will be interesting, if/when this all blows over, to see if any permanent change for the better has been produced (assuming that I am around to see it!). According to my understanding of K, it will not be, as a fundamentally different society can only be a result of a different human consciousness, and that new consciousness could not be a result of pressure, of influence.

Sign in to recommend
5 hours ago #5
Thumb_spock Douglas MacRae-Smith France 251 posts in this forum Offline

Society/culture is always undergoing change - violence towards minorities is no longer considered to be a good thing, war between sovereign states has been illegal since the 1950's, bodily mutilation of children is less prevalent, etc etc...
The change is even more dramatic during and after a catastrophy.

For example, one could say that this is the first time in history that a persons right to live is considered to be more important than the collective GDP.

Look, see, let go

Sign in to recommend
2 hours ago #6
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3318 posts in this forum Offline

We no longer have slavery in the US and the Nazis no longer rule Germany, yet the roots of all that remain. So on the surface there are definitely improvements, yet a monster like Trump can still get the overwhelming support of his party.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 6 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)