Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

When nothing is everything (a new look)


Displaying all 30 posts
Page 1 of 1
Mon, 10 Feb 2020 #1
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

To perceive without thought, or to look, but not from thought, demands everything in the sense of abandon of all content of consciousness.

The content of consciousness is also consciousness itself just like the thinker is the thought.

You cannot keep one thing and not the other, since it is choice itself that is abandoned in pure percpetion.

Of course this total abandon could not be done by any entity thought has put together because that entity is a creation of the content, of choice.

And yet, exactly because that which is not of content is no thing or image at all, the abandon demands at the same time absolutely nothing.

One is left with the living realisation that everything and nothing are one.

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Mon, 10 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 10 Feb 2020 #2
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5683 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
To perceive without thought, or to look, but not from thought, demands everything in the sense of abandon of all content of consciousness.

The content of consciousness is also consciousness itself just like the thinker is the thought.

You cannot keep one thing and not the other, since it is choice itself that is abandoned in pure percpetion.

Of course this total abandon could not be done by any entity thought has put together because that entity is a creation of the content, of choice.

This is beautifully and elegantly put.

And yet, exactly because that which is not of content is no thing or image at all,

Can you give an example of "that which is not of content"? Or cannot "it" be expressed in words?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Tue, 11 Feb 2020 #3
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
mina>And yet, exactly because that which is not of content is no thing or image at all,

Clive>Can you give an example of "that which is not of content"? Or cannot "it" be expressed in words?

Mina: Any/all expression, any manifestation, any form, is born out of that which is beyond expression, beyond manifestation, beyond form.

Therefore

The unmanifested itself cannot be expressed but it expresses itself in every thing.***

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Tue, 11 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Tue, 11 Feb 2020 #4
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
Of course this total abandon could not be done by any entity thought has put together because that entity is a creation of the content, of choice.

That entity is will or desire or choice, yes.

And yet, exactly because that which is not of content is no thing or image at all, the abandon demands at the same time absolutely nothing.

So it must happen spontaneously then? Your sentence above at first glance seems absurd. Or it happens only when I understand the entity who is will, choice, desire? Through self knowledge...understanding?

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Tue, 11 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 12 Feb 2020 #5
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Mina>And yet, exactly because that which is not of content is no thing or image at all, the abandon demands at the same time absolutely nothing.

Tom:So it must happen spontaneously then? Your sentence above at first glance seems absurd. Or it happens only when I understand the entity who is will, choice, desire? Through self knowledge...understanding?

m: My sentence above describes the fact that the awakening of intelligence in us is not an action of thought. Thought/knowledge/image/memory is the 'something'. In that sense I say that an insight into our real nature as undivided beings, demands no thing, nothing. With me so far? :-)

Yes, spontaneously, which means without a cause, without a motive, without a reason, beyond the laws of thought.

...

This very awakening IS the total self-knowledge, the total understanding of the entity who is will, choice, desire.

It is true that many times the awakening we talk of is preceded by work of earnest self-inquiry which may still be connected to thought, and yet any actual insight is always unconditional, causeless, timeless, thoughtless, whole.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 12 Feb 2020 #6
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 93 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
So it must happen spontaneously then?

To see, you just look. Is there any will involved? If so, barely any.

But if you have lived nearly all your life with a blindfold on, you're not going to see until you take it off. How do you take it off? There is a how, but way more important is noticing you are wearing the blindfold. After that, the how of taking it off pretty much happens by itself.

What is the blindfold in this analogy? It's thought. So the "how" is being aware of thought. K calls that "self knowledge." Awareness of thought when you're alone. Awareness of thought in relationship. Seeing how thought works, how it boosts an ego. The endless tricks and twists.

What is seeing in this analogy? It is simple, clear awareness. Seer and seen dissolved.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 12 Feb 2020 #7
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
What is the blindfold in this analogy? It's thought. So the "how" is being aware of thought. K calls that "self knowledge." Awareness of thought when you're alone. Awareness of thought in relationship. Seeing how thought works, how it boosts an ego. The endless tricks and twists.

Ojai, 1945....8th Public talk

“This tranquillity of understanding is not produced by an act of will for will is still a part of becoming, of craving. Mind-heart can be tranquil only when the storm and the conflict of craving have ceased. As a lake is calm when the winds stop, so the mind is tranquil in wisdom when it understands and transcends its own craving and distraction. This craving is to be understood as it is disclosed in every day thought-feeling-action; through constant self-awareness are the ways of craving, self-becoming, understood and transcended. Do not depend on time but be arduous in the search of self-knowledge.”

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Thu, 13 Feb 2020 #8
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5683 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote #5:
It is true that many times the awakening we talk of is preceded by work of earnest self-inquiry which may still be connected to thought, and yet any actual insight is always unconditional, causeless, timeless, thoughtless, whole.

Is there some contradiction here, Mina? You say that insight is causeless, etc, yet suggest it may be in some way connected to work done by thought?

This post was last updated by Clive Elwell Thu, 13 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Fri, 14 Feb 2020 #9
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
Is there some contradiction here, Mina? You say that insight is causeless, etc, yet suggest it may be in some way connected to work done by thought?

Mina:

Let us describe the psychologically conditioned mind in a person as a heap of garbage.

In order for some other movement than keeping on accumulating more trash on the heap, as is the way of the mind to function, there must be some passion in us for finding out what is true in the world and in oneself, some choiceless and fundamental dissatisfaction with the state of the world.

Now, through this earnest (not ego-driven) inquiry, as the person starts diving into this heap to find out more about its nature instead of accepting it as 'the way things are' and continuing to add on it, we could say that through increasing self-understanding garbage starts to be thrown out.... and a loosening and lessening of the density of the pile starts happening...even some rays of light can now pierce in it bringing more clarity and passion for the digger to go on with its work..

(seeing the image of some tins and cans being thrown out as the diver is going deeper into the pile to learn about is nature :-)

(Tom, if you read this, if the inquirer in the example was you, I bet there would be a couple sardine tins thrown in the air) :-) :-) (Tom has expressed a liking towards sardines on many occasions) :-) :-)

...serious again...

We could say that something fundamentally different is happening in this self-inquiry process when the direction is turned to inquiring into the nature of the mind itself instead of just going on leaving the mind and the world of suffering it is creating, unexamined, for the sake of conformity to its ways and lies.

Now, as the diving goes deeper and deeper there will come a point where the inquirer itself must be discovered as another sardine tin!!

Also the inquirer itself must be burnt up in the fire of attention to what is true!! THIS cannot be caused by anything, it happens out of, and in grace only.

Otherwise the observer-observed- movement continues, the very existence of the inquirer ultimately creating both itself and the trashy surroundings and not realising this...

The timeless, the directionless, the whole, the motiveless, the insight, the intelligence, the love, is in the burning up of the observer and the observed..

....

This may not always be how one comes to the 'final insight' (the 'final insight' is not in time, not having past, not an experience, not a state, not caused by anything) ..but most often it appears to be..other members of the forum would know of their so called personal stories to say if they can relate to the process described above...

It could be that the limited cosnciousness put together by thought just collapses in someone without any digging into any heaps of trash of oneself/world ever, without any suffering, but I sense that going through the birth channel so to speak (I prefer that image to trash, do not want these cans to be flying around any more! :-) :) ), through the pains of labour, for the new life to manifest, is most often the way...

Let us be new born every moment..

In love,
minnie

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Fri, 14 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Back to Top
Fri, 14 Feb 2020 #10
Thumb_spock Douglas MacRae-Smith France 212 posts in this forum Offline

What we can do over time is to avoid adding more stuff to the heap. By knowing that thought is just conditioning conditioning, or habit reinforcing itself.

But if the Bottom falls out of the heap, it is instantaneous and without any effort on our part.

Look, see, let go

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Fri, 14 Feb 2020 #11
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Douglas MacRae-Smith wrote:
What we can do over time is to avoid adding more stuff to the heap. By knowing that thought is just conditioning conditioning, or habit reinforcing itself.

But if the Bottom falls out of the heap, it is instantaneous and without any effort on our part.

Mina: Yes. The bottom falling out of the heap is the awakening of intelligence in other words :-)

In a way inquiry, appearing in the form it was described in one's reply, is no longer there once the illusion of the observer/observed has been totally revealed in one. It changes one forever. It is as irreversible as death. There is no turning back, no one there to turn back or do anything else at all psychologically. It is discovered that there never was anything else but the timelessness..

It is intelligence, not the reactionary mind, in which one is now living rooted..

If anything unclear, anything 'psychological' is felt within, if any 'whys' should occur :-), intelligence is naturally let to 'deal with it', the mind and its efforts and resistances having no longer place to settle in one...The mind could only accumulate on itself but never in the emptiness in which it is absent..And that is intelligence in action..

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Fri, 14 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Fri, 14 Feb 2020 #12
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
Now, as the diving goes deeper and deeper there will come a point where the inquirer itself must be discovered as another sardine tin!!

Interesting post Mina...thanks! Of course in many of us we don’t see the empty sardine tins for what they are. We see ideals and attachments as a way OUT of the garbage dump of our problems. For years I pursued music and art hoping that success in either field would bring security. Nothing wrong with having a career or pursuing ones artistic goals, but suffering isn’t touched by artistic or career success as we see all the time in the lives of all the great artists and musicians who suffer through terrible lives.....Billie Holiday, Michael Jackson, Elvis, and so on.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Fri, 14 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Fri, 14 Feb 2020 #13
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
Now, as the diving goes deeper and deeper there will come a point where the inquirer itself must be discovered as another sardine tin!!

Also the inquirer itself must be burnt up in the fire of attention to what is true!!

Attention to what is, not to what is true. We don’t know what’s true when there’s conflict of any sort, do we? Maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 15 Feb 2020 #14
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Attention to what is, not to what is true. We don’t know what’s true when there’s conflict of any sort, do we? Maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

Mina: Interestingly, the attention that is talked of, is always to what is true and only!

How come? :-)

First of all, we are not talking about the attention or limited focus of an observer here, but of attention that is choiceless and is not an activity of thought.

Now, when/if inner conflict arises (and the observer/observed division IS nothing but inner conflict!)and is NOT being met and continued with more of the same energy of conflict, this very 'not moving away from it in the mind' IS the gathering of the energy of holistic attention.

Since the nature of this attention is whole, it is not attentive to the expressions of the false division because of its nature of being whole, true. This energy cannot have an object or subject, observer and observed, it is of a different dimension of wholeness.

Yet, at the same time this is the holistic attention to all conflict!

So, exactly through being wholly attentive to the conflict it ceases to be attentive to it in any divided sense of subject and object as separate.

This is exactly why the the false is doomed to dissolve in it, and that is the transformation of the false into what is true, or rather the discovery that only the 'what is' of wholeness is true and is there. Nothing else is.

That is the pure 'what is'. It is not related to anything else but itself, because of its nature as everything.

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Sat, 15 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 15 Feb 2020 #15
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
only the 'what is' of wholeness is true and is there. Nothing else is.

That is the pure 'what is'. It is not related to anything else but itself,

The ‘pure what is’ is not ‘what was’ then. It’s the unknown present movement of life. I think I get the gist of your post, Mina . Will come back to it after I digest it fully . Coffee first... early AM here . But let’s assume I have a religious belief or ideal . Attention to that perhaps brings understanding of the false nature of ideals no? So it’s attention to what is false.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Sat, 15 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 15 Feb 2020 #16
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Tom>The ‘pure what is’ is not ‘what was’ then. It’s the unknown present movement of life.

Mina: Right, exactly so.

Tom:Will come back to it after I digest it fully . Coffee first... early AM here .

Mina: Again clear. :-) First things first. :)

Tom:But let’s assume I have a religious belief or ideal . Attention to that perhaps brings understanding of the false nature of ideals no? So it’s attention to what is false.

Mina: Yes, understood. The gist is to be the light of this attention in which that which is a creation of inattention (thought as a psychological reality) is bound to dissolve because they cannot co-exist.

So, as was said, it is exactly the full attention to a belief that dissolves it.

And the reason the psychological reality and attention cannot co-exist is the fact that only the 'pure what is', the pure attention is real.

There is no other.

Thank you.

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Sat, 15 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 15 Feb 2020 #17
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
Tom Paine wrote:

So it must happen spontaneously then?

Idiot ?: To see, you just look. Is there any will involved? If so, barely any.

But if you have lived nearly all your life with a blindfold on, you're not going to see until you take it off. How do you take it off? There is a how, but way more important is noticing you are wearing the blindfold. After that, the how of taking it off pretty much happens by itself.

What is the blindfold in this analogy? It's thought. So the "how" is being aware of thought. K calls that "self knowledge." Awareness of thought when you're alone. Awareness of thought in relationship. Seeing how thought works, how it boosts an ego. The endless tricks and twists.

"Thinking is always limited. We are not saying you must not think. Please do not jump to the other conclusion. On the contrary, you have to think tremendously to find out the limitations of thought." K. "The Beauty of Death"

Let it Be

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 15 Feb 2020 #18
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5683 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote #9:

Grace?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 15 Feb 2020 #19
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5683 posts in this forum Offline

Douglas MacRae-Smith wrote:
What we can do over time is to avoid adding more stuff to the heap. By

Looking at this, without denying it. Is it not the nature of the heap to add more stuff to itself?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 15 Feb 2020 #20
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5683 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
But let’s assume I have a religious belief or ideal . Attention to that perhaps brings understanding of the false nature of ideals no? So it’s attention to what is false.

But if you DO hold to a religious belief or ideal, then you are not likely to pay choiceless attention to it, are you? That is the nature of belief or conclusion, isn't it? Isn't that why so many people are stuck there?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sun, 16 Feb 2020 #21
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
Douglas MacRae-Smith wrote:

What we can do over time is to avoid adding more stuff to the heap. By

Looking at this, without denying it. Is it not the nature of the heap to add more stuff to itself?

Butting in here to ask, how did you discover that? Through awareness of yourself right? I don't know if the above is correct or not, but it does seem likely that the heap perpetuates itself.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sun, 16 Feb 2020 #22
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
Tom Paine wrote:

But let’s assume I have a religious belief or ideal . Attention to that perhaps brings understanding of the false nature of ideals no? So it’s attention to what is false.

But if you DO hold to a religious belief or ideal, then you are not likely to pay choiceless attention to it, are you? That is the nature of belief or conclusion, isn't it? Isn't that why so many people are stuck there?

Indeed...valid point, Clive. That's why I found K's talks so valuable over the years. Listening to K one often gets insight into the way beliefs and ideals have conditioned the mind.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 17 Feb 2020 #23
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5683 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Listening to K one often gets insight into the way beliefs and ideals have conditioned the mind.

Is it accurate to say the mind is conditioned? or is it that the mind IS conditioning? Seems an important distinction. Watching the mind throughout the day, I would very much say the latter. And I AM that conditioning.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 17 Feb 2020 #24
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
Grace?

Mina: Think I said in my reply..something happens 'out of grace'..That expression is meant to describe the causeless nature of the awakening of intelligence in us.

It is the pure perception (without thought or matter), the pure energy that awakens one to realise that one IS this pure energy.

Being without time or distance or limit, it can only discover itself, not 'something other than itself'.

This pure energy can only be discovered to be what one is.

..

There is no greater discovery than this.

It puts an end to the suffering that exists or has ever existed in the human mind.

All this is so utterly serious, not a thing of the mind to play with, that I will post this also as a new thread for more accessibility.

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Mon, 17 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 17 Feb 2020 #25
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
Douglas>What we can do over time is to avoid adding more stuff to the heap. By

Clive>Looking at this, without denying it. Is it not the nature of the heap to add more stuff to itself?

Mina: Clive has a very valid point here I feel...

When I read Douglas's reply some days ago, the part that Clive is quoting remained unclear to me. Glad that Clive is bringing it up again.

Was only focusing on the 'bottomless heap' in my reply, to which Douglas also referred, because that is for this one the only reality..:-)

...
Now..

What is the heap (as a reminder, we are talking about psychological accumulation)
that is not added more stuff on...either it is there and more is coming all the time to be added to it through 'new' partial experiences of thought OR, if the bottom is falling away constantly (or not even taking form in total awareness) there is no basis at all in order the psychological having no place to accumulate on.

So yes, perhaps Douglas could come back to this, if he will...

...

It is coming to mind now that it is possible that some strong psychological trauma is in the mind which in a way remains there, as a scar at least, and could be activated from time to time, even when intelligence is also operating in this person's life in the way that the trauma is not added more to it.

Strong traumas, especially created in childhood in a young fresh brain, create their own actual also physically strong pathways in the brains(do not ask details, I do not have the knowledge but remember reading about this) which can keep being triggered under some circumstances.

Here the key is in NOT IDENTIFYING WITH THE TRAUMA, and now it is seen..

that the trauma is really in essence the EGO, the collective trauma

and the healing is in not identifying with it, which is again an action in intelligence because the ego itself is a creating of identification between observer and observed!

This healing happens every time intelligence is let to act on an arising traumatic (psychological) reaction...

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 17 Feb 2020 #26
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Tom:>But let’s assume I have a religious belief or ideal . Attention to that perhaps brings understanding of the false nature of ideals no? So it’s attention to what is false.

Clive:>But if you DO hold to a religious belief or ideal, then you are not likely to pay choiceless attention to it, are you? That is the nature of belief or conclusion, isn't it? Isn't that why so many people are stuck there?

Mina: The above quotations, in their own ways, are pointing to the fact of attention and inattention never meeting. When one is, the other is not.

To have a belief (to think one has anything and to think there is the one to have or have not :-) ) IS inattention.

Thinker/thought IS inattention.

So, attention, as i already pointed out in a previous reply, is NOT to the inattention in the sense of 'attention having the object of inattention', because whole attention is free from both subject and object (thinker/thought).

*Bringing it to the context presented by Tom, attention is not to the belief but it reveals there is no one there to believe in anything.

And Clive, just like there is no one real to have a belief or hold onto it, there is also no one real to pay choiceless attention to it.*

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Mon, 17 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 17 Feb 2020 #27
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 5683 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
t OR, if the bottom is falling away constantly (or not even taking form in total awareness) there is no basis at all in order the psychological having no place to accumulate on.

Mina, I have lost track of what you mean by "bottom" in this context.

Mina Martini wrote:
This healing happens every time intelligence is let to act on an arising traumatic (psychological) reaction...

And that "act on" is no action at all, isn't it? That is, no reaction.

Mina, you talk of identification, or its absence, and certainly identification is the key to the self. If I may be anecdotal for a moment - it comes because I was remembering this yesterday - In the book by Aldous Huxley "Island", one of the characters is dying of cancer. Her husband comes to be with her, and asks how bad the pain is. She replies, in a whisper, "It would be bad, if it was my pain".

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Tue, 18 Feb 2020 #28
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
To have a belief (to think one has anything and to think there is the one to have or have not :-) ) IS inattention.

Yes, that's Clive's point.

Thinker/thought IS inattention.

Yes.

So, attention, as i already pointed out in a previous reply, is NOT to the inattention in the sense of 'attention having the object of inattention', because whole attention is free from both subject and object (thinker/thought).

*Bringing it to the context presented by Tom, attention is not to the belief but it reveals there is no one there to believe in anything.

Interesting...not that I share your understanding here, but surely there can be insight into the dividing nature of belief...Christian vs. Jew, Republican vs. Democrat, no? And the limited nature as well...seeing the world ...or behaving according to ...Christian or Muslim theology is obviously limited and limiting.

And Clive, just like there is no one real to have a belief or hold onto it, there is also no one real to pay choiceless attention to it.*

YOu lost me here, I have to admit. Probably time for my morning coffee...will come back to this later, time permitting.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Tue, 18 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 #29
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

Mina:
*Bringing it to the context presented by Tom, attention is not to the belief but it reveals there is no one there to believe in anything.

T: Interesting...not that I share your understanding here, but surely there can be insight into the dividing nature of belief...Christian vs. Jew, Republican vs. Democrat, no? And the limited nature as well...seeing the world ...or behaving according to ...Christian or Muslim theology is obviously limited and limiting.

M: And Clive, just like there is no one real to have a belief or hold onto it, there is also no one real to pay choiceless attention to it.*

I want to return to this because I’m not sure you addressed the issue fully, Mina. Or possibly I’m not understanding your point. But today’s QOTD from K in New York in 1936 (2nd public Talk) speaks, not about attention, but about being aware of what is....of ourselves as we are:

“How is one to discern this beginningless ignorance with its volitional activities? How is one to bring about its end? How can one become deeply thoughtful, integrally aware of the process of consciousness with its many layers of tendencies, cravings, hatreds and desires? Can any discipline or system help one to recognize and end this process of ignorance and sorrow?
By experiment you will perceive that no system, no guide and no discipline can ever help you to discern this process or bring ignorance to an end. You need an eager, pliable mind, capable of direct discernment in which there is no choice. But as your mind is prejudiced, divided in itself, it is incapable of true discernment. As you are prejudiced you have to become aware of that fact before you can begin to discern what is actual and what is illusory. To discern, there must be awareness. You must become aware of the movement of your thought and its activity. Whatever you do, do it with the fullness of mind and you will perceive that in this awakening process, many hidden and subtle thoughts and cravings are revealed. When the mind is no longer bound by choice there is the experience of actuality. For choice is based on wish, and where there is wish there cannot be discernment. By right effort of awakened interest, the beginningless process of ignorance, with its self-sustaining activities, is brought to an end. It is by right endeavour that the mind, freeing itself from its own self-created fears, tendencies and cravings, is able to discern the real, the immeasurable.”

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Wed, 19 Feb 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 19 Feb 2020 #30
Thumb_open-uri20200202-16653-rg2qz5-0 Mina Martini Finland 418 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
But as your mind is prejudiced, divided in itself, it is incapable of true discernment. As you are prejudiced you have to become aware of that fact before you can begin to discern what is actual and what is illusory. To discern, there must be awareness. You must become aware of the movement of your thought and its activity.

Mina: The whole quote is crystal clear, one is never saying anything different than what is pointed out in the quote as well.

The above part of it is interesting because have written about exactly same thing, in slightly different words on the forum. It is just one's own insight in everything, and not following anyone. Thanks for the quote.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Displaying all 30 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)