Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

You cannot do a thing about fear

Displaying all 6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sat, 11 Jan 2020 #1
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

“Fear is part of you, therefore you can’t do a thing about it...psychologically.” Brockwood Park, August, 1976

https://youtu.be/3qLnFF_gU_I

Any comments?

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 11 Jan 2020 #2
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3260 posts in this forum Offline

“Fear must be totally eliminated, and we say it’s possible.” from same talk

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 11 Jan 2020 #3
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1718 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
“Fear is part of you, therefore you can’t do a thing about it...psychologically.”

As in if it's raining outside, you can't make the sun come out. Unless I have a tiger chasing me, the fear we're talking about is generated by thought: "what will I do", what will happen to me, will she fall for someone else,will I be lonely, will I go broke, is that pain I feel fatal, etc., etc.? Thought creates the image of this or that happening and then thought tries to suppress the feeling, reacts, to negate it, to substitute, etc....in any case, it attempts to do something about the fearful image it has generated. It's quite crazy when you see it for what it is. But when you don't see it, it causes prolonged fear and it causes suffering. The fact is is that we do not know what the next moment holds, no-one does, we can plan ahead, but we cannot know. But thought 'imagines' that it does. Like a seer, it can somehow see the future...but it can't. So understanding this the attention in the face of a moment of 'fear' shifts to the thought or thoughts that are presenting themselves with their dire images about what could, might, maybe, take place. Not meeting them with a reaction of escape or suppression which is understood as being just more thought which will create additional reactions etc., what happens to that original 'fear' thought when it gets no additional 'fuel'?

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Sat, 11 Jan 2020.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 12 Jan 2020 #4

Dan: The fact is is that we do not know what the next moment holds, no-one does, we can plan ahead, but we cannot know. But thought 'imagines' that it does. Like a seer, it can somehow see the future...but it can't. So understanding this

Intellectually we understand it, yes. Not sure that this will eliminate fear, however.

the attention in the face of a moment of 'fear' shifts to the thought or thoughts that are presenting themselves with their dire images about what could, might, maybe, take place. Not meeting them with a reaction of escape or suppression which is understood as being just more thought

But the escapes are so appealing, aren’t they? Can we easily put away our pleasures....or images of pleasure, which are such a ready escape from our inner pain? Could be something as simple as pouring a cold beer or putting on some favorite music. It’s based upon thought, yes, but it can take us out of the rut we’re in with fear.

which will create additional reactions etc., what happens to that original 'fear' thought when it gets no additional 'fuel'?

It gets no fuel if we run away as well. Not saying that attachments don’t sometimes lead to additional problems.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 12 Jan 2020 #5
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1718 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Intellectually we understand it, yes.

No, you have to watch it in action. You're walking along and you have this thought...and you see it. You see what it's doing. You understand what it's leading to and it's ended.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 12 Jan 2020 #6

Dan McDermott wrote:
Intellectually we understand it, yes.
No, you have to watch it in action

Yes...observing oneself

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 6 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)