Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

What does it mean, NOT to be the world?

Displaying posts 121 - 123 of 123 in total
Tue, 08 May 2018 #121
Thumb_stringio Huguette . Canada 561 posts in this forum Offline

Clive Elwell wrote:
I started to wonder that if this switch is identified in the human brain, and a way found to activate it, would it only toggle physical fear, or psychological fear also? That would be quite profound - basically a pill to solve a very basic human problem.

But I can well imagine the first use of such a discovery, such a pill - to give to soldiers so that they are 'fearless' in battle.

Isn't fear, whether it stems from physical or psychological danger, the same response physiologically? I mean, just by looking at what is happening physiologically, I don't think anyone can determine what kind of danger the fear is a response to. Isn't it the source which determines whether fear is based on a real threat or not?

Interestingly, the Vikings supposedly activated something like this switch in their warriors called "berserker". They were either driven to a frenzy through rituals or by ingesting something. I have a suspicion that there are other similar examples, even closer to our era.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #122
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 4266 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:
there is such a thing as being overly-sensitive but there is also such a thing as being authoritarian.

Sorry Huguette, somehow your last two posts slipped past me, I just noticed them.

Yes indeed. I was asking myself why it is (to quote an old Indian saying that K also used) "he who says he knows does not know"? And it came that we can never know the truth, because the truth is always new. All that we can know is the past.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #123
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 4266 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:
. I have a suspicion that there are other similar examples, even closer to our era.

And also by dulling the mind, so we don't see the awfulness of what we are doing - thinking of soldiers again, although yes, one could no doubt bring it closer to home. Through various rituals, the conditioning of instinctively obeying orders, and I have read in WW1 and 2 they were never short of cigarettes.

Huguette . wrote:
Isn't fear, whether it stems from physical or psychological danger, the same response physiologically?

I'm not sure. it is clear that the experience of hurt and physical danger may become psychological, but when when we just meet a threat, don't we simply act - which is really the action of intellegence?

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 121 - 123 of 123 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)