Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

When you are eating, eat.

Displaying all 3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 #1
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 4328 posts in this forum Offline

Questioner: I feel that my daily life is unimportant, that I should be doing something else.

Krishnamurti: When you are eating eat. When you are going for a walk, walk. Don't say, " I must be doing something else". When you are reading give your attention completely to that, whether it is a detective novel, a magazine, the Bible, or what you will. The complete attention is a complete action, and therefore there is no " I must be doing something else". It is only when we are inattentive that we have the feeling of " By Jove, I must be doing something better". If we give complete attention when we are eating, that is action.

What is important is not what we are doing but whether we can give total attention. I mean by that word not something we learn through concentration in a school or in business, but to attend, with our bodies, our nerves, our eyes, our ears, our minds, our hearts - completely. If we do that there is a tremendous crisis in our lives. Then something demands our whole energy, vitality, attention.

Life demands that attention every minute, but we are so trained to inattention that we are always trying to escape from attention to inattention. We say, " How am I to attend? I am lazy". Be lazy, but be totally attentive to the laziness. Be totally attentive to inattention. Know that you are completely inattentive. Then when you know that you are totally attentive to inattention, you are attentive.

Saanen talk 9 July 28, 1966

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 #2
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 4328 posts in this forum Offline

have you posted this in the right thread, Juan?

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 21 Feb 2018 #3
Thumb_img-0590 Mina Martini Finland 234 posts in this forum Offline

Juan E wrote:
All this works only within the stream, outside of it it has no meaning at all ... Buddha, K, exist only in the stream, outside of it there's no Buddha, no K, no Juan, no Clive ...

Mina: This is not seen to be what K is describing. He talks of total attention, and the stream is created by divided attention, in other words by inattention. In total attention no observer, no experiencer of oneself, can survive, including of course any others which are the experiencer's own reflections. (so as you say, no buddha, no K, no clive, no juan, no mina etc) -So, I do not see how you say 'this works only within the stream'. On the contrary, total attention takes place in the absence of the stream (of inattention).

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 3 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)