Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

Who are the 'we continuing in the same path'? (to Juan and all)

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 107 in total
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #1
Thumb_img-0590 Mina Martini Finland 97 posts in this forum Offline

Dear Juan and all,

Beginning this as a new thread, as it developed from the Trump-thread, because I felt it needed more attention to share together.

Juan:Yes this is key Dan, sadly this requires the world to stop which i'm afraid that it will not happen and we all will continue along the same worn out psychological path as usually.

Mina: The world created and maintained by thinker can only continue along the same path that it itself is. That is simply its nature. It cannot do anything else. This is why it is absolutely urgent and choiceless, for the one feeling the absolute necessity which is its own action, to be the void in which this insane world cannot continue.

In the void that one is, there is no world, no psychological path. There is no reality to the utterance "we all will continue in the same worn out psychological path as usually". But yes, as far as the reality created and lived by thought is concerned, there is only continuing in the same old paths.**

Where are you (anyone), or who are you, in all this?

(By the question, I am not inviting you to put yourself in any category, to choose between imaginary realities, but it is rather an invitation for observation together.)

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Mon, 09 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #2
Thumb_de4 Dan McDermott United States 789 posts in this forum Offline

Mina Martini wrote:
Where are you (anyone), or who are you, in all this?

Hi Mina, all

My question appears this AM to be, what if I don't 'see' that the inner 'me' world and the 'outer' world (everything else) is the "same" and that I am apart from the rest of the world. My guess is that most people see it in the same way... that the outer and the inner are separate. And though the inner (me) can have some small effect on the outer it is pretty negligible and what I think about all this has really nothing to do with the rest in terms of perpetuating it ,etc. So when I hear, learn, read about this possible way of seeing the world, that i.e. "you are the world" or that the outer and the inner is one, etc., I'm 'hooked'. I want that vision rather than this 'stale' old one of me here and the rest, there. That vision sounds like what the word 'enlightenment' is all about. I want it. So the 'search' for the 'holy grail' begins and only luck (and karma?) knows in whose 'hands' you'll wind up.

So here is my question (I think) K. is saying "be what you are,and be aware of it". So I am aware that I am someone who wants what I don't have: this vision that I am the world Which in K.'s words is just more "becoming", I want what I see I don't have, could be money, could be fame but in my case it's wanting to see that the "inner and the outer" are one?. Is there some mental 'trick', I've overlooked or does it come back to just 'not wanting' ("craving") anything?

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Mon, 09 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #3
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 1992 posts in this forum Offline

Dan McDermott wrote:
Is there some mental 'trick', I've overlooked or does it come back to just 'not wanting' ("craving") anything?

No more mental tricks, please! :) That's what got us into this mess....the thinker trying to DO Something....to achieve something or other...the thinker thinking he is separate from the thought....observer separate from observed. Maybe it comes down to observing ourselves 'as we are' in the course of daily living...in the 'mirror of relationship', to use K's words.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #4

Tom Paine wrote:
Maybe it comes down to observing ourselves 'as we are' in the course of daily living...in the 'mirror of relationship', to use K's words.

Hi Tom

So it comes down to taking someone else's word for it, that 'the outer and inner are one' or that "you are the world"? How do we know that it's 'true', if we don't see it that way now? Is it like a 'belief', that if we 'do' this or 'don't' do that it will happen, this new way of seeing...? Organized religions do that don't they? "Do this and you'll go to 'heaven'..."

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #5
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 1992 posts in this forum Offline

Dan McDermott wrote:
So it comes down to taking someone else word for it, that 'the outer and inner are one' or that "you are the world"?

No, of course not. If we don't see it ourselves, we don't see it. That not seeing is the fact....'what is'. If we are blind to what K was telling us, we are blind.

Dan McDermott wrote:
How do we know that it's 'true', if we don't see it that way now?

We don't. Are you implying we 'should' see or be something?

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Mon, 09 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #6

Tom Paine wrote:
. Are you implying we 'should' see or be something?

Isn't that implicit in all those years of reading, and watching K. that you "should" see or "be" something that you're not? (Free?)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #7

Dan McDermott wrote:
Tom Paine wrote:

. Are you implying we 'should' see or be something?
Isn't that implicit in all those years of reading, and watching K. that you "should" see or "be" something that you're not?

Not for me, Dan. I suffer....I feel conflict....and I ask what is the cause. I want to investigate it....in 'myself'(consciousness...thought, feelings)...but not in isolation...in relationship....with my wife, my friend, my boss, the beggar, the neighbor....with tv, sports, entertainment, smoking or drinking, and so on. My life...my daily living.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #8

Tom Paine wrote:
Not for me, Dan. I suffer....I feel conflict....and I ask what is the cause. I want to investigate it.

OK but for me behind all this investigation is the desire for the end of suffering, of conflict, of fear and confusion...to be free of it and to see the world and myself as K. and others here have spoken about it. That is my 'motive' and interest in all this. That is 'what I am'. (Greedy for what I want.)

I want to 'really' see that 'I am the world', not as a slogan but to 'live' it.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #9

Dan McDermott wrote:
That is 'what I am'. (Greedy for what I want.)

I want to 'really' see that 'I am the world', not as a slogan but to 'live' it

The universe doesn't care about what you or I want ;) OK, you admit you are greedy. That's another issue. At the root of greed is suffering. Suffering makes me greedy for what I don't have. I don't know....does that make sense?

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #10

Tom Paine wrote:
Suffering makes me greedy for what I don't have. I don't know....does that make sense?

Bottom line is, no 'self'/thought/time, = no psychological suffering...but...

Later:

what I'm seeing (being seen?) is that 'total awareness' (being as 'nothing') dispels identification. If 'what I am" is seen with total awareness, identification with that state ends. The 'state' is transformed.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #11

Dan McDermott wrote:
How do we know that it's 'true', if we don't see it that way now?

Dan and Tom, yes, if we do not see it as true right now in ourselves, through our own perception which is not dependent on what ANYONE ELSE has ever said about it, then we talk about mere beliefs, in time.

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Mon, 09 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #12

Dan McDermott wrote:
OK but for me behind all this investigation is the desire for the end of suffering, of conflict, of fear and confusion...to be free of it and to see the world and myself as K. and others here have spoken about it. That is my 'motive' and interest in all this. That is 'what I am'. (Greedy for what I want.)

I want to 'really' see that 'I am the world', not as a slogan but to 'live' it.

Mina: Beautiful, thank you! And if I really 'want to see', with the whole of my being, so much so that there is nothing else than this burning desire, that very energy is already of different nature, it is already opening your heart wide, burning away the limited desires of thought, burning away all motive, burning your self away..That is the living it, the being it...

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #13

Dan McDermott wrote:
what I'm seeing (being seen?) is that 'total awareness' (being as 'nothing') dispels identification. If 'what I am" is seen with total awareness, identification with that state ends. The 'state' is transformed.

M: Only shivers of wonder, going through the body, also in the brains themselves, when reading these powerful words of wisdom, of truth!!! Thank you!!!

You are describing what this writer put into the words 'What you are fully, you are not'..Awareness transforming all states that are created by thought, into awareness...This is the 'polluted waters being cleansed when they enter the purity and vastness of the ocean'..

in silence empty of content and full of passion, m.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #14

Mina Martini wrote:
And if I really 'want to see', with the whole of my being, so much so that there is nothing else than this burning desire, that very energy is already of different nature, it is already opening your heart wide, burning away the limited desires of thought, burning away all motive, burning your self away.

Do you really believe this Mina? A man....you, me, the drug addict or alcoholic, politician, priest, anyone,...who is full of confusion, craving, fear, anger, depression, inner conflict.... can somehow wish(desire...thinking) this(and a lifetime of conditioning and belief) all away? A partial excerpt from today's QOTD:

"As a drawer is useful only when empty so the mind must be free of all its accumulations for only then can there be that openness to wisdom and the ecstasy of the Real. Tranquillity of wisdom is not the result of an act of will, it is not a conclusion, a state to be achieved. It comes into being in the awareness of understanding."

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #15

Tom Paine wrote:
Do you really believe this Mina? A man....you, me, the drug addict or alcoholic, politician, priest, anyone,...who is full of confusion, craving, fear, anger, depression, inner conflict.... can somehow wish(desire...thinking) this(and a lifetime of conditioning and belief) all away? A partial excerpt from today's QOTD:

M: Your own interpretations and reactions..nothing to do with what this person was saying. You keep getting so caught in words.

K:>"As a drawer is useful only when empty so the mind must be free of all its accumulations for only then can there be that openness to wisdom and the ecstasy of the Real. Tranquillity of wisdom is not the result of an act of will, it is not a conclusion, a state to be achieved. It comes into being in the awareness of understanding."

M: Yes, absolutely so. This person is not saying anything contrary to the above.

Any experienced contradiction is born by experience which is also the experiencer. (thinker is thought)

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #16

Tom Paine wrote:
K.(The tranquility of wisdom) "It comes into being in the awareness of understanding."

I think Mina is saying the same thing: if there is "understanding" (total awareness) of the state of 'what I am' at any moment, that "awareness" itself transforms the state. The 'identification' with it dissolves. The metaphor that she posted above seems to me very apt: "'polluted waters being cleansed when they enter the purity and vastness of the ocean'.." Not an "act of will" at all.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #17

Mina Martini wrote:
M: Your own interpretations and reactions..nothing to do with what this person was saying. You keep getting so caught in words.

But the words can be misleading, right? Your use of words...your understanding of the meaning of certain words...must be somewhat different than mine. The K. quote we were discussing had nothing whatsoever to do with desire. Understanding has nothing to do with desire....even a burning desire for the truth....does it? It would be like desiring God. How can we desire what we don't know....the unknown? The known has to end. Can I (the known) desire my own ending? We only desire what we know, right? Can you clarify what you're trying to say here? "And if I really 'want to see', with the whole of my being, so much so that there is nothing else than this burning desire, " That's the part that sounds so misleading. Sorry, but that's how it appears to me and I wouldn't want to pretend otherwise. K talks about emptiness and openness. Is desire going to empty the 'drawer'?

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 09 Oct 2017 #18

Dan McDermott wrote:
if there is "understanding" (total awareness) of the state of 'what I am' at any moment, that "awareness" itself transforms the state.

I wasn't questioning that point dan...only the part of Mina's post which I quoted above in #17.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #19
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 3729 posts in this forum Offline

Dan McDermott wrote:
Isn't that implicit in all those years of reading, and watching K. that you "should" see or "be" something that you're not? (Free?)

Well certainly K has not said this. His teachings were not concered with the 'should be”. What he has said, it seems to me, is that there is a real possibility of freedom. Freedom from the known. Not just said, but it appears that he lived this. although one could not prove this absolutely.

The "should be" is basically always an image, is it not? And so can be seen as such.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #20
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 3729 posts in this forum Offline

Dan McDermott wrote:

Is that really your motive, Dan? Your driving force? Or is it discontent with what is? A discontent that cannot be assuaged?

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #21

Tom,

Tom:> Can you clarify what you're trying to say here? "And if I really 'want to see', with the whole of my being, so much so that there is nothing else than this burning desire, " That's the part that sounds so misleading. Sorry, but that's how it appears to me and I wouldn't want to pretend otherwise. K talks about emptiness and openness. Is desire going to empty the 'drawer'?

Mina: The way I used the word 'desire' has nothing to do with the desires that come from the mind/thought/thinker. I used the word to describe an energy within a human being, which is love for what is true, and by itself it surpasses the energy of thought. In essence this energy does not have to do with ANY WORD, be that word 'desire, emptiness, openness' etc. Words are only pointers and descriptions. For as long as we live as experiencers, thinkers, we live IN THE WORLD OF WORDS, and that is when we get confused with them. But I am talking about THE EMPTY DRAWER which is the mind without content. That is what I mean by desire that fills up your whole being. That is the same as emptying the drawer!

Let us forget about what K says about this or that. You said you wanted no more tricks, so please, let us look together, like two empty drawers ....let us not put a single thing in the drawer...and all the things are thought-interferences into pure observation..

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #22

Suddenly a wave of love for you Tom...came from nowhere...did not seem to take it out of the drawer...:-) Be careful when opening those tins of sardins every day..not to hurt your fingers..you are a musician also aren't you...

Realising that in the emptiness of the drawer (mind) is love...

Do you remember when Dan said in another thread...something like.."Mina and Tom seem to be looking from different perspectives"..and something like..."how are they to meet"....(not exact words)...and it came to me suddenly that we meet in compassion, and that is all that is ever needed to reach out to each other..

This post was last updated by Mina Martini Tue, 10 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #23

Mina Martini wrote:

Mina: The way I used the word 'desire' has nothing to do with the desires that come from the mind/thought/thinker. I used the word to describe an energy within a human being, which is love for what is true, and by itself it surpasses the energy of thought.

Obviously human beings don't love what is true, Mina. Mostly we are caught up in loving what is false, though we often get hurt by the 'false' as well. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.
I just wanted to to point out that a word like 'desire' or 'want' has a commonly understood meaning. When you use it the way you do, with a totally different meaning, you're going to be misunderstood by those who read the common meaning into your words, I notice this a lot when reading your posts which often seem to be pointing in the opposite direction to my own understanding....to what I've see for myself.. .understood about human consciousness..behavior. Then you come back to explain that I'm lost in the words ;) But your use of those words is not the common usage. Of course it's going to get people lost and confused about what in the world you're actually saying.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Tue, 10 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #24

Clive Elwell wrote:
Well certainly K has not said this.

No, I was speaking of the motive behind my search, and to not deny that it was to become 'something', to 'get' something.

Clive Elwell wrote:
Is that really your motive, Dan? Your driving force? Or is it discontent with what is? A discontent that cannot be assuaged?

Hi Clive,

What I saw in myself was what I tried to lay out in the post. It may be more complicated as you suggest, I don't know. But this recognition of 'greed' was in line with the experimenting 'in daily life', of trying to 'be what you are, whatever you are and to be aware of it', sinner or saint...it led to a 'new' understanding which connected with all those admonitions to 'not escape from what you are.' The 'awareness' or lack of it seems to determine the identification with the psychological state, i.e. what one is thinking, feeling...one's 'self'. Total awareness of it transforms it.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #25

Tom,

Obviously human beings don't love what is true, Mina.

Mina: Well I do!! And I guess I am a human being..:-)

(not talking about image of oneself, or of you, love for what is true is not made up of image)

Do you Tom? Are you not also a human being?

Do not start talking about 'others', they are all here.

We are infinitely more than mere images of ourselves. We are iinfinitely more that the whole of human consciousness that is put together and maintained by image.

The human consciousness is like a glacier put together by hardened hearts..the glacier is not the same thickness throughout, but there are places where the ice is very thin, where there is increased sensitivuty, and there are also place where the ice has melted altogether and only the ocean is left...We do not need to go to the thick and dense parts, let us focus there where the ice is thin, or melted away...Giving this image to shed light on the fact that we are doing this for the sake of all, we are all one. Love for what is true acts like digging holes in the glacier for more water to come in and melt the rest of it also. The one who can do it, MUST do it, to the very end. It is not a personal affair but always a matter of all.

Tom: Mostly we are caught up in loving what is false, though we often get hurt by the 'false' as well. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.
I just wanted to to point out that a word like 'desire' or 'want' has a commonly understood meaning. When you use it the way you do, with a totally different meaning, you're going to be misunderstood by those who read the common meaning into your words,

Mina: Yes, understand. But fundamentally, this person is always talking about pure observation and undertanding in which ALL OR ANY WORDS are being negated, undone, and this happens when a word is not given ANY MEANING AT ALL by other words, common or uncommon!

Tom:I notice this a lot when reading your posts which often seem to be pointing in the opposite direction to my own understanding....to what I've see for myself.. .understood about human consciousness..behavior. Then you come back to explain that I'm lost in the words ;) But your use of those words is not the common usage. Of course it's going to get people lost and confused about what in the world you're actually saying.

Mina: :-) :-) What I am actually saying is understood in a place where no words come. Me or you, as word, as image, do not come there. Yes, definitely, I use no word at all with a 'common usage'. The common usage refers to, fundamentally, how the mind has explained or defined the meaning of a word, which is always in duality, not complete!

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #26
Thumb_stringio Huguette . Canada 396 posts in this forum Offline

#2:

Dan McDermott wrote:
I want that vision rather than this 'stale' old one of me here and the rest, there. That vision sounds like what the word 'enlightenment' is all about. I want it. So the 'search' for the 'holy grail' begins and only luck (and karma?) knows in whose 'hands' you'll wind up.

#4:

Dan McDermott wrote:
So it comes down to taking someone else's word for it, that 'the outer and inner are one' or that "you are the world"? How do we know that it's 'true', if we don't see it that way now? Is it like a 'belief', that if we 'do' this or 'don't' do that it will happen, this new way of seeing...?

To me, what you say here is crucial, Dan: to see “what I am", not to try to deny or hide it. And doesn't "what I am" include the desire and effort to become "what I should be", the fear of being seen "as I am", and so on? In the actual seeing, there is no desire, no fear and no effort, is there? The perception of desire, fear and effort is free of thought.

What IS “me”? What IS “the world”? Don’t both "me" and "the world" consist of a constantly-changing actuality - a merry-go-round of pain and suffering, pleasure, struggle, desire, conflict, anger, hate, fear and compulsion, violence, jealousy, ambition, addiction, corruption, dishonesty, and so on, and selfless moments of love, beauty and compassion where there is no feeling of separateness? Aren’t both the inner and the outer shaped by thoughts, emotions and occasionally by silence? Is it so or am I making a false connection between the inner and outer? Am I forcing a square peg into a round hole to make it “fit” an idea?

When we talk about the outer - the “world” - aren’t we talking about the totality or collectivity of all actions of all human beings, actions which are the outcome of the same mental processes which govern “my”actions? That collectivity IS the world, isn’t it? Or not?

So don't we see that “I am the world”, that the inner and outer are 2 aspects of a single movement? Isn't the fact unshakable, solid, not a conclusion or baseless explanation?

Still I could be confused or unbalanced. One can't be certain of anything, can one? I look at it again and again and the fact is seen. I AM “the world”, the inner and the outer ARE the same movement. I still can’t be sure. There is no certainty.

To SEE that the inner self and the outer world are the product of the same process of thought is clarity ... or maybe delusion. But is clear perception what you mean by "enlightenment"? Or is it the bliss mentioned by K that is desired? Do I actually NOT see the fact that “I am the world”? Or is it that I had assumed that the understanding of it would bring me happiness? And, since it did not, have I concluded that I must not be seeing it? Does it follow that seeing leads to happiness?

Submitted for your consideration.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #27

Mina Martini wrote:
Tom,

Obviously human beings don't love what is true, Mina.
Mina: Well I do!! And I guess I am a human being..:-)

I wasn't speaking of you, Mina...the exception to the rule ;) I was talking of human nature. Does a violent man love his violence(which is the truth), or does he condemn it? Some may even enjoy expressing their violence(but that's not loving it). If I'm afraid, I(any 'I') don't love the fear right? Yet my fear is the truth. I guess we are speaking a different language. You're speaking about super humans...ideal humans. I was talking of every man....the ordinary man who is in conflict with himself....divided and fragmented....what we call human nature.

Do you Tom? Are you not also a human being?

Do not start talking about 'others', they are all here.

Well, not all the time. I don't feel love for the truth all the time, as far as I know. I sometimes get caught up in wanting something to be different than it is....or wishing I could overcome some perceived 'lack' in myself....like when I used to smoke and wanted to quit. I did't love the fact of my smoking...the truth. Sometimes I want to overcome some 'outer' situation that causes terrible anxiety....usually fear for a loved one.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Tue, 10 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #28

Dan,

Dan> So here is my question (I think) K. is saying "be what you are,and be aware of it". So I am aware that I am someone who wants what I don't have: this vision that I am the world Which in K.'s words is just more "becoming", I want what I see I don't have, could be money, could be fame but in my case it's wanting to see that the "inner and the outer" are one?. Is there some mental 'trick', I've overlooked or does it come back to just 'not wanting' ("craving") anything?

Mina: Wanting to see that 'the inner and the outer are the same', when/if that desire comes from thought which IS the division between inner and outer, is an absurd thing to want since the very wanting creates the inner and the outer and the division between them.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the sentence I have posted in bold from your reply. It is not clear to me what you mean.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #29

Mina Martini wrote:
Is there some mental 'trick', I've overlooked or does it come back to just 'not wanting' ("craving") anything?

I agree it is absurd but it was written out of a frustration felt then, but not now.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 #30

Huguette . wrote:
To me, what you say here is crucial, Dan: to see “what I am", not to try to deny or hide it. And doesn't "what I am" include the desire and effort to become "what I should be", the fear of being seen "as I am", and so on? In the actual seeing, there is no desire, no fear and no effort, is there? The perception of desire, fear and effort is free of thought.

Yes, agreed...free of the 'thinker'. The 'seeing', the 'awareness' is the freedom.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 107 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)