Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
A Quiet Space | moderated by Clive Elwell

Awareness .... hesitantly

Displaying all 9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Tue, 14 Feb 2017 #1
Thumb_stringio Huguette . Canada 199 posts in this forum Offline

We were brought up to believe that the intellect, the faculty of thought, was the gateway to and the source of creativity, learning, understanding, intelligence, even love. That belief has been our education, the conditioning which has been inculcated into our brain, our “wrong turn”, hasn’t it? Therefore, believing it, we have cherished, nurtured, nourished, attended to the intellect and, in our ignorance, we have neglected, even discarded, awareness as being insignificant, haven't we?

“We” means the human being - you, me, the world. “I” means you, “you” means I. If that is understood, I can say “I, we, you, without it being personal, without it being divisive. No?

Awareness is silent, wordless, but the word can come out of silent awareness and fall back into the silence. "Fall back" in the sense that it is not held onto, accumulated. Then we can use the word while understanding its limits. Where the word comes out of awareness, then we can truly communicate, understand each other, can’t we?

Do we need to be aware OF, or is it just awareness itself that is needed? If there is awareness, doesn’t it choicelessly, effortlessly follow that there is awareness OF? Then, BEING AWARE, isn’t there naturally, inevitably, awareness OF the contradictions, OF greed, envy, fear, conceit, violence, OF the intimations from the unconscious - so that it is awareness itself which teaches us about ourselves?

Awareness has its own presence or energy. The lifeless, vacuous silence of expectant thought is without energy, it seems to me. Dead or lifeless silence is what is experienced when “self” is waiting in expectation. A lifeless silence is thought, not awareness. We all “have” awareness, we do not have to get or achieve awareness. We just don’t understand the significance of awareness because we have been conditioned to the supremacy of thought. So awareness is “there” but we overlook or ignore it. No?

Awareness does not lend itself to being split or dualized. The moment it is split or dualized, it evaporates. The moment it is split or dualized, it is thought. The moment, I ask what exactly is the nature of awareness, it is thought asking, isn’t it? There cannot be the watcher and the watched in awareness. There are not 2. There is only 1 - awareness. In this sense, awareness is fragile. It is shattered by the slightest movement of self-centredness, by the slightest self concern, by the slightest explanation or analysis - all these being the occupations of self/thought. Awareness does not assert itself. Assertion is self asserting itself, isn’t it?

Without awareness, can there be understanding, learning, joy, peace, love, compassion? Without awareness, understanding and joy are merely the ideas of thought, aren’t they? Awareness is not a lifeless vacuum or void. Awareness is a living presence or energy.

This post was last updated by Huguette . Tue, 14 Feb 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 15 Feb 2017 #2
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 451 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:
In this sense, awareness is fragile. It is shattered by the slightest movement of self-centredness, by the slightest self concern, by the slightest explanation or analysis - all these being the occupations of self/thought. Awareness does not assert itself.

Thank you Huguette for the whole post.

Being aware that the current state of awareness is so much clearer and greather than some years ago I also see that this has nothing to do with time or accumulation or gaining, but with the energy on hand it grows, it's living in the moment without constraints or borders but as you say it soo fragile.

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 15 Feb 2017 #3

Yes, Wim, nothing to do with time, accumulating or exploiting :-)

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 15 Feb 2017 #4
Thumb_2474 Dan McDermott United States 527 posts in this forum Offline

I enjoyed reading your post Huguette. Here is a quote that I've posted before that I think also attempts to describe the "rarely heeded" awareness:

K."What you are...what you actually are, is being. Being is not the mind thinking. Thinking is a movement, a motion. Being is the silence that precedes the motion. You cannot see it; you cannot grasp it because you are it. The feeling that you are. The unadorned naked awareness that is always there, rarely heeded, is what you have always been, always will be. Cannot not be. You can't look for it because it is what is looking. It is like space, you can't see it but everything is in it. Everything is it. So I say to you, 'be aware when you are unaware' let its presence warm you, fill you. Be present in the Presence."

(J. Krishnamurti- private talk with Terrance Stamp in Ojai, CA )

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Wed, 15 Feb 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 #5
Thumb_kinfonet_avatar Clive Elwell New Zealand 2941 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:
and, in our ignorance, we have neglected, even discarded, awareness as being insignificant, haven't we?

I find myself wondering when I first heard the word “awareness”. I doubt very much it was ever mentioned as part of my education, or my being raised generally. Perhaps my first exposure was in the pages of a K book.

Yes, as you say, knowledge, the use of the intellect, was everything. It was the key to success, both in a career and in relationship. And perhaps the reason is that knowledge can be accumulated but awareness cannot. So it has no utility.

Obviously this neglect represents a serious warping of the growth of a human being.

One wonders how things might have turned out if one was fortunate to have had an education that was centered in awareness (as awareness played a central part in the lives of people in the book "Island” by Aldous Huxley). Can awareness be cultivated, encouraged? Either in another or in oneself, in fact. This is a question in itself. As a teacher I have dabbled with this. It was interesting, but somehow the demands of a knowledge-based society always take precedence.

But this is perhaps idle speculation. Awareness is the challenge of life to be met now, in whatever circumstances. And without prior knowledge of it

Huguette . wrote:
Do we need to be aware OF, or is it just awareness itself that is needed? If there is awareness, doesn’t it choicelessly, effortlessly follow that there is awareness OF?

Thank you for making this distinction, Huguette. Interesting. Are you saying that there is a state of awareness which has no object? And that from this state, awareness can focus as necessary, when the occasion arises? If this state exists, could one call it the state of alertness?

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 #6

Huguette . wrote:
Awareness has its own presence or energy. The lifeless, vacuous silence of expectant thought is without energy, it seems to me. Dead or lifeless silence is what is experienced when “self” is waiting in expectation. A lifeless silence is thought, not awareness.

I am somewhat puzzled by this Huguette, and perhaps we can go into it? Can silence be thought? Or can thought be silent? You seem to be suggesting it can be silent, but somehow still be contaminating that silence. As if it still has some ghostly presence when it has ended.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 #7

Clive Elwell wrote:
Are you saying that there is a state of awareness which has no object? And that from this state, awareness can focus as necessary, when the occasion arises? If this state exists, could one call it the state of alertness?

Clive, can "I" be aware OF anything if I'm not already aware ... without an object? ... it being understood that this "I" is the functional "I", not self. Perhaps more accurate - but awkward - to say, "can there be awareness OF anything if there is not already awareness?"

This post was last updated by Huguette . Thu, 16 Feb 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 #8

Clive Elwell wrote:
I am somewhat puzzled by this Huguette, and perhaps we can go into it? Can silence be thought? Or can thought be silent? You seem to be suggesting it can be silent, but somehow still be contaminating that silence. As if it still has some ghostly presence when it has ended.

I'm definitely not saying thought can be silent but it can "masquerade" as silence when it is expecting, hoping, bored, waiting patiently or impatiently. No?

50 minutes later: My words ("not saying thought can be silent") just came back to me and I realize that this is not clear. I think it is clearer to say that silence cannot BE thought, silence cannot be an action OF thought in any way. But when thought truly falls totally silent - consciously, subconsciously, unconsciously - there is silence. Do you see what I mean?

This post was last updated by Huguette . Thu, 16 Feb 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 17 Feb 2017 #9

Huguette . wrote:
but awkward - to say, "can there be awareness OF anything if there is not already awareness?"

So does that state of unfocused awareness (do you accept this term, Huguette?) differ in any way from the state of ... being alive ...... being conscious?

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 9 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)