Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Sam Harris and Atheism

Displaying all 2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 #1
Thumb_stringio Ken B United States 15 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Atheist Sam Harris's recommended reading list (link below) on Eastern philosophy contains two books by Krishnamurti. Wonder what his fellow atheists Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett and Christopher Hitchins would say about that?

http://www.samharris.org/site/book_category_rea...

"You will never find God at sixty, for at that age most people are worn out, finished." Krishnamurti

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 #2
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 649 posts in this forum Offline

Sam Harris introduces this recommended reading list with:

While I recommend the following books, I do not endorse many of their metaphysical presuppositions.

It is exciting that an atheist is interested in Buddhism, Krishnamurti and other spiritual areas. To me, Sam Harris is the best of the neo-atheist writers, although I strongly disagree with some of his political conclusions.

Instead of speculating on what the other prominent neo-atheists think about Sam Harris' spiritual interests, it would be interesting if someone could dig up some quotes from them.

Often atheists are very intelligent, in the traditional sense, not the Krishnamurti sense. Many followers of Krishnamurti are also very intelligent, in the traditional sense. These people love to think deeply. I too love to think deeply sometimes, to get totally lost in thought investigation.

Krishnamurti teaching at heart is stillness of mind, silence, quiet openness to the THIS of now. Some great thinkers may investigate meditation, really explore silence. But many will be so enamored with thought, so thrilled with their powers of mentation that they feel they cannot let it go. Perhaps surprisingly, deep thought and deep stillness of mind both can involve loss of sense of self. The absent minded professor can be quite absent. And yet there is a universe of difference.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Thu, 28 Oct 2010.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 2 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)