Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

On Relationships and Conflict

Displaying posts 151 - 160 of 160 in total
Fri, 25 Oct 2019 #151
Thumb_fuzzy6 Ken D United States 47 posts in this forum Offline

"Old boy, if you are hurt, remember, there is something wrong with you." Krishnamurti

"Sow the seed of freedom, which is to awaken intelligence; for with that intelligence you can tackle all the problems of life." Krishnamurti

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 25 Oct 2019 #152
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1447 posts in this forum Offline

The deadly snake is thought invading the the Psyche through pleasure and pain. We are hooked to pleasure . So we allow thought(the deadly snake) to invade the mind because of pleasure. The snakes are going to reproduce until pleasure is no longer the dominant factor in life.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 25 Oct 2019 #153
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 689 posts in this forum Offline

Ken D refers to:
In May 1985, a few days before JK’s ninetieth birthday, Mark Lee met JK for breakfast. By then Mark Lee had resigned as the director of Oak Grove School. Perhaps the separation wasn’t amicable. During the conversation at breakfast JK asked Mark Lee, “You are watching yourself. You have had a shock recently and are watching yourself. Right?” And then he asked, “Are you hurt by what happened?” Mark Lee said that there was no hurt but deep disappointment that he had not been able to deal with the situation effectively. JK then said, “Pardon me sir, but that is hurt.” That is when Mark Lee remembered what JK said to the director of Rishi Valley Dr. Balasundaram a decade earlier, “Old boy, if you are hurt, remember, there is something wrong with you.”

So this is a memory of a memory of something K supposedly said to a specific person. But that aside, yes, it's important to be aware of feeling emotionally hurt and how that may reveal attachment or whatever. But to condemn yourself? There's a loving, kind way to be aware, whether it's of yourself or others.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Fri, 25 Oct 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 25 Oct 2019 #154
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1447 posts in this forum Offline

There is no psychological hurt in the present. The 'I' which is hurt is the result of thought or the past. So thought or psychological knowledge breeds the hurting..

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 31 Oct 2019 #155
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 886 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
But that aside, yes, it's important to be aware of feeling emotionally hurt and how that may reveal attachment or whatever. But to condemn yourself? There's a loving, kind way to be aware, whether it's of yourself or others.

This is also how I see things. It is indeed important to observe, be aware of and understand the feeling of emotional hurt in ourselves. This is true of other feelings such as anger and fear. Can we observe and understand these powerful feelings as they arise? Can we see what is at the root of the cause of these feelings? I see this as one of the biggest day-to-day challenges we all face. In my experience, very few people are actually capable of this kind of self-observation. However, surely, as idiot? says, there's a loving, kind way to be aware. If we're at all sensitive to other people, we surely won't go around upsetting them unnecessarily.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 31 Oct 2019 #156

Sean Hen wrote:
If we're at all sensitive to other people, we surely won't go around upsetting them unnecessarily.

I agree with what you write in post 153, however I think we have to be careful of the last sentence that I have quoted above. I have known people, and you probably have, too, that are so worried about not upsetting others that they walk around on egg shells. There's a point where you are so nice and accommodating that you are no longer genuine. Sometimes the kindest thing is honesty, delivered with care, and it may be somewhat upsetting.

To be aware in a kind, loving way takes care of everything. It's the ultimate in being ethical and doesn't require any preconceived ethical ideas, yes?

I'm pretty sure you agree because you have been honest with me and I appreciate it.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Thu, 31 Oct 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 31 Oct 2019 #157

idiot ? wrote:
I agree with what you write in post 153, however I think we have to be careful of the last sentence that I have quoted above. I have known people, and you probably have, too, that are so worried about not upsetting others that they walk around on egg shells. There's a point where you are so nice and accommodating that you are no longer genuine. Sometimes the kindest thing is honesty, delivered with care, and it may be somewhat upsetting.

I think what you have written is very true. It's often difficult to get this right and I am sure I am sometimes guilty of compromising honesty by being a bit too nice. One interesting thing is how there are cultural differences in expressing things in a frank, honest manner. Although it's obviously a huge generalisation, I would say that here in Spain, and perhaps in the Mediterranean in general, people usually express how they feel in quite a direct, frank manner. In the UK, there is often a tendency to not talk about certain taboo things in case this upsets people. Honesty can be very communicative if delivered with care.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 #158

Sean Hen wrote:
I would say that here in Spain, and perhaps in the Mediterranean in general, people usually express how they feel in quite a direct, frank manner.

Yes, it is wonderful that you live somewhere different than where you grew up and see interesting cultural and language differences.

Here in LA, many Americans only speak English but Spanish is perhaps the second most spoken language and I think it's fun to speak. I was amazed at how LA Spanish, which is largely Mexican, and perhaps a bit Salvadorean and Guatamalan, is quite different from Madrid Castillano. Of course, there are pronunciation differences. But also many of the commonly used words are different. In Madrid, I heard "Vale, vale" frequently. Whereas we say, "Ok" or "Está bién." We do say "Vale la pena" but not so much "Vale" all by itself. I think you say "conducir" whereas we say "manejar" for "to drive."

Of course, British English versus American is similar. It's not just different pronunciations and spellings sometimes but also different common words. Like "trainers" versus "sneakers." I guess you know all this, but it is interesting.

Culturally, talking to strangers is an interesting one. No doubt I speak comfortably to strangers much more so than many native to London. But I, too, have my limits. Young people here working at the grocery store seem to have no problem asking for details about how I will be spending the afternoon. I usually answer with some non-answer like, "Well, I'll be spending my afternoon spending my afternoon." I'm pleasant but not forthcoming and they take the hint.

So there are all kinds of interesting differences between people, which makes things so much more fun than if the opposite were the case.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Fri, 01 Nov 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 01 Nov 2019 #159

I don't know what it means to talk nice to people. Does it mean to say hello or try to say something that they like or give them positive energy and so on ? But things are different in chatrooms. In chatrooms like this one everybody is unknown to each other. The only tool that we have in chatrooms are words. Words are all we share in here. Therefore we have the same problem. Misunderstanding simple English words.
It is probably the unconscious ego that tries to misunderstand words to make itself important. .

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 04 Nov 2019 #160

idiot ? wrote:
Yes, it is wonderful that you live somewhere different than where you grew up and see interesting cultural and language differences.

Hello idiot?. Yes, I think it is interesting to have different cultural references. Perhaps this does help one see things a little from the outside. Or maybe not. Anyway, I enjoyed hearing about life and language in Los Angeles. People, places and countries are always more complex than our mental images of them, aren't they? Take Spain for example - although Castillian Spanish is spoken throughout the country, there are several other official languages including Catalan, Basque and Galician. Catalan is particularly widely spoken in Catalonia and is the mother tongue of many of the inhabitants there. As you travel around Spain you can enjoy the regional culinary specialities as the the tradition of cooking is still quite strong. Many dishes contain meat or seafood which is not so good for the vegetarian. Still, there are plenty of markets selling high quality pulses, eggs, fruit, vegetables, cheeses and wines.

I think Krishnamurti had a fondness for Italy. In one of the Krishnamurti readers, I think, he writes about sitting around the dinner table with a group of people including a famous avante-guard Italian film director who was almost certainly Federico Fellini. I remember while I was at Brockwood Park in the late 1980s I met an Italian woman and I commented on this. "Oh", she said. "I was at that dinner too." I thought that that must have been a pretty interesting experience.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 151 - 160 of 160 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)