Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Are we really "progressing" in our understanding?

Displaying posts 151 - 180 of 207 in total
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #151
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 886 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
It seems what you have written above is also at play in the almost complete failure of humanity to address the climate crisis and the general destruction of the earth. It appears, from several sources of readily available evidence, that we are well on our way to destroying ourselves.

The British journalist and environmentalist George Monbiot is worth listening to on this subject. In a recent interview I heard him say that humanity has now gone beyond the point where individual action can save the planet. He said that on an individual level there are two big things you can do which will have an impact on the environment - stop eating meat and stop flying. However, in terms of saving the planet what needs to be done is to campaign to change the system which is destroying it. If we continue to live in a capitalistic system which is driven by growth in GDP as a measure of success, this will push the environment beyond a very dangerous tipping point. I'll post a link to the interview if anyone is interested.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #152
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5755 posts in this forum Offline

Sean, I agree with what you have posted above. Capitalism is largely responsible for bringing the world to the point of destruction. It's not sustainable. It is an economic system that has organized greed to benefit the few and exploit the masses.

I would appreciate it if you provide the link. Thanks

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Sun, 02 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #153

Jack Pine wrote:
I would appreciate it if you provide the link. Thanks

Hi Jack. This is a very short interview when George Monbiot appeared in a light-hearted programme but there is a lot of interesting stuff in what he says. You can watch here.

This post was last updated by Sean Hen Sun, 02 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #154
Thumb_stringio Huguette . Canada 539 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
Capitalism is largely responsible for bringing the world to the point of destruction.

I disagree, Jack. As I see it, capitalism has not organized greed. Greed has organized capitalism. You don’t see it that way? Do you think it’s a distinction without a difference? To me, it’s an essential difference. Capitalism is “out there”, others are responsible for it, not me. But greed is within.

As I see it, capitalism is not the heart of the problem and “overthrowing” capitalism is not the solution. Isn’t this just another idea engendered by the same old mind proposing the same old solutions to be put into "action" through the old process of effort, compulsion, division and so on? If it is the old mind, the old brain, the old consciousness, which is the problem, nothing that it decides or chooses to do can solve the problem, can it? Isn't this more or less what we talk about here? Either this is so and we truly see/understand it, or we don’t and we are just playing around with another “new” idea.

So are you proposing, like Monbiot, that overthrowing capitalism will solve the crisis? Or are you saying that it won’t but it might buy humanity more time? Or…..?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #155
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1453 posts in this forum Offline

I was going to post the question before I just read Huguette's and maybe mine is rhetorical but why is there still an expectation, or hope that 'things' should be any different than they are? How can it be expected that a fair, compassionate, intelligent system of government or a society, will arise when the people forming it are self-centered and greedy, ambitious etc.? The government and the society are what we are. Isn't that so? You may stop eating meat or flying in planes but that only adds to your comfort with yourself. You feel good about doing your part but remain basically self-centered and greedy and fearful..but do it: vote for the 'good' guys, march, carry signs, make speeches,etc... but don't confuse any of that with the 'flowering' that K. spoke about with Pupul Jaycar (sp?). (and spoke all over the world about for 60 years)

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Sun, 02 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #156
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
However, in terms of saving the planet what needs to be done is to campaign to change the system which is destroying it. If we continue to live in a capitalistic system which is driven by growth in GDP as a measure of success, this will push the environment beyond a very dangerous tipping point.

The rich and powerful will willingly give up their vast wealth and power? (A rhetorical question). Since the answer is obviously no, the alternative would be the kind of violent revolution that took place under Mao in China. The rich capitalists would have to be rounded up and imprisoned...or exterminated, when they resist. How many millions were imprisoned and murdered during Mao's revolution? I'm all in favor of a more progressive income tax here in the U.S....like increasing the tax on the most wealthy to 70%, but even that relatively simple change is not likely to get passed by a congress that works for the rich and powerful. The core issues are division, greed and power (for me) which are characteristics of the human mind....human consciousness. K always pointed out that change must begin there...in me.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 02 Jun 2019 #157
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1456 posts in this forum Offline

The question is that does one live the teachings? Below is the teachings. 1935!

"To discover what is true one requires great intelligence. Intelligence, to me, is not book knowledge. You may be very learned and yet be stupid. You may read many philosophies and yet not know the bliss of creative thinking, which can exist only when the mind and heart begin to free themselves through conflict, through constant awareness, from the stupidities of the past and from those that are being built up. Then only is there the ecstasy of that which is true.".
Krishnamurti Quote of the Day
New York City | 1st Public Talk 11th March, 1935

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #158

Huguette . wrote:
If it is the old mind, the old brain, the old consciousness, which is the problem, nothing that it decides or chooses to do can solve the problem, can it?

I don't have any answers but a growing number of people who seem well informed are pointing out that the planet is at a critical stage and soon we may go beyond a point where we can save it. George Monbiot made two very interesting points in my view:

1. He questioned whether continuing to use GDP as a measure of human welfare was sensible.

2. He pointed out the very positive effects re-wilding can have to the planet.

To me, these comments show a high level of consciousness and are intelligent responses to the mess we find ourselves in. Huguette, what is your opiniuon of these two points?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #159

Tom Paine wrote:
The rich and powerful will willingly give up their vast wealth and power? (A rhetorical question). Since the answer is obviously no, the alternative would be the kind of violent revolution that took place under Mao in China.

Hi Tom. I think we all know that the horrors of a violent revolution are an unacceptable price to pay for change. Peaceful campaigning and awareness raising can be very powerful ways to bring about changes in policy of both corporations and governments. Isn't this a sensible thing to do given the gravity of the situation?

This post was last updated by Sean Hen Mon, 03 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #160

Dan McDermott wrote:
I was going to post the question before I just read Huguette's and maybe mine is rhetorical but why is there still an expectation, or hope that 'things' should be any different than they are?

Hi Dan. I don't know about a hope or an expectation but as I'm sure you already know, Krishnamurti wrote a book called "The Urgency of Change". I expect we all agree that change is indeed urgent on many levels.

Dan McDermott wrote:
You feel good about doing your part but remain basically self-centered and greedy and fearful..but do it: vote for the 'good' guys, march, carry signs, make speeches,etc... but don't confuse any of that with the 'flowering' that K. spoke about

Are these two things mutually exclusive? Surely the important thing is to apply intelligence as much as possible, both inwardly and outwardly. If the planet really is going down the drain, I don't personally see anything wrong in peaceful campaigning. Of course, this doesn't mean we stop looking at our house and getting it in order.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #161

Sean Hen wrote:
If the planet really is going down the drain...

Aren't we talking only about humanity here and the other species that our greedy activity is threatening? Seems a bit conceited though that we can take down the planet with us, doesn't it? So if man is the problem here as a result of "taking a wrong turn" as has been suggested, then the radical 'change' has to take place in man, in me, in you. 'They' have little or no chance of change since they don't understand that they/we, are the problem...that it's not separate from them/us.
What is that change? In myself, it is the ending of the 'self-image'. The ending of the 'past'. The ending of psychological thought. The ending of psychological time...Without there coming about this "freedom from the known", all man's efforts, it seems to me, to forestall his own demise and the creatures around him are well-meaning but ultimately, given our state of ignorance about what we are, have to fail. The 'reformation' or revolution has to take place 'within' us (if it takes place at all) and that takes energy. Energy and intelligence. 'Saving' man and 'saving' the planet won't happen any other way as far as I can see. And as has been said, our 'change of direction', in any case, is looking pretty un-likely. There were some nine or so hominid 'experiments' before us and they have all disappeared. If we follow them into extinction, the only difference between them and us will be the long-lasting mess we leave behind...

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Mon, 03 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #162

Sean Hen wrote at 158:
1. He questioned whether continuing to use GDP as a measure of human welfare was sensible.
2. He pointed out the very positive effects re-wilding can have to the planet.

It so happens I do agree with these 2 observations.

As I see it, the rich man’s obsession with the economy is a reflection of his personal greed and desire for enrichment, not a reflection of his concern for the well-being of his fellow man. The rich man's greed is then turned into propaganda aimed at the toiling man claiming that the economic measures taken by the rich are for the well-being of the toiling man. The obsession with “the economy” that is manifested in almost every newscast is both a hysteria and a propaganda, as I see it. It is seen that GDP or the economy is NOT the measure of humanity’s well-being and cannot be the remedy for humanity’s suffering. “The economy” is a concept, an artificial entity measured by graphs, charts, ideas, beliefs and more concepts. The ordinary man toils because life demands it.

It is also seen that rewilding is essential. The miraculous planet can restore itself but we “paved paradise and turned into a parking lot” (Joni Mitchell) and are now facing the inevitable consequences.

The question is, how do we go about fixing the problems? Beyond the observations about GDP and rewilding, what do we actually DO? Aren’t the same psychological processes that are responsible for the chaos - aren’t the very same processes trying to fix it through the known ways? Doesn’t fixing it “the old way” still mean propaganda (so-called “education”), legislation, compulsion, war? Can propaganda, legislation, compulsion, conflict, end the crisis facing humanity? Isn’t the essential thing for each one of us to understand the relationship between the external problems and the inner conflict so that, whatever our station in society, our understanding acts and there is an organic recovery?

Just as the planet can recover or restore itself if it is not continually assaulted, is it possible that humanity can find a natural equilibrium in all its relationships, through self-understanding? I'm not saying it can. I'm questioning.

This post was last updated by Huguette . Mon, 03 Jun 2019.

Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #163

Huguette . wrote:
I disagree, Jack. As I see it, capitalism has not organized greed. Greed has organized capitalism. You don’t see it that way?

You can believe anything you want. It doesn't change anything. What you have written in your post is mostly semantics which seems to be the result of over-thinking. You also drew conclusions that I didn't. Another thing; you put quote marks around the word overthrowing. Who are you quoting? I didn't use that word.

Let me give you some facts. Just 10% of the people in the United States own 70% of the wealth in this country. Just nine people in the world own as much wealth as the bottom 500 million. The CO2 count in the atmosphere recently reached the 415 PPM mark. It hasn't been that high for 3 million years. And back then trees were growing in Antarctica. Once we get to 500 PPM there is no turning around according to climate scientists and other scientists.

When the Industrial Age began the CO2 count was at 280 PPM. Capitalism is the organized exploitation of nearly everything including the natural resources that, ostensibly, belong to all of us. Capitalism is the belief that just a few people can own most of the wealth of the world. That a relatively few people can control most of the wealth while a growing percentage of the rest of us can't afford healthcare or afford to send our kids to college. I could go on and on giving examples of why I think capitalism is not working for all of us and making things worse for the whole world. But it's not my job to educate you. And my cup of tea is getting cold.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #164
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3169 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
Peaceful campaigning and awareness raising can be very powerful ways to bring about changes in policy of both corporations and governments. Isn't this a sensible thing to do given the gravity of the situation?

It seems to be so, but it's not working. Friends of ours...much older, from my parents' generation...spent their whole lives working peacefully for change....they are in their 90's now, if they're still living. Well many, many, people like them spent their lives doing this 'awareness raising' and we wound up with Donald Trump. BTW, they also worked with Ralph Nader, who was fighting the good fight his whole life (ran for president against Bush and Gore, taking much needed votes away from Gore) and wound up almost totally forgotten today.

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #165

Jack Pine wrote:
you put quote marks around the word overthrowing. Who are you quoting? I didn't use that word.

At 0:34 of the video link given by Sean, Monbiot says “we have to overthrow the system”.

Huguette . wrote:
So are you proposing, like Monbiot, that overthrowing capitalism will solve the crisis?

Are you proposing or suggesting anything? Why wouldn't you try to educate me and others? What are you doing here then? Are we not trying to educate ourselves by questioning and talking things over together? "Educate" in the sense of understanding, not in the sense of providing statistics and knowledge?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #166

Huguette . wrote:
Isn’t the essential thing for each one of us to understand the relationship between the external problems and the inner conflict so that, whatever our station in society, our understanding acts and there is an organic recovery?

Good point, Huguette! As long as I'm in conflict, I breed conflict in the world. Capitalism is based upon competition....fragmentation....the boss/owner vs the worker and my corporation vs. the others...my country vs yours, etc. This is a result of our inner fragmentation, beliefs, and violence, isn't it....seeing 'me' separate from 'you', and 'me' separate from 'not me'?

Let it Be

Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #167

Huguette . wrote:
Why wouldn't you try to educate me and others?

If you already think you know then it's pointless. I pointed something out about capitalism and you came up with a word salad that was more or less fact free and just your opinion. I think you would rather argue than actually have a discussion.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #168

Tom Paine wrote:
Good point, Huguette! As long as I'm in conflict, I breed conflict in the world.

I think the key question here is this - While I am still in conflict, can I nevertheless peacefully campaign for measures to be taken which will seemingly bring about very positive outcomes? Or will this campaigning bring about only more conflict?

I have a friend who is in conflict, as we all are, and he certainly drinks too much for his own good. At the weekend, he cooks up a huge pot of soup and goes out at night with a group of friends to feed homeless people sleeping on the street. Now I wouldn't say that my friend's actions here are breeding more conflict. In fact, they probably make a lot of difference to the people he gives his soup to. Well, we surely wouldn't tell my friend to stop making his soup as he is only breeding conflict, would we?

This post was last updated by Sean Hen Mon, 03 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #169

Jack Pine wrote:
If you already think you know then it's pointless. I pointed something out about capitalism and you came up with a word salad that was more or less fact free and just your opinion. I think you would rather argue than actually have a discussion.

Jack,

What is each one of us doing here? What has drawn us to this place? Isn’t it wanting to understand the human sorrow that each one of us feels? What is the point of talking about awareness and attention, about division, consciousness, time and images, about anger if fear, and so on, if in the moment of being challenged, it all goes out the window and we cannot stick with it, we cannot stay with the fact, facing whatever comes up inwardly? What is really going on at THIS MOMENT? Can each one of us understand THAT? Are ideas what matter? If we don’t agree, can’t we go deeper into the cause of the intellectual and emotional division, patiently?

Isn't there a spontaneous affection for anyone who suffers - me, you, all of us?

Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #170

Sean Hen wrote:
While I am still in conflict, can I nevertheless peacefully campaign for measures to be taken which will seemingly bring about very positive outcomes?

Of course, I see no contradiction in that, as long as there is awareness or attention in the doing of it. That's why I asked earlier, "Isn’t the essential thing for each one of us to understand the relationship between the external problems and the inner conflict so that, whatever our station in society, our understanding acts?" Each one of us does what he can, according to his station, abilities and circumstances, don't you think? And if there is awareness, such action is without self-righteousness, false humility, hate, division, and so on.

Elsewhere, Tom had given the example of a long-ago colleague in an institution who gave hugs to a severely disabled young man. I wasn't suggesting that such actions of love should not be taken!

Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #171

Sean Hen wrote:
he cooks up a huge pot of soup and goes out at night with a group of friends to feed homeless people sleeping on the street. Now I wouldn't say that my friend's actions here are breeding more conflict.

Probably not, but as long as he's in conflict himself, he will be breeding conflict in one way or another....not in this specific act of feeding the homeless, but most assuredly in other ways. Perhaps his drinking brings conflict with his spouse, if he has one. Or prevents him from being responsible in his relationships in daily living. Hopefully he doesn't get behind the wheel and drive drunk. Look at the violence he's doing to his body...to his liver. I'm old enough to remember many anti war activists from the Vietnam war era. Many of them were very violent people. But they did help to end that particular war, not denying the good in that. And then we got Bush and another war...and on and on.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Mon, 03 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #172

Sean Hen wrote:
Well, we surely wouldn't tell my friend to stop making his soup as he is only breeding conflict, would we?

No that would be silly. But if your friend was interested in these ideas, it could be discussed whether the motive behind his giving of the soup was because it was self-satisfying. That it wasn't only compassion but also enhanced his feeling of 'worth', self-esteem, by having 'a cause', etc. And if your friend saw that that was the case and that the reason that he thought he was giving out the soup was seen through as false...then he would discover a 'truth' about why he was doing what he was doing. Not that he would then stop what he was doing. That is self knowledge or self understanding, right? But that is only if he was interested in these ideas, of becoming free from the past, the 'known'...But in terms of this quest of self understanding, what you or I do (within limits) isn't important but the awareness of what we do and why we do it is... an awareness without judgement, condemnation, comparison...actually the awareness must be without any choice, mustn't it, or it will only be the 'thinker' with his past, watching thought or the 'observer' with his past, watching the observed?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #173
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 689 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
he cooks up a huge pot of soup and goes out at night with a group of friends to feed homeless people sleeping on the street.

This is a great kindness your friend does. But what does he serve the soup in? Styrofoam bowls that are used once and then end up in a landfill? Does he serve meat soup? If so, what impact does the raising of meat have on the environment? There are so many details in how we impact the planet. It seems endless.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #174

Where there is attention, is there analyzing, evaluating or measuring?

Is there the understanding of thought's limitations? IS thought limited? Or does thought have the ability to choose "right action" by deliberating and evaluating? Is there attention in the efforts of thought to measure or decide what should or should not be done?

Added: I’m asking, doesn’t attention give the understanding that acts rightly in the circumstances of the moment? Surely right action is not rigid or set in stone, but flexible.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 03 Jun 2019 #175

Sean Hen wrote:

he cooks up a huge pot of soup and goes out at night with a group of friends to feed homeless people sleeping on the street. Now I wouldn't say that my friend's actions here are breeding more conflict.

The issue, it seems to me is, am I violent? Am I perpetuating violence...conflict? Is my consciousness in conflict? If violence/conflict is in 'me' then, inevitably, it will affect the world. What your friend does or does not do is really irrelevant to understanding myself and my own conflict

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Tue, 04 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 04 Jun 2019 #176

Tom Paine wrote:
The issue, it seems to me is, am I violent? Am I perpetuating violence...conflict? Is my consciousness in conflict? If violence/conflict is in 'me' then, inevitably, it will affect the world. What your friend does or does not do is really irrelevant to understanding myself and my own conflict

Just to answer a few previous points - my friend who makes soup for the homeless does drink too much but he'd never drive while drunk. He's respectful with the environment so I imagine he serves the soup in re-useable plates and spoons and I'm pretty sure the soup is vegetarian. I should actually go along and help one night and find out properly. Is he in conflict in his life? Yes, I'm sure he is, just like the rest of us.

My point was that even though we are in conflict, we can still do things which bring about very positive outcomes. That doesn't mean that we can just ignore our conflict. Of course we need to address it. However, when you help someone else, I don't think there's a need to analyse it too deeply. It's just the right thing to do on most occasions. And yes, it does usually make you feel good as there's a small moment of communication and shared purpose. I imagine we've all experienced this.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 04 Jun 2019 #177

Sean Hen wrote:
My point was that even though we are in conflict, we can still do things which bring about very positive outcomes. That doesn't mean that we can just ignore our conflict. Of course we need to address it. However, when you help someone else, I don't think there's a need to analyse it too deeply.

Sean, what you have written above is very well expressed. When I pointed out a day or two ago that capitalism has to end now the response I received was some idealistic philosophizing about how we all are greedy. That's true we are all greedy but that's not the point. When your house is on fire you first must put out the fire then you can sit around and discuss how the fire started. Capitalism is the private ownership by the few of what, essentially, belongs to all of us.

Capitalism is about the privatization and accumulation of wealth by the few even when the mindless continued accumulation of that wealth is bringing the earth to the brink of destruction. A destruction the earth hasn't seen for 67 million years when a meteor struck off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula and ended the Mesozoic Era, the age of the dinosaurs.

First we stop using fossil fuels and other dirty energy sources, or at least drastically reduce the use, until other sources of clean energy can replace hydrocarbons. Then we can analyze, philosophize and idealize about our greed if we feel we must.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Tue, 04 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 04 Jun 2019 #178
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 689 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
My point was that even though we are in conflict, we can still do things which bring about very positive outcomes. That doesn't mean that we can just ignore our conflict. Of course we need to address it. However, when you help someone else, I don't think there's a need to analyse it too deeply. It's just the right thing to do on most occasions.

Yes.

Are we in an ongoing state of conflict? Or rather is every moment new?

Continuity is a story we tell ourselves. Moment by moment, the possibility of love is. The possibility of the unknown, of discontinuity. When there is open attention, the situation is its own response.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 04 Jun 2019 #179

Jack Pine wrote at 177:
When your house is on fire you first must put out the fire then you can sit around and discuss how the fire started.

Jack, I don’t disagree that capitalism is destructive. As Tom pointed out, overthrowing capitalism as a way to put out the fire has been tried and failed abjectly. It failed because the root of the problem was not understood, as I see it. Capitalism has not organized greed, greed has organized capitalism. Capitalism is not the cause of the problem. The cause is the disordered psyche. Greed, fear, hate, measure, comparison, etc., are symptomatic of the disorder. And the root of it is self-ignorance, isn't it?

Capitalism is a product of greed. The fire did not start with capitalism. The fire burns because of self-ignorance, doesn't it? So the fire can only be put out by the ending of self, not by overthrowing capitalism, as I see it.

Of course, one can still do what one can do politically, economically, socially, educationally, etc. But whatever one does inevitably fuels the fire if it is done self-righteously, violently, hatefully, with condemnation, with an ideal, as see it.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 04 Jun 2019 #180

Today's quote of the day (Ojai, California | 9th Public Talk 28th June, 1934):

What I am saying can only apply to those who are really in conflict, not to those who want to reform, who want to do patchwork. I have explained what I mean by reform, by patchwork - it is an adjustment to an environment, born out of the lack of understanding.

You and I have to feel the fire burning in ourselves, inwardly, in order to come to right action. The fire is conflict, which is rooted in self-ignorance, isn’t it? As long as we think the fire is only burning “out there” and that "out there" is what needs to be fixed, we cannot act rightly, as I see it.

This post was last updated by Huguette . Tue, 04 Jun 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 151 - 180 of 207 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)