Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

What is the ground on which inner silence may come about?

Displaying posts 31 - 60 of 201 in total
Sat, 23 Mar 2019 #31
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1053 posts in this forum Offline

In fact the conscious mind is crippled . It is worn out and has no freshness. But the unconscious is challenging and sharp. Krishnamurti spoke to this unconscious mind.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 23 Mar 2019 #32
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5492 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:

Is K teaching just about awareness with the violent world continuing inside and out?

Or is it about awareness AND transformation?

Jack Pine wrote: Or maybe neither of the two. Do you see how your questions are both "questions and conclusions". Conclusions which may not be accurate?

Instead you might ask: What does K say about awareness and transformation?

idiot ? wrote:

K teaching without real love isn't K teaching at all. But that is what many of us have settled for.

There is an expression which describes a fallacious argument called "begging the question".

"Begging the question", is certainly no stranger to this forum. There are two examples above. Read the definition below if you are interested.

Description: Any form of argument where the conclusion is assumed in one of the premises. Many people use the phrase “begging the question” incorrectly when they use it to mean, “prompts one to ask the question”. That is NOT the correct usage. Begging the question is a form of circular reasoning.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Sat, 23 Mar 2019.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sat, 23 Mar 2019 #33

One Self wrote:
What a crappy judgment from jack the aggressor. He invites idiot to a fight. And he thinks he understands K more than others!

One self this is a very accurate description of your own post #31 above. I know you don't see it because, frankly, you don't appear to be very intelligent. At least if you are going to criticize someone don't make the same mistake in your critique that you are accusing others of doing. Do you think you might be able to handle that in the future?

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Sat, 23 Mar 2019.

Sat, 23 Mar 2019 #34

One Self wrote:
In fact the conscious mind is crippled .

Well perhaps yours is but you don't speak for all of us. First of all what is the conscious mind and what is the unconscious mind? Is there a conscious and unconscious mind or is there just consciousness?

THERE IS ONLY CONSCIOUSNESS:

There is in fact only one state, not two states such as the conscious and the unconscious; there is only a state of being, which is consciousness, though you may divide it as the conscious and the unconscious. But that consciousness is always of the past, never of the present; you are conscious only of things that are over. You are conscious of what I am trying to convey the second afterwards, are you not? You understand it a moment later. You are never conscious or aware of the now. Watch your own hearts and minds and you will see that consciousness is functioning between the past and the future and that the present is merely a passage of the past to the future. Consciousness is therefore a movement of the past to the future.
If you watch your own mind at work, you will see that the movement to the past and to the future is a process in which the present is not. Either the past is a means of escape from the present, which may be unpleasant, or the future is a hope away from the present. So the mind is occupied with the past or with the future and sloughs off the present... It either condemns and rejects the fact or accepts and identifies itself with the fact. Such a mind is obviously not capable of seeing any fact as a fact. That is our state of consciousness which is conditioned by the past and our thought is the conditioned response to the challenge of a fact; the more you respond according to the conditioning of belief, of the past, the more there is strengthening of the past. That strengthening of the past is obviously the continuity of itself, which it calls the future. So that is the state of our mind, of our consciousness—a pendulum swinging backwards and forwards between the past and the future.
J.Krishnamurti: The Book Of Life, September 27.

OS,don't just make things up. You are coming to conclusions for which there may not be any basis and for which you don't include any supporting evidence. For all we know you may be taking drugs or drinking when you come up with these unsupported conclusions.

Thought is limited so when you and others think about things K has said, or you think he has said, and then you draw your own conclusions based on your own misunderstanding, your own thoughts, then you end up with just a lot of words.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Sun, 24 Mar 2019.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #35
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 1053 posts in this forum Offline

So jack is the one who worships Krishnamurti. He uses k's phrase as absolute truth. What a robot he is.
So next time you get into an accident and become unconscious have the hospital read the above.:-)

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #36

Conscious sorrow and unconscious sorrow
The Book of Life, July 14, HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

Sorrow is ... grief, uncertainty, the feeling of complete loneliness. There is the sorrow of death, the sorrow of not being able to fulfil oneself, the sorrow of not being recognized, the sorrow of loving and not being loved in return. There are innumerable forms of sorrow, and it seems to me that without understanding sorrow, there is no end to conflict, to misery, to the everyday travail of corruption and deterioration...

There is conscious sorrow, and there is also unconscious sorrow, the sorrow that seems to have no basis, no immediate cause. Most of us know conscious sorrow, and we also know how to deal with it. Either we run away from it through religious belief or we rationalize it, or we take some kind of drug, whether intellectual or physical; or we bemuse ourselves with words, with amusements, with superficial entertainment. We do all this, and yet we cannot get away from conscious sorrow.

Then there is the unconscious sorrow that we have inherited through the centuries. Man has always sought to overcome this extraordinary thing called sorrow, grief, misery; but even when we are superficially happy and have everything we want, deep down in the unconscious there are still the roots of sorrow. So when we talk about the ending of sorrow, we mean the ending of all sorrow, both conscious and unconscious. To end sorrow one must have a very clear, very simple mind. Simplicity is not a mere idea. To be simple demands a great deal of intelligence and sensitivity.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #37

There is no point listening to jack the robot. He is long lost and tries to find something in words. And the funny thing is that nobody converse with him because he is a complete psychopath.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #38
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 774 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
Come on! K is talking about something quite beyond passive submission. Love, freedom, transformation, action without idea, the immensity... You know these are all in what K teaches but they remain vague mirages. Why?!!!

What about what K said about seeing bringing about immediate action? I am unaware and inattentive. I become aware of this inattention and there is immediate attention. I am not listening to someone. I become aware of this and I suddenly am present giving my full attention to what is being said.

Is all this just an idea or do we actually experience this in our day-to-day lives? Isn't it a fact that there is either attention on inattention? Yes, a lot of the time we are completely unaware but aren't there moments when we are really fully present? Isn't this our starting point?

Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #39
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 513 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
I am unaware and inattentive. I become aware of this and I suddenly am present giving my full attention to what is being said. Is all this just an idea or do we actually experience this in our day-to-day lives?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That is transformation.

And I, too, am asking is such transformation happening?

Or do I instead say, "Oh, I'm not really listening. Oh, well. To change it would be judgment and desire. I'll just go on aware that I'm not really listening?"

It's really very simple. We can pay attention and change is. Or we can pay attention and there is no change, conflict continues. It has nothing to do with will, desire, judgment. It has everything to do with insight, freedom.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Sun, 24 Mar 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #40

idiot ? wrote:
It's really very simple. We can pay attention and change is. Or we can pay attention and there is no change, conflict continues.

I don't really understand this. How can we pay attention and conflict continues? When we pay attention there seems to be a different dynamic to the one where we pay little or no attention and are lost in our own thoughts.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #41

Sean Hen wrote:
How can we pay attention and conflict continues?

Okay, let's come at this another way.

X has listened to K for years, for decades. Sometimes he realizes he is inattentive and suddenly full attention is. Transformation.

But other times, X is aware and there isn't change. For example, K talks about opinions in the video. X sees that an opinion is just holding on to one idea against another, but he still seems to have opinions. Why? He's aware of having them, but they continue. For another example, X sees that he still criticizes others. He is aware of it. And it continues. Why?

Is it just that he is insufficiently aware? The degree of awareness? Or is it lack of insight? Or something else?

Why after decades of listening to K, paying attention, do some of these conflictual things continue?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #42

idiot ? wrote:
For another example, X sees that he still criticizes others. He is aware of it. And it continues. Why?

Is X aware of criticising others in the moment he is doing this or only after it has happened? If he's aware in the moment he is criticising, surely there will be action.

idiot ? wrote:
Is it just that he is insufficiently aware? The degree of awareness? Or is it lack of insight? Or something else?

In the example of criticism above, it would appear to be insufficient awareness. When there is awareness, surely there can't be criticism of others. Personally, I try to be watchful. If I end up criticising others, I feel bad afterwards. When I'm sufficiently aware, I don't do it.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 #43

As you say, maybe X just needs to be aware that he is criticizing in the moment as he is doing it. Then maybe the criticism drops away and doesn't get voiced.

But maybe X is aware that he is criticizing Y and he feels that Y is really going wrong and needs to be set straight. If X says nothing, won't Y just continue? So X feels justified and criticizes Y, aware of what is happening.

Now perhaps Y will respond to the criticism, "Why yes, you're right. Thank you for setting me straight." But more often people are defensive and Y will likely react negatively to X's criticism. So there is conflict.

Perhaps X needs not only awareness but also insight. Does X see that criticizing Y boosts his own ego, his own separate self? Does X see that criticizing Y is looking down on Y patronizingly? Does X see his disrespect for Y? If X can be aware AND have insight into the situation, then he is better able to handle it appropriately, in a way that is not conflictual. He can drop any disrespect and see clearly his and Y's situation. Then he really can help Y, respectfully, or else see that no help is really necessary.

Now perhaps this insight is just increased awareness, as you say. X is aware of his criticizing as it happens. He simply needs to also be aware of how this is boosting his separate ego. So perhaps insight and further awareness are the same thing?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #44

X does not criticize Y. X is aggressive and rude . How can X criticize Y when they have no friendship at all. Only true friends can criticize or correct each other . Insults and foul mouthing by no mean is constructive criticism. The issue is rudeness. Some people are genetically rude and believe that they have the right to interfere with other people's thinking(just like what religions do). These people are copy cats and have nothing original to share because they don't have a mind of their own. They are image-makers . And they do that to strengthen their own image. Fortunately there are not too many of them out there. And life does give them what they deserve.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #45

idiot ? wrote:
That's exactly what I'm talking about. That is transformation.

idiot ? wrote:
Sean Hen wrote:
How can we pay attention and conflict continues?

Okay, let's come at this another way.

Unless you are seeing your own attention/inattention you are talking about the ideal of these things. Not what is actually occurring you your life.

And is that transformation or is it your ideal of transformation? We have been conditioned to have these endless, theoretical discussions since we were in school but they never really lead anywhere because unless you are discussing what you see as it occurs then it is, once again, theory. K has pointed this out very often. Why do you continue to do it? For entertainment?

Is transformation something you are trying to attain? Is it a goal, an end, an accomplishment? Why not focus on what is happening in your lives now instead of focusing on a future goal? Can transformation be pursued?

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Mon, 25 Mar 2019.

Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #46

One self why do you try so hard to justify your own glaring ignorance? And why do you care what others say to you? Is your ego so fragile?

You are so transparent and your pseudo discussion on criticism is fairly obvious. You're trying to criticize someone by making it look like they are the critics. How stupid do you think people are? Or perhaps more to the point, just how stupid are you?

Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #47

One self. Waited until I got off so you can sneak back on the forum and pursue your particularly lame, not so subtle, attempt to harangue someone while laying the sole blame on them. What about your own insulting and critical replies? Look up the word hypocrite and see if it rings any bells.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #48

Jack Pine wrote:
You are so transparent and your pseudo discussion on criticism is fairly obvious. You're trying to criticize someone by making it look like they are the critics.

Why do you prefers to figure out others that you don't even know what they look like or what they do. Is not image -making anti-k? Focusing on what someone else says doesn't get you anywhere. Try to think independent of others and don't be a mere reactionary. Repeating what someone says and saying the opposite is an indication of immaturity and dullness. Krishnamurti was a friendly person and out of that friendliness he was able to correct others and it worked. But us in here who practically don't care about each other have no right to correct each other. Anyway you can't relate to all this and you will continue doing what you have been doing and isolating yourself even more. Then again who cares what happens to you? No one.

This post was last updated by One Self Mon, 25 Mar 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #49

One Self wrote:
So jack is the one who worships Krishnamurti. He uses k's phrase as absolute truth. What a robot he is.

You write this rather idiotic and completely unsubstantiated grossly opinionated reply above criticizing me for quoting K in post #36 and then in post #37....Guess what? You post a quote from Krishnamurti! Are you really that dense? Well, apparently so.

Jesus H Christ, no wonder no one posts on this forum anymore and Dev has, essentially, abandoned it. I don't blame him.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #50

One Self wrote:
Why do you prefers to figure out others that you don't even know what they look like or what they do.

Why do you do it? That's what you need to understand not why I do it. Don't you see that is exactly what you are doing with me? Are you really too dense to see that?

One Self wrote:
Is not image -making anti-k? This sentence is essentially illiterate. And there is no "anti K" except in your withered brain.

One Self wrote:
Focusing on what someone else says doesn't get you anywhere.

But this is exactly what you are doing with what I say. You can't see that?

One Self wrote:
Try to think independent of others and don't be a mere reactionary.

Thinking can never be independent. It's all based on a common conditioning we all share. Of course, I don't expect you to understand that.

One Self wrote:
Repeating what someone says and saying the opposite is an indication of immaturity and dullness.

What in god's name are you on about? I don't think you know, that's fairly obvious.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #51

Trying to have a rational conversation with you, one self, is just not possible. I feel like I'm trying to play tennis with someone who has a large hole in his racquet. You just can't return the ball but you are out there waving the racquet around all over the place.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #52

idiot ? wrote:
But maybe X is aware that he is criticizing Y and he feels that Y is really going wrong and needs to be set straight. If X says nothing, won't Y just continue? So X feels justified and criticizes Y, aware of what is happening.

It seems that X isn't really clear if his criticising is a bad thing or not. With this lack of clarity nothing will change.

I think we need to distinguish between the kind of patronising criticism which boosts our ego and challenge, which seems to be a different thing altogether. We all find ourselves criticising others in a gossipy way at some point. We know it's wrong. If we become aware of the fact we are doing this in the moment that it occurs, it stops. Have we direct experience of this? Or is it just a theory? Jack, I would be interested to hear what you think here given the point you made earlier about our discussions being too theoretical.

When we challenge someone if they are doing something bad or saying something that isn't true, we risk conflict. Perhaps it depends on how we challenge. For example, if I come across someone dumping rubbish in a wood, I can ignore it or confront the person and risk conflict. I could say the following: "Excuse me, I don't think you should dump your rubbish here. This is a lovely wood and your rubbish is going to spoil this beautiful spot." I have made a challenge, which I think is the right thing to do, but the way I have done it perhaps lessens the risk of conflict.

idiot ? wrote:
Perhaps X needs not only awareness but also insight. Does X see that criticizing Y boosts his own ego, his own separate self? Does X see that criticizing Y is looking down on Y patronizingly? Does X see his disrespect for Y? If X can be aware AND have insight into the situation, then he is better able to handle it appropriately, in a way that is not conflictual. He can drop any disrespect and see clearly his and Y's situation. Then he really can help Y, respectfully, or else see that no help is really necessary.

Yes to all the above. For me, X's "problem" boiled down to a lack of clarity and a confusion between destructive criticism and constructive challenge. Perhaps this is indeed insight.

This post was last updated by Sean Hen Mon, 25 Mar 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #53

Sean Hen wrote:
It seems that X isn't really clear if his criticising is a bad thing or not. With this lack of clarity nothing will change...I think we need to distinguish between the kind of patronising criticism which boosts our ego and challenge, which seems to be a different thing altogether.

Agreed. How will I know if my criticism is patronizing or challenging in a healthy way? Again, only through awareness and insight. Perhaps also through inquiry. I can ask myself, "Am I being respectful? Is my feeling hostile or friendly?" Awareness can go quite deeply into subtlety: "I have the very slightest feeling of tension in this interaction. What is that?" And when it is really seen into, with awareness, insight, inquiry, it may transform.

Anyway, I feel, as someone interested in K for decades, that just being aware in daily life and interaction is not enough. If the same mechanical patterns continue, or if there is the slightest tension or conflict, these are wake up calls that conditioning is present. Then further awareness, insight, inquiry can be shined on them. Then they may transform. This renewal of attention is so important.

If we just get comfortable and accepting, there's no energy of urgency, no radical revolution in each moment. This urgency comes out of caring, seeing the conflictual world, and renewing attention to transform a little corner of it.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Mon, 25 Mar 2019.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Mar 2019 #54

Almost everybody in this discussion group(the regular commentators) have read Krishnamurti for years. Some more and some less. If someone is silly enough to assume that he is writing to someone who has no clue of Krishnamurti then he will start making a fool of himself. That is very obvious. Can one stop making a fool out of himself by assuming that the other doesn't know and he knows in here or in life? We all live in conflict in here and out in the world after even reading k for years, I wonder why? Is there not excitement in conflict? Don't we all seek excitement in life?

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 26 Mar 2019 #55
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1330 posts in this forum Offline

One Self wrote:
I wonder why?

I don't, because of understanding What's written in the quote of today!

Ojai, California | 7th Public Talk 1945

"Existence is painful and complex. To understand the sorrow of our existence we must think-feel anew, we must approach life simply and directly; if we can, we must begin each day anew. 
We must be able each day to re-evaluate the ideals and patterns that we have brought into being. 
Life can be deeply and truly understood only as it exists in each one; you are that life and without comprehending it there can be no enduring joy and tranquillity."

Time, frequency neither goal is of any importance, doing what is pointed to is.

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Tue, 26 Mar 2019.

Tue, 26 Mar 2019 #56

One Self wrote:
I wonder why? Is there not excitement in conflict? Don't we all seek excitement in life?

That is my question.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Mar 2019 #57
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1330 posts in this forum Offline

One Self wrote:

One Self wrote:

I wonder why? Is there not excitement in conflict?
Don't we all seek excitement in life?

That is my question.

I didn't take that away from you, did I?

if one self would experience that living is the excitement itself, there will no need looking for it in conflict.

But don't take my word for it and It's indeed a good question to consider! ;-)

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Wed, 27 Mar 2019.

Wed, 27 Mar 2019 #58

idiot ? wrote:
Anyway, I feel, as someone interested in K for decades, that just being aware in daily life and interaction is not enough. If the same mechanical patterns continue, or if there is the slightest tension or conflict, these are wake up calls that conditioning is present. Then further awareness, insight, inquiry can be shined on them. Then they may transform. This renewal of attention is so important.

Well, I think most of us are in the same boat here and there is no magical solution to keep us highly aware during the day. Attention slips and we are back into those same mechanical patterns you spoke of. Does sitting quietly and just observing help? What about walking, yoga or a good diet? Surely "getting our house in order" is important if we are to be in any way attentive and aware. What do you think?

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Mar 2019 #59

Sean Hen wrote:
Does sitting quietly and just observing help? What about walking, yoga or a good diet? Surely "getting our house in order" is important if we are to be in any way attentive and aware. What do you think?

All those are important. They are all things K did. But very importantly, they can all be done with awareness, FOR THEIR OWN SAKE. If we do them as trying to lay a ground, like the questioner in the video, we do them with seeking, with desire. When they are a means, instead of an end in themselves, they on some level prop up an individual self. Also there can be resistance to doing them, a divided self.

However, as they fall into being natural activities with awareness, there is no residue, no division.

There are plenty of other healthy physical activities, too, like going to the gym, dancing, tai chi, etc. You don't have to select yoga and walking just because K did them. Although walking in nature has its own magnificence.

Putting the house in order can literally mean cleaning up. And so on.

All this comes naturally out of seeing what is and being free, yes? I see junk food or fast food or meat and there is freedom from it. I see a sluggish body that doesn't move and there is freedom from it. I see dirty dishes in the sink and soon they are being washed and there is freedom from it. So it is like the video you provided at the start of this thread. These things can come from freedom or from trying to accomplish something and there is quite a difference, yes?

And sitting quietly with observation! Isn't that seeing the busy mind and self in nearly everything and being free of it? That is a truly extraordinary freedom.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Wed, 27 Mar 2019.

Wed, 27 Mar 2019 #60

Questioner: Are you saying that we must not conform to what other people are doing? It is fun to do what others do; it gives me a sense of companionship. It makes it easier to talk, and also it is fun to get into some trouble. Shouldn't we see what it is like to get into a bit of trouble? Most people do. Won't we learn something from it?

Krishnamurti: Education is to make you sensitive not only to your own particular desires, fancies and troubles but also to those of others. Can you be sensitive-that is, highly intelligent-if you are conforming, if you are copying, however pleasant it may be for the time being, what everybody else does? Will intelligence allow you to get into trouble, and what is there to learn from trouble? You may steal something in a shop or from your friend. If you do you will end up in a police station. Is this the action of sensitivity, intelligence? What do you learn from troubles? Either you learn never to get involved in them or you get excitement, sensation, and you move then from one excitement to another, ever demanding greater sensations. And what do you learn from that?

Do you learn the implications of companionship, that you need to depend on others for your sense of self-esteem, to cover up your insufficiency, your feeling of being wanted in one place but not in another? Do you really learn this or do you merely use the word learning to cover up your demand for excitement? One must have fun, one must be able to laugh and to talk to another, but it must come from inside you. That is youth. To have to go outside yourself to seek fun leads to all kinds of trouble, and that is part of this insanity of the world in which we live. It is like going to a temple, or to a church to find God. You may not go there, but you want your little excitement out there somewhere. They are both the same. If you are really learning, it is here and not out there.

Chapter 71 - Freedom is sane living in daily life

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 31 - 60 of 201 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)