Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

What is Self-Knowledge??

Displaying all 24 posts
Page 1 of 1
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 #1
Thumb_1982_original Grace Full United Kingdom 5 posts in this forum Offline

Hello All,

I am Grace, new to this forum and new to JK. I would like to know many things from you all. So my first question is What is Self Knowledge and how can we attain that and why it is so important?

Which is the first book to read as a beginner?? I havent read any book by JK so far.

Thanks,
Grace.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 #2
Thumb_deleted_user_med David Loucks United States 157 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Grace Full wrote:
I would like to know many things from you all.

Well Grace, or would you prefer Miss Full? I see by your speech y'all must be from Southern England.

I would suggest, since I don't know you or your education background, that you try any book by Krishnamurti. And if that one doesn't suit you try another. For example, people with more of a science background might find the talks between Dr David Bohm (a theoretical physicist) and Krishnamurti interesting. The books range over a 50 or 60 year period so there are a lot to choose from.

As for "self knowledge" what do you think it means? And how would you go about finding out about yourself? You must know something about yourself already. I hope you aren't just pulling our legs and will find this site useful. In my opinion you definately picked the right website to begin your exploration into Krishnamurti's discoveries about life. Not that you need a website to explore Krishnamurti. I wish you well.

This post was last updated by David Loucks (account deleted) Thu, 08 Apr 2010.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 #3
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Grace Full wrote:
Which is the first book to read as a beginner?? I havent read any book by JK so far.

Thanks, Grace.

Hi Grace,welcome to the forums.The Awakening of Intelligence,is a place to start,for reading of books.If you go on to U Tube site on you PC,put in the name Krishnamurti,you will find many talks,both video,and just audio versions.There are many available right here as well.As for self knowledge,the teachings are suggested,as they speak directly to your questions,and come from a mind unconditioned!

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 #4
Thumb_stringio nick carter United States 777 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Grace, since you haven't read any Krishnamurti, I would recommend that you avoid forums like this until you've familiarized yourself with what he said. A lot of people here consider themselves experts on Krishnamurti and if you expose yourself to their thoughts and ideas about K at this stage, your study of K will be influenced by them. In fact, you'd do well to stay away altogether from forums like this. Nobody here, including me, can help you in any way to understand what K was talking about, and what's more, we'll infect you with our misunderstanding. Your understanding of K's teaching involves no one but you. No one can help you in this matter.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 #5
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Hello Grace,

One book that I find very useful is Commentaries on Living (actually a series but the first is a good starter). They are very approachable for a new reader.

Self-knowing is a life-time work. Life is a movement and we are part of it. Everything changes. It is about attention and self-observation with a quiet mind. Who knows what you might find, Grace. The quest is to find what is real. It is about becoming conscious.

Good luck.

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

This post was last updated by Paul Davidson (account deleted) Thu, 08 Apr 2010.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #6
Thumb_tampura ganesan balachandran India 2204 posts in this forum Offline

Grace Full wrote:
Which is the first book to read as a beginner??

I whole heartedly suggest small books,Inward flowering, Krishnamurty on education and any small book whose title match your inner question.
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #7

Grace Full wrote:
What is Self Knowledge and how can we attain that and why it is so important?

If this question bothers you much, then i think there is a book 'you are the world', may be helpful..In a way knowing that is self knowledge!
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #8
Thumb_man_question_mark dhirendra singh India 2984 posts in this forum Offline

Grace Full wrote:
So my first question is What is Self Knowledge and how can we attain that and why it is so important?

Grace Full wrote:

Why you want to read K? For self knowledge? K can't give
it? To get help to attain self knowledge? Again K can't help in this matter. You have already some theory, now by reading him you will replace it with another one.

Whatever K discovered, he discovered from self enquery, He don't get help from books.

Your first question can't be replied by other, as it indicates, it is related to self, how other can know about your self?

Yes If you are interested in some intellectual entertainment, then you are welcome on K forum, and you may start from the book, first available to you

I don't know

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #9
Thumb_1982_original Grace Full United Kingdom 5 posts in this forum Offline

Hey Singh,GB, Paul,Nick,Rick, David thanks for the support.

Whatever K discovered, he discovered from self enquery, He don't get help from books.

I did not get the meaning properly...Is he still alive??

>Your first question can't be replied by other, as it indicates, it is related to self, how other can know about your self?

Yes If you are interested in some intellectual entertainment, then you are welcome on K forum, and you may start from the book, first available to
>Whatever K discovered, he discovered from self enquery, He don't get help from books

If so why can't every one is succeed on their own way and why these forums? Is just an intellectual entertainment? whats the main intention of K by delivering all those discussions. As you suggested I found so many videos on Youtube rick, but dont know which one to go first?
Stop playing with me guys! Give a straight answer for my question

What is the significance of Self Knowledge. I'm not pulling any ones legs nick, but very serious about my buzzing question.

Self-knowing is a life-time work. Life is a movement and we are part of it. Everything changes. It is about attention and self-observation with a quiet mind.

Hey Paul as you said attention, selfobservation and quitemind

which initiates which, self observation leads to quite mind/attention leads to quite mind or vice versa. I see many busy people including me not even know all this stuff like...why i'm busy and what i need to acquire, and why my mind is so occupied with busy thoughts etc..
Thats the reason i'm asking,,as one of my friend suggested K, can you people guide me properly, by not confusing me more..

btw I like your kitty Nick

Grace.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #10

Grace Full wrote:
If so why can't every one is succeed on their own way

Do you know anyone who tried by his own way and failed, On the contrary we always looks for guideline, It is failure in first step.

Grace Full wrote:
why these forums

I don't created it, so s'd be asked from creater.

Grace Full wrote:
Is he still alive??

No, a grammer mistake, please read it 'didn't'.

Grace Full wrote:

whats the main intention of K by delivering all those discussions.

Ok, if you want to know why he delievered all discussion, then read him completely, he claryfied at many time about it.

Grace Full wrote:
Is just an intellectual entertainment

Do you think it is a Diploma programm on self realisation, results of discusion shows what does actualy it is?

Grace Full wrote:
Give a straight answer for my question

According to me it is straight answer,but you are going to decide what is straight answer according to you.
Thanks for reading my all stupidity.

I don't know

This post was last updated by dhirendra singh Fri, 09 Apr 2010.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #11

Probably You have read a fun sms on mobile, in which sender continuously says please don't read this, I have written nothing in it, but we read it completely, and he repeats this line till end.

Same thing is with K's saying, He from starts speaks that he is not authority, don't follow him, don't accept him, but we are following, we refer his saying as authority.

I don't know

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #12
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Grace Full wrote:
Hey Paul as you said attention, selfobservation and quitemind

which initiates which

It seems that mosr people don't want to know much about what goes on inside themselves, or they don't know how or are afraid of what they may find - a Pandora's box of mischief.

So, self-enquiry has to begin with the desire to know and this desire has to be stronger than the fear of what one may find. But why would one want to desire to look? As they say, 'if it ain't broken, it ain't buscuit.' (I may have got that one wrong).

It is a good question to begin with and reflect deeply upon. 'Why do I want to know.' The answer to that is very personal and probably you may come up with some provisional ideas but maybe you have already some clarity of intent, which is very important. The 'goal' of enquiry is its own enquiry (sounds a tautology). But ther may be other goals, such as 'enlightenment', 'getting on better with the neighbours' or just 'to be less conflictive with myself and less angry with others.'

We are mysterious creatures Grace. But I think we would do well to know ourselves better.

K's goal was to set man 'totally and unconditionally free.' He never achieved that in his life time (which ended, aged 90, in 1986) but his message still resonates. If you 'sound' the word 'freedom', inwardly, you can listen to the meanings you attribute to it and try to discern what is relevant and what is spurious.

In the end, self-enquiry is the effort to bring the whole of one's inner life into consciousness and free oneself from the bondage of confusion. K Said, 'change yourself and you change the world.'

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #13
Thumb_deleted_user_med David Loucks United States 157 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Grace, I can imagine how confusing all these replies must be. Read the books or better still find some video of Krishnmurti talking. No one on this site is really able to tell you what K is about. Although there are some very serious people here who have posted some very interesting and insightful things.

Also, Grace, there is no such thing as a beginner or an experienced person when it comes to understanding K. There is no path to take, there is no progression from beginning to end to understand yourself or K. It's really not about consciousness. Consciousness is just a small part of the whole. Don't let anyone try to tell you what it is about. You may be sure of one thing; anybody who says they understand what K was trying to point out doesn't. K mainly talked about what "it" was not about. Because he had no way of describing the unknown. You figure it out. You may pick up a K book and see more about what he is saying than someone who has been reading K for forty years and/or saw K speak in person.

And Grace, when I said this was a good site I mainly meant that you can find a lot of info on K here. When the bookstore here is up and running again they have a really good selection of material; books, DVD's and CD's. There are also some interesting articles here. As far as the forum is concerned technologically, the quality of the website itself, is the best available that I have seen. Contentwise, it is as good as the people who post on it. I'll let you make up your own mind about that too.

This post was last updated by David Loucks (account deleted) Fri, 09 Apr 2010.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 #14
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Grace Full wrote:
What is the significance of Self Knowledge.

Hi Grace,that it a question,only you can answer for yourself!

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sat, 10 Apr 2010 #15

Grace Full wrote:
Hey Singh,GB, Paul,Nick,Rick, David thanks for the support.

well, i mainly wanted to suggest, whenever you take a chapter or a small book read at a stretch and complete as if all the time is now...
all the best
gb

This post was last updated by ganesan balachandran Wed, 14 Apr 2010.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 10 Apr 2010 #16
Thumb_deleted_user_med Randal Shacklett United States 1128 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Grace Full wrote:
What is Self Knowledge

You might investigate whether there is a difference between self-knowledge, which is information gathering, and self-understanding, which is not.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Sat, 10 Apr 2010 #17
Thumb_stringio nick carter United States 777 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Randal, you're back. Why? I thought you were beyond all this nonsense,
that you'd moved on, gotten past all this crap. But here you are...and after your dramatic farewell. Jeez, what a disappointment.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 #18

Grace Full wrote:
btw I like your kitty Nick

That's no "kitty", Grace. That's a skeptical, experienced cat, and he's warning you that you're making a mistake if you spend any more time in this looney bin we euphemistically refer to as a "discussion forum". Nothing so civilized as a discussion ever takes place here, and no one here is capable of anything remotely resembling what in polite society is called "conversation". If you're really interested in Krishnamurti, read the books, listen to the tapes, watch the DVDs, but don't think for a minute that what takes place in this or any other Krishnamurti discussion forum can do anything but distract you from what K was talking about.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 #19
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1930 posts in this forum Offline

nick carter wrote:
don't think for a minute that what takes place in this or any other Krishnamurti discussion forum can do anything but distract you from what K was talking about.

Yet believing all that you remain........

nick carter wrote:
Randal, you're back. Why? I thought you were beyond all this nonsense, that you'd moved on, gotten past all this crap. But here you are...and after your dramatic farewell. Jeez, what a disappointment.

And that also. Do you have some hopeful concept of what 'should be'?

Hi Randal - welcome back. To be honest - I didn't believe it would be too long before your return.

This post was last updated by Patricia Hemingway Sun, 11 Apr 2010.

Sun, 11 Apr 2010 #20

Patricia Hemingway wrote:
To be honest - I didn't believe it would be too long before your return.

Oh! still same, on this side of river, imagination still working, a complete failure..

I don't know

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 #21
Thumb_deleted_user_med Randal Shacklett United States 1128 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

nick carter wrote:
and after your dramatic farewell. Jeez, what a disappointment.

hey man, get off of my cloud! When one get's beyond all this crap, one can easily come back and forth without addiction issues invloved in the typical pleasure seeking here. Look deeply into the nature of disappontment and report back in a few years, will ya? And anyway, they said be nice to Nick or were gonna ban you Randal. I said shove it up your @$$! But I guess they decided not to close my account, in their infinate wisdom apparently.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 #22

I didn't believe it would be too long before your return.

I thought my indiscretions had caused a flare-up in the K world and they finally sent me the "or else" warning. But my account is still open and here I am, for the moment anyway. maybe next time I won't get a warning and will just be a memory. ;o) how's Eve?

Mon, 12 Apr 2010 #23
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1930 posts in this forum Offline

Hello Randal - I have not heard from Eve for a long time.

Your input on here is always valued - if not always agreed with. ;)

Randal Shacklett wrote:
one can easily come back and forth without addiction issues invloved in the typical pleasure seeking here.

Yes, one just drops in for a friendly and informative chat really! Meet old friends and sparring-partners, and have a cup of tea - lovely. :D

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 #24

and have a cup of tea - lovely. :D

Make mine coffee, sugar and cream! I hope all is well with our friend.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 24 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)