Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

K's instruction to sit quietly

Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 #1
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 296 posts in this forum Offline

In Mary Z's book, she talks about instruction K gave her for when she was about to represent him in some capacity.

Mary Zimbalist wrote:

I must train the body to be still. Sit for one half-hour without moving, for a feeling of quiet.

This is very simple instruction to sit quietly for a time, isn't it?

As I have stated in other posts, I feel that K was so strong about insisting that meditation be free of any method, free of even the choice to do it, that K interested people may be discouraged from sitting quietly. How tragic!

So here, it is amazing, isn't it?, that he tells Mary Z. to just do it.

I'd love to hear what you have say about this. Is he giving her a method? Is he having her choose to do something that must be choiceless? Or anything else you want to say about it.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 #2
Thumb_me_3_reduced_copy Patricia Hemingway Australia 1867 posts in this forum Offline

Surely he is simply sharing with her a technical fact.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 #3

Like how to build a bridge or change the oil in a car?

Honestly, I don't see how the instruction to sit quietly is a technical fact. Could you please explain?

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 #4
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3098 posts in this forum Offline

idiot?: don't see how the instruction to sit quietly is a technical fact.

I think I’d agree. Sitting quietly, if I am in fact doing so, is a technical fact. To instruct someone to do so is to give a path/method, goal, or ideal. Does that make sense?

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Sat, 30 Jun 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 #5
Thumb_screenshot_2014-08-09-12-40-46 Goodman B United States 206 posts in this forum Offline

Thinking that starts with an assumption is no thinking. We don't even know the exact words that krishnamurti told her!

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 30 Jun 2018 #6
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1135 posts in this forum Offline

Well it's about the body. He was not telling to keep the mind still.

I am however glad to read this. I've been doing this since I was 19. Yes it quietens the mind.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 01 Jul 2018 #7
Thumb_me_3_reduced_copy Patricia Hemingway Australia 1867 posts in this forum Offline

The technical fact is that if one is to be in the clear mind-space in which to speak/act from stillness, the preparation is stillness.

K simply shared a technical fact. No 'instruction' involved.

This post was last updated by Patricia Hemingway Sun, 01 Jul 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 01 Jul 2018 #8

Tom Paine wrote:
Sitting quietly, if I am in fact doing so, is a technical fact. To instruct someone to do so is to give a path/method, goal, or ideal.

Tom Paine, since K told Mary Z to sit quietly for a period of time, was he giving her a method or ideal?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 01 Jul 2018 #9

Goodman B wrote:
We don't even know the exact words that krishnamurti told her!

True. We know what Mary Z. wrote. I have quoted her accurately. If someone has her book and wants to use the search feature with my quote to find the larger context, they could post it here. That would be helpful. I no longer have her book.

As I recall her statement was very brief. But I was struck that K seemed to simply and directly tell her to sit quietly.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 01 Jul 2018 #10

Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe wrote:
Well it's about the body. He was not telling to keep the mind still.

We don't know for sure. But it seems likely. K has expressed many times that a mind forced into stillness is not natural, alert, open.

In Think On These Things, he suggests playfully following thoughts, as though they were floating leaves in a brook.

What happens when one sits in silence, without exerting any control whatsoever? That is for each person to discover. Let's just say that there is change, some of which you may not even realize is happening. I don't want to specify what may or may not be true for someone. I just want to encourage people to sit quietly and discover. Maybe they encounter a busy mind at first. Maybe, after a while, they encounter a quieter one. Maybe something else.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Sun, 01 Jul 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 01 Jul 2018 #11
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3098 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
Tom Paine, since K told Mary Z to sit quietly for a period of time, was he giving her a method or ideal?

I think it was implicit that 'you should' sit quietly. As if he knows what's best for her. Or perhaps what was implied was, why not sit quietly for an hour and see what happens...creating expectation? Nothing wrong with sitting quietly of course. No right OR wrong when it comes to understanding. Freedom is the first and last step I think K said.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Sun, 01 Jul 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)