Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

K's superstitions

Displaying posts 121 - 134 of 134 in total
Sun, 08 Jul 2018 #121
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 640 posts in this forum Offline

Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe wrote:
I joined the whacky club!!

Hello Jayaraj. I found your "whacky" observations interesting. You are certainly a brave man to have talked about this. Of course, "whackiness" is relative. In many societies stories of possible contact with the supernatural would be seen as quite normal. Perhaps people who spend their lives close to nature are more propense to encounters with "other worlds" or maybe it is all superstition. Who knows?

It seems that in occidental societies, where many of us lived divorced from nature and live almost entirely in the intellect, any talk of other worlds beyond our own is seen as too "whacky" to be acceptable. Perhaps Krishnamurti should have realised this and avoided the subject completely.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 08 Jul 2018 #122
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1135 posts in this forum Offline

Yes Sean. You are right. I also don't think this type of thing can be discussed openly.

K however talked these things with close friends. But since he was a known teacher it got on to books.

I believe K said in ' One Thousand Moons' that there are various occult societies that look after different people. So if that is correct this factor may be there for some people although they are unaware of it.

K said he talks to the tiger consciousness. Surely -if that is true- tigers are unaware of that. So a spiritual being -if that exist & they can talk to us-may talk to the subconscious mind of some of us.
But we may not be knowing that.You see like sudden a intimation.

Even this thing 'we give intelligence also depending on the person's ability & what the person can achiev' may be possible if the consciousness goes in a stream if there are beings who are mainly of energy. Say they encompass a consciousness before it manifests energizing it? Intelligence is of energy & such energizing may make him able to see things better.

Well lot of suppositions.

However I agree fully with you. This is something that cannot be proved.Best is to avoid the subject.(I wouldn't have opened my mouth but K was getting knocked about over something that may be true but cannot be proved)

Thank you very much.(I have not awakened love & compassion or seen this sacred - which I believe is truth-K talked about although I talked about spiritual beings. I think each has to work for self knowledge)(There are some groups who take meditation instructions from seances!)

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 08 Jul 2018 #123
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1135 posts in this forum Offline

Thanks again Sean. I really appreciate your post.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 #124
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 296 posts in this forum Offline

There seem to be some people for whom K was a kind of avatar and his every word is truth. They would say, yes, question what he says. After all, he said to question for yourself. But it will stand up to the questioning because it is truth.

Secretly they seem to have faith in K, rather than a healthy and investigative doubt. When something comes along, like the apparent superstitions of drawing protection circles or seeing fairies, they would sooner question their own common sense than K.

I am not in that camp. I say question and then re-question what you stopped questioning. K's teachings have had a profound impact on my life. All the more reason to look again and see "the true in the true, the false in the false, the false in the true and the true in the false."

To accept everything K said just because he said it is to completely go against his teaching on spiritual teachers. It is taking him as a guru.

To question K, question others, question yourself, isn't this true freedom? But this requires a certain confidence, a freedom from fear.

"Truth sets you free."

This post was last updated by idiot ? Fri, 13 Jul 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 #125
Thumb_screenshot_2014-08-09-12-40-46 Goodman B United States 206 posts in this forum Offline

I read over 50 comments in this blog . Our problem is over the word "superstition". Here I got from the dictionary:
superstition (?su?p??st???n)
n
1. (Alternative Belief Systems) irrational belief usually founded on ignorance or fear and characterized by obsessive reverence for omens, charms, etc
2. (Alternative Belief Systems) a notion, act or ritual that derives from such belief
3. (Alternative Belief Systems) any irrational belief, esp with regard to the unknown
[C15: from Latin superstiti? dread of the supernatural, from superst?re to stand still by something (as in amazement)]

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 #126
Thumb_screenshot_2014-08-09-12-40-46 Goodman B United States 206 posts in this forum Offline

If one likes to know who k was I suggest listening from the horses mouth, Krishnamurti himself. In the commentaries on living he tells you all about it.
I don't see any conflict between what krishnamurti said and what he did in his life.
And once I heard k in his talk said : " Don't listen to anybody saying anything about anybody else."
So I don't believe in anything that anybody says about K.

This post was last updated by Goodman B Fri, 13 Jul 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 #127

idiot ? wrote:
To question K, question others, question yourself, isn't this true freedom? But this requires a certain confidence, a freedom from fear.

There is an implication here that idiot? does the things he lists above while others do not. If one feels that one does certain things that others should do it is probably a good idea to question this feeling.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 #128

idiot ? wrote:
To accept everything K said just because he said it is to completely go against his teaching on spiritual teachers. It is taking him as a guru.

My dear sir, what is accepting? It is to say something is right without actually seeing it , right?

Now when you say drawing circles for protection or seeing fairies is superstition, have you seeing factually whether such exists in a heightened state of mind?

So when you say these are superstitions have you not stated something without seeing facts? So it is still accepting isn't it? Accepting your personal hunch, your conditioning of the given?

So it is like what communists did right? Some believers said God is there & communists said God is not there. Neither knew facts about it.

So to say we don't know about is to be open to inquiry, not the inverse of belief by saying I don't accept it.

I guess I commented enough on this particular topic.

Sign in to recommend
1 day ago #129

One other thing that k would do when he went into a new room was touch the walls all around him. Is that out of fear ? Of course not . So as walking around a building and drawing a line. There are such a thing as negative energy. Oh by the way it is too late to question k because he has passed away . He had no slogan to be questioned any how.

Sign in to recommend
18 hours ago #130

idiot ? wrote:
There seem to be some people for whom K was a kind of avatar and his every word is truth.

idiot ? wrote:
I am not in that camp.

idiot ? wrote:

When I read the statements above, I get the feeling of separation. I get the idea that the writer is saying "There are two camps. Some people do this, some do that. My camp is the fearless one".

I may be wrong, but aren't we really all in the same confused camp? Isn't it ego that is constantly separating everything into camps of right and wrong? This is not said in the spirit of trying to prove anybody wrong, but is actually a straight question. Sometimes interchanges like these can go to interesting places if we can possibly leave right and wrong out of it.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
15 hours ago #131
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5049 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
One other thing that k would do when he went into a new room was touch the walls all around him. Is that out of fear ?

Really? Have you seen K do that? Don't get sucked in by the likes of Idiot who is on this site to troll it.

I've personally seen K walk into rooms varying from the auditorium at the local high school, Nordoff, to his own living room and many other rooms and I can assure you he never once walked around touching the walls. Don't be so gullible.

Sign in to recommend
15 hours ago #132
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5049 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
When I read the statements above, I get the feeling of separation. I get the idea that the writer is saying "There are two camps. Some people do this, some do that. My camp is the fearless one".

Sean, your above post, from which I have copied just a part, is brilliant and at the same time it offers to bring people together rather than dividing. Well done.

Sign in to recommend
6 hours ago #133

Jack Pine wrote:
I can assure you he never once walked around touching the walls. Don't be so gullible.

Sign in to recommend
6 hours ago #134

You can't assure anybody, try to help yourself . You are lost .

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 121 - 134 of 134 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)