Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

K's superstitions

Displaying posts 31 - 60 of 180 in total
Tue, 26 Jun 2018 #31
Thumb_stringio Huguette . Canada 465 posts in this forum Offline

Reading today’s quote, I am struck once again by the necessity of actually living with death, facing the inevitability and finality of it, of leaving all that I know. When I am at death’s door, can I still be concerned with the shortcomings of others? Of course, I don’t know the answer but I venture to say that, no, that will not be my concern. I can see that I might in the ultimate moment of life regret having squandered my life in vain pursuits. But of course, I don’t know that either.

Quote of the Day (2018 06 26) - Bombay, India | Sixth Public Talk, March 7, 1962:

A mind that would understand time and continuity must be indifferent to time and not seek to fill that space which you call time with amusement, with worship, with noise, with reading, with going to the film, by every means that you are doing now. And by filling it with thought, with action, with amusement, with excitement, with drink, with woman, with man, with God, with your knowledge, you have given it continuity - and so you will never know what it is to die.

You see, death is destruction, it is final; you can't argue with it, you can't say, 'Nay, wait a few days more.' You can't discuss, you can't plead; it is final, it is absolute. We never face anything final, absolute; we always go around it, and that is why we dread death. We can invent ideas, hopes, fears and have beliefs, like ''We are going to be resurrected, be born again'' - those are all the cunning ways of the mind, hoping for a continuity, which is of time, which is not a fact, which is merely of thought. You know, when I talk about death, I am not talking about your death or my death - I am talking about death, that extraordinary phenomenon.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #32
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5119 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:
Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe wrote:
I feel this is falling very low. Shame.

Jayaraj,

You probably spoke in the heat of the moment

No I think he spoke the truth. Idiot is filling his mind with all this supposed knowledge of K and forming an image of K that he, apparently, wants the rest of us to share with him. The more he, Idiot, adds to his image of K and his image of himself as the "expert" on K and the one who knows the farther he is from understanding what K pointed out. Idiot's rampage on this forum with useless information is doing nothing to further the understanding of what K pointed out. There are always weak minded people who will follow someone like this because they too would rather gossip than see for themselves what K was talking about. The latter is very much more difficult than the former.

This whole gossipy discussion is low and unworthy of the purpose of this site and forum.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #33
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3122 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
But it could also be understood to mean that even a so called enlightened person may sometimes go astray. When they do, we can question, and not immediately jump to their defense.

But if we haven't put them on a pedestal in the first place, we'd have no problem with them going 'astray'. What does it mean anyway to go 'astray'? Does it mean to act in some way that doesn't conform to our ideal, or to some yardstick by which we measure 'enlightened' behavior? So what if K was superstitious. How does that impact me and my life? It's my own conflict that is making my life miserable, not the fact that K did some ritual to clear 'negative energy' when he entered a strange hotel room for the first time. If he helps me to free myself from conflict, what do I care that he had some peculiar beliefs?

Let it Be

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #34
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1191 posts in this forum Offline

It is not a question of conforming. I feel this criticism or observations are without investigating our consciousness enough.

For example this statement K was superstitious is invalid to me. We can only see a limited range of light. So how do we know what lies on other ranges? Are some born with a very slightly different visibility range?

I was once with a group who did tumbler talking. What took place was simply incredible to say the least. Some higher intelligent being without a tangible body seen to us clearly communicated.Pieces on the board simply went flying. There were several others there. Personally too I have some experiences.

No this shaking someone is explaining as fear. K shook for the slightest sound also. After watching Entebbe K had been shaking so much that he couldn't get up for 5 mts Mary wrote somewhere. So is that fear? I have not awakened love & compassion or touched that sacred K talked about. But studying K I have lost fear. I don't have ecstasy or bliss but I have peace most of the time.That happened studying K.I have found everything K said to be valid.

So these observations are without investigating the consciousness enough.As I said I am not enlightened but I have seen somethings which can get me labelled as superstitious if I try to discuss those things.

See this is just escape. It is easy to find fault than do the hard work of discovery.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #35

It is easy to find fault than do the hard work of discovery.

That's what I'm saying, Jayaraj. It is so for you, for me, for Jack, for idiot, for all who post here.

A story told by K comes to mind of the devil watching a man finding a piece of the Truth on the ground and putting it in his pocket. A piece of the Truth is not the Truth.

Who among us has seen the whole Truth? Whoever sees only the part obviously does not see the whole. So with our partial understanding, we are perhaps partly in the light, and certainly also in the dark. To organize partial understanding - meaning to dictate authoritatively what is true and what is false - is to seek control. To organize partial understanding is divisive. To organize partial understanding is to seek conformity and sow dissension, as I see it. Authority does not lead to understanding.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #36

Tom Paine wrote:
So what if K was superstitious.

There is nothing about this information of K's strange behaviour that changes the facts K points to. The facts are immovable. They are earthquake proof. They cannot be tampered with.

Nonetheless, isn't superstition muddied disordered thinking, irrational thought? It is not necessary to deny, rationalize or excuse it, just as it is not necessary to dwell on it. Why not simply acknowledge that it is incongruous in light of K's clear, rational, sane thinking. It contradicts what he himself said about superstition, for example:

True education is to learn how to think, not what to think. If you know how to think, if you really have that capacity, then you are a free human being—free of dogmas, superstitions, ceremonies—and therefore you can find out what religion is.

—Think on These Things

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #37
Thumb_k2 Ken D United States 72 posts in this forum Offline

I guess Krishnamurti replaced other people's superstitions with his own. Apparently, we prefer our own superstitions to somebody else's. They seem more legitimate because they're a part of our own take on things.

"The 'I' is not contaminated by society; it is the contamination." Krishnamurti

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #38
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1191 posts in this forum Offline

Sure Huguette, authority doesn't lead to understanding.

But that's not the point. K's teaching is tremendously sacrosanct. We just have to seize the opportunity & make use of it. Not just mull over somethings we consider as inconsistencies & waste our time. There can be enough I think. I think it's not that K was a hypocrite but all that is possible living the teachings. Our conditioning makes it dubious for us.

Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #39
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 350 posts in this forum Offline

Ken D wrote:
Apparently, we prefer our own superstitions to somebody else's. They seem more legitimate because they're a part of our own take on things.

K was so crystal clear discussing nonsense others believe in: rituals, the coercive effects of organized religion, gurus, a God that is really just a projection of your own thoughts, nationalism, etc... He didn't hesitate to dismiss so many things that some take so seriously.

Yet how should we take his being sure to come home before dark, his drawing circles around where he was staying, and so on? Did he clearly see the superstitions of others but not his own? Because most people in the world can see problems with other religions. But not their own!

There are a number of other things in Mary Z's book. I only mentioned a few. Does anyone want to discuss any other things K did and said? I only jotted down some that struck me as I was reading.

Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #40

K's teaching is tremendously sacrosanct.

To me, one of the very most important K teachings is "investigate for yourself." This means not to take what he said as sacrosanct but to question it and really go into it.

Now clearly many here have done just that and discovered, "Why, yes! It is exactly so, just as K says." But that doesn't mean they should turn around and deny the questioning of the next person. Quite the opposite. If something is really true, it will stand true.

Now we're looking at some interesting things in Mary Z's book. I realize that some of them may disturb people but that won't make them not be in her book. K asked her to carefully and honestly report what happened in diary form so there would be a record. She very likely honestly wrote down what happened. I'm sorry if that is inconvenient or disturbing. But it is what it is.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #41
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1167 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:

Tom Paine wrote:

There is nothing about this information of K's strange behaviour that changes the facts K points to. The facts are immovable. They are earthquake proof. They cannot be tampered with.

Nonetheless, isn't superstition muddied disordered thinking, irrational thought? It is not necessary to deny, rationalize or excuse it, just as it is not necessary to dwell on it. Why not simply acknowledge that it is incongruous in light of K's clear, rational, sane thinking. It contradicts what he himself said about superstition, for example:

True education is to learn how to think, not what to think. If you know how to think, if you really have that capacity, then you are a free human being—free of dogmas, superstitions, ceremonies—and therefore you can find out what religion is.

—Think on These Things

So why name it superstitious at all ?

It's not that we don't understand it is superstious !

I don't understand why in some circumstances my laying on of hands on someone with pain ease their pain, but it does. It helped my mother for days, she had rheumatism, it worked with my kids when they had headache and on other people too.
And it's very clear to me it stops the moment I think "I do something" to them.
By the way it doesn't work on myself !

I cannot explain it , I don't understand it and I always offer it as a gift.

You can explain it away, don't belief it or take me not serious,
but it doesn't take away the fact that it works and is what it is.

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #42

That's the point. I don't have it. You have it. We can't just dismiss some of these things as superstition. Very rarely some people have a healing touch.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #43

We can't just dismiss some of these things as superstition.

Why should we accept them as being true?

Fortunately there is something called science. With experiment, we can try to verify.

The human body, as you know, is very complex. All kinds of things are at work in it. If you catch a cold, you will generally heal up in about a week. This tends to happen whether or not someone waves their hands around. So often, healing just naturally occurs.

In addition, the placebo effect is quite powerful. When people think something is happening to make them better, often they get better.

On the other hand, there have been studies where people knew they were being prayed for. They got worse! That doesn't stop people who believe in prayer from continuing to do it.

The scientist neither accepts something as true because it appears to be, nor dismisses it. The scientist carefully tests. And that's why, when you flip the switch, the lamp turns on. Waving your hands around is purely optional.

You have brought up the question of spiritual healing. As you know, K did such healing in private. He did so quietly. He evidently didn't want hordes coming to him for healing. Was this superstition on K's part or was he doing something real that we just don't understand? I don't know.

As I recall, he also personally received some scientifically questionable treatments for some health issue. Something with magnets or electricity? I can't remember. It's in one of the biographies. As I recall, it was not effective.

Then there is the question of telepathy.

Mary Zimbalist wrote:

She [Mary Links] had questions on his occult powers not dealt with in the biography. Krishnaji described it as a faculty he could have but doesn’t choose to use. “Like reading other people’s private letters.”

To me, it is worth questioning if these things are real or not, and if they say anything about Krishnamurti. Perhaps you must decide for yourself how skeptical you are. If K teaching has had a powerful impact on your life, does that make you more inclined to accept some of these oddities that might seem silly or superstitious in someone else? In other words, if you are deeply invested in K, does that affect how you feel about some of these matters?

This post was last updated by idiot ? Wed, 27 Jun 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #44

K's teaching is tremendously sacrosanct.

Didn’t K himself challenge everything that is taken to be sacrosanct? Didn't K himself encourage us to question, doubt and challenge everything?

In fact, idiot was not being aggressive or disrespectful. She or he questioned some apparent contradictions, incongruencies, puzzling behaviours. Both you Jayaraj, and she/he idiot, are making it about K. That to me is a mistake. That is staying on the surface of our minds, on the superficial tip of the iceberg that is consciousness.

What really matters? Deciding what’s right or wrong, taking a stand based on conviction, judging, condemning, praising, coming to an agreement, and so on? What insight or understanding is there in agreeing with each other? Isn’t all such activity part of the pattern, the stream of consciousness, conditioning, we have been talking about? Isn't THAT what it matters to understand?

Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #45

idiot ? wrote:
There are a number of other things in Mary Z's book. I only mentioned a few. Does anyone want to discuss any other things K did and said? I only jotted down some that struck me as I was reading.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue that. It's obviously up to you. Does it mean that you are putting awareness and observation "on hold"? That K's behaviour is so outrageous that you don't see the necessity for understanding the mind?

I would be still be interested in your take on what I previously asked you:

Huguette . wrote:
Can you show me the necessity for further investigation? And what do you mean by “investigate”? Read more books, watch more videos about K to see if there’s more information there? Talk about it, analyze it, measure it, exchange ideas about it? Is there anything more we can unearth that can explain this strange behaviour, or that can invalidate what K pointed to? Isn’t it there before us as it is - incongruous, puzzling, creepy, disturbing? Isn’t it clear as it is?

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #46
Thumb_donna_and_jim_fb_bw Tom Paine United States 3122 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:
Tom Paine wrote:

H: There is nothing about this information of K's strange behaviour that changes the facts K points to.

T: Right.

Huguette . wrote:
Nonetheless, isn't superstition muddied disordered thinking, irrational thought? It is not necessary to deny, rationalize or excuse it, just as it is not necessary to dwell on it. Why not simply acknowledge that it is incongruous in light of K's clear, rational, sane thinking

Sure...it's incongruous. But my second sentence after the one quoted above was "How does that impact me and my life? " It doesn't change the fact that I am in conflict or afraid or depressed one iota to dwell upon K's apparent superstitiousness. It was his life. If he was alive and a close friend, I might ask him, but since he's gone, all I can do is speculate, which is meaningless. It's my own living that needs to be understood, not K's. It might be entertaining to gossip about it, but it doesn't help me to understand myself, right?

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Wed, 27 Jun 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #47

Wim Opdam wrote:
So why name it superstitious at all ?

We have to use words, don't we? We understand they're approximations.

Were K's superstitions based on evidence or reason? Maybe. Was it based on belief? I don't know.

I don't see that it falls into the same category as laying hands on someone. It is clear to me that when someone is in distress, a hand on the shoulder can soothe. It is clear that a hand on an aching head, my own usually, brings relief. There is warmth and energy coming through the hand. There is no man-made material than has the same combination of texture, warmth and energy.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #48

Tom Paine wrote:
It was his life. [...] It's my own living that needs to be understood, not K's.

It was his life, just as Hitler's life was his life. But you would not listen to Hitler's insights, would you?

The gurus and preachers who amass gold also spout some insightful sounding words. So the character of the man or woman does matter.
Nonetheless, upon investigation, the insightful sounding words of the gurus and preachers who amass gold are not solid and immovable, as I see it. And as we both see it and say, it is the immovability of what K points to which matters. He points it out and we can see it is so. There is no question of believing it but of seeing it.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #49
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5119 posts in this forum Offline

Idiot, this crusade you are on could be a valuable learning experience for you. Do you see that you had an image of K going into your quest to dig into what others have said about K? After reading certain second and third hand quotes about K taken out of context you developed another image which conflicts with the first one you had. What you write is confused and subjective. You have a point you want to make and you are building a case for it. You seem obsessed with K and not at all interested in what he pointed out.

Start simply. You can see, can't you, that we are all conditioned by our social traditions, religious beliefs, what your parents told us, what our teachers told us which is all part of what each person's particular society generally accepts as a valid view of the world. None of the views are the way the world is it's just that the majority of people accept the view and it becomes the officially accepted view of that particular society or culture. Understanding that these views have formed a prison within which we are all caught and that all of our reactions or rejections are all still within the prison of our conditioning.

Without first understanding the conditioning that has shaped our lives everything else we learn, accept or reject is all part of that conditioning and limited by that conditioning. You must see that what you think you are doing, objective searching for facts, is in fact nonsense.

Instead of examining who you think K was why not examine yourself? K is dead. We all need to find out about ourselves, who we are and how we got this way, if things in this wholly corrupt world are going to change at all.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #50

For those of you suddenly compassionate for me, who wish for me to look at myself, as if I hadn't, I have to say it's kind of amusing. Let's say you're right that any concern about K's superstitions is trivial. Great. Then go start threads about the really important K teachings. We can discuss those, too. On other threads, I have posted at length about meditation, for example, which is extremely important. I've also posted about all kinds of other essential parts of K teaching.

Here in this thread, we're looking at some of K's apparent superstitions, whether or not they are valid, and so on. We've had lots of good discussion with about 50 posts so far. It's nice that there are differing viewpoints.

Were K's superstitions important or trivial? That's part of the discussion.

Must we only talk about the most important matters? Can we not discuss the important AND the less important? Perhaps something that seems small leads to something larger?

It's not like we're off on some tangent unrelated to K. We're discussing K's superstitions. If you wish, please continue talking about these apparent superstitions here, whether you agree with me or not. Also, start threads about important stuff if you want. Thank you.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #51
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1167 posts in this forum Offline

Huguette . wrote:
I don't see that it falls into the same category as laying hands on someone.

that is perfectly understandable

Huguette . wrote:
It is clear to me that when someone is in distress, a hand on the shoulder can soothe. It is clear that a hand on an aching head, my own usually, brings relief. There is warmth and energy coming through the hand. There is no man-made material than has the same combination of texture, warmth and energy.

I'm sure this was/is much more than your explanation c.q. suggestion, and everyone is free to trivialize it and I'm certainly not going to convince anyone.

I'm convinced that not everything can be reasoned or proven and it is too easy to dismiss it as superstition.

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #52

But studying K I have lost fear. I don't have ecstasy or bliss but I have peace most of the time.That happened studying K.I have found everything K said to be valid.

Jayaraj,

Is personal experience proof of the validity of what K said? For example, someone who joins a cult may, at least initially, say that their cult leader has shown them the way to peace and happiness. Also, experience is routinely used a justification for racism and other sorts of discrimination and brutality, isn’t it?

When I say that what K said is valid, immovable, I’m not talking about the imagery of experience. I’m not talking about the results of following K.

I’m not against finding peace but by “valid, immovable”, I refer to the many things he said about workings of the mind - like this, for example, from that QOTD: “A mind that would understand time and continuity must be indifferent to time and not seek to fill that space which you call time with amusement, with worship, with noise, with reading, with going to the film, by every means that you are doing now.” This can be seen directly and only direct perception makes it meaningful.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’m not saying I’m right. Just talking things over with you.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #53

cite>idiot ? wrote:

Why should we accept them as being true?

No, I am not saying to accept anything. I only said we cannot simply say these are superstitions.

My main point is this. I feel it may be a futile exercise dwelling on these things you bring out on K.

We have the teachings. The teachings have enormous depth. It can certainly help the suffering man. I feel it can solve all the problems in the world if man in general goes in to it. Economically too. K said 'Sirs, you are maintaining this world this way'.(words to that effect)

Some of these things you bring up as superstitions may only be possible to understand as we go into the teachings, into the depths of our consciousness. I mean these may be somethings the human being perceives with higher sensitivity, with a different, quieter mind.

K talked about a sacred. Beyond emptiness, beyond energy etc.(Ending of Time & other talks). It doesn't make sense to say that is superstition without starting from scratch, without beginning with ourselves, with our disorder.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #54

Huguette . wrote:
Didn't K himself encourage us to question, doubt and challenge everything?

Huguette, That is precisely one of the reasons why I say his teachings are sacrosanct.

It doesn't allow authority. It talks of facts of life as no other has spoken for centuries. It is there for us to read & discover.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #55

Huguette . wrote:
Is personal experience proof of the validity of what K said?

How else to find out the validity of the teachings?

Teachings are not about K. It is about our life. Each one of us has to discover the truths , the facts about the consciousness by ourselves, isn't It?

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #56

Huguette . wrote:
Didn't K himself encourage us to question, doubt and challenge everything?

Huguette, That is precisely one of the reasons why I say his teachings are sacrosanct.

It doesn't allow authority. It talks of facts of life as no other has spoken for centuries. It is there for us to read & discover.

Isn't there a contradiction in this? K's teachings encourage doubt and yet if someone who listens to him voices doubt, it is seen as blasphemy of sorts?

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 27 Jun 2018 #57

Huguette . wrote:

Is personal experience proof of the validity of what K said?

Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe wrote:>How else to find out the validity of the teachings?
Teachings are not about K. It is about our life. Each one of us has to discover the truths , the facts about the consciousness by ourselves, isn't It?

To find out the validity or truth of what K points to, what he points to must be perceived directly. I cannot say, I have understood and I own that understanding. The understanding is not an experience that is remembered. It must be seen afresh in each moment.

Perception is not time. Experience is time, as I see it. Experience says, "I have seen, and now I know" - which is time, accumulated knowledge. Perception sees, but does not turn that perception into truth. If I turn perception into truth, it becomes knowledge, experience.

Yes, each one of us has to discover the truths about the mind for himself. But one cannot say, "I have seen, I have arrived and I know I have arrived because I'm at peace." And I cannot begrude someone who questions what may seem clear to me, what I understand.

Again:

A mind that would understand time and continuity must be indifferent to time

This post was last updated by Huguette . Wed, 27 Jun 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Jun 2018 #58

Huguette . wrote:
K's teachings encourage doubt and yet if someone who listens to him voices doubt, it is seen as blasphemy of sorts?

No. Not a contradiction. I am saying to talk about these superstitions we have to investigate into ourselves & find out what happens in the process.

He talked of a journey. How to say what is on the way without starting the journey?

I don't know this sacred K talked about. But I don't say it is a superstion.I don't know about it.

Surely a kindergarten kid cannot make an assessment of a PhD holders work. That doesn't mean we accept though. It means it needs inquiry.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Jun 2018 #59

Wim Opdam wrote:
I'm sure this was/is much more than your explanation c.q. suggestion, and everyone is free to trivialize it and I'm certainly not going to convince anyone.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not trivializing it. I'm saying that if a compassionate hand can comfort a stranger, if the warmth etc. of a parent's body can calm a child or lessen his pain, and so on, it is conceivable that the laying on of hands might lessen pain.

This post was last updated by Huguette . Thu, 28 Jun 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 28 Jun 2018 #60

Huguette . wrote:
Perception sees, but does not turn that perception into truth. If I turn perception into truth, it becomes knowledge, experience.

What do you mean here? Did you mean to type memory & typed truth there? If not what does it mean?

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 31 - 60 of 180 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)