Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Why don't we explore some of krishnamurti's questions in this place?

Displaying all 15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sat, 23 Jun 2018 #1
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 680 posts in this forum Offline

That is my question.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 #2
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 680 posts in this forum Offline

The egoes are out of control ,that is why we can't enquire into Krishnamurti's questions ,I say.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 #3

We should have enquired into Krishnamurti's questions long time ago ,it is too late now , sorry to say that...

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 #4

It is too late ,that is what K said..,.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 #5

We have screwed up as humanity.,

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 #6
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 443 posts in this forum Offline

Ken D wrote:
Scientific American article on David Bohm and a new appreciation for his views on quantum mechanics.

Thanks, Ken. Interesting article, including a few mentions of K.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 #7

Goodman, if you have big questions, why don't you just ask them?

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 #8

idiot ? wrote:
Goodman, if you have big questions, why don't you just ask them?

By big question do you mean impossible question?
We can explore k's questions which are more urgent.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 26 Jul 2018 #9

Goodman B wrote:
By big question do you mean impossible question?

I mean any question you want to discuss that you consider important. Why not just present it?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 27 Jul 2018 #10

Krishnamurti' s question is no different than my question .
Why has sex become colossally important?

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 28 Jul 2018 #11

Goodman B wrote:
Why has sex become colossally important?

Is sex colossally important? It may have seemed to be overly important in society to K, since he was raised in repressive Victorian times and did a lot of speaking in the 1960s and 1970s when there was sexual liberation, revolutionary changes in views towards sex.

Is it colossally important to you? It isn't to me. Are breathing, eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom important? Sure. But not colossally. Similarly, sex is something pretty basic to life that doesn't need to be either squelched or over-indulged.

Is it prevalent in advertising and media? Sure. We evolved to be interested in sex so that procreation would perpetuate the species. That's been true for billions of years so it's nothing new. Now that urge is exploited for money. That has been true as long as advertising has existed.

Does it give momentary escape from the self? Sure. Just like movies, drink, lots of escapist activities. But the self returns with its problems after escapism. It takes tremendous investigation to really go into the question of self, arduously following every thought. That is quite different from temporary, escapist relief.

Obviously, different cultures treat sex with varying amounts of restraint on what is permissible. Both suppression and lack of restraint can boost an unhealthy over-interest in sex, both on the individual and societal level. But for many, many people there is a balanced, healthy, reasonable place for it in their lives.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Sat, 28 Jul 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 28 Jul 2018 #12
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5305 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
different cultures treat sex with varying amounts of restraint on what is permissible.

Idiot, your above response #14 is very complete, interesting and overall a good one.

About the one line I selected out of your response: Long ago I read James A Michener's HAWAII. A really epic, detailed and fascinating look at the Polynesian peoples and their migrations especially to Hawaii. I remember Michener writing that the pre-missionary Polynesians regularly practiced 26 different kinds of incest. He named several and left the rest up to the reader's imagination. And, of course, the couple selected to be the "King and Queen" of their people were required to be brother and sister.

I only mention this because it may be the most diverse culturally sanctioned sexual practice relative to what most of us accept today and have accepted, more or less, for quite awhile.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Sat, 28 Jul 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 29 Jul 2018 #13

Unfortunately idiot doesn't even acknowledge the fact that sex is important in America( the place he lives in! ) . So to me his answer is an escape from the question though it is interesting to some.
Another member responded correctly to the question. Unfortunately he had to delete it (Don,t know why?). He said because at the moment of sex the self becomes absent , that is why sex has become colossally important. At last a moment of relief from thought. .

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 29 Jul 2018 #14
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5305 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
Unfortunately idiot doesn't even acknowledge the fact that sex is important in America( the place he lives in! )

Why do you assume "Idiot?" is a male? I have a deep seated feeling that she is female.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 29 Jul 2018 #15

Goodman B wrote:
He said because at the moment of sex the self becomes absent , that is why sex has become colossally important. At last a moment of relief from thought. .

So the Brain seeks that moment that is free from thought . And sex gives it that moment. Sex temporary makes thought quiet or absent , that is why sex has become colossally important sirs..

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 15 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)