Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

What kind of pet should we humans have including insects and fishes? Is it sane to have and support pets.

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 47 in total
Sun, 06 May 2018 #1
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 677 posts in this forum Offline

This topic has been made me thinking for the last 8 years.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sun, 06 May 2018 #2
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 One Self United States 677 posts in this forum Offline

Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe wrote:
Best is a human pet. No?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 06 May 2018 #3

Human pet , Do you mean someone like me?

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 06 May 2018 #4
Thumb_me_3_reduced_copy Patricia Hemingway Australia 1877 posts in this forum Offline

"What kind of pet should we humans have including insects and fishes? Is it sane to have and support pets."

What kind of authoritarian question is that? Setting up yet another 'should-be'? - just what humanity needs!

If we all get together and agree on this, will we then have the 'truth' of it?

This post was last updated by Patricia Hemingway Sun, 06 May 2018.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Sun, 06 May 2018 #5
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 443 posts in this forum Offline

It's unfortunate that a questioner using the word "should" is pounced on for asking something "authoritarian." We bristle at any question of morality. We want to do whatever we want to do and we don't want anyone else telling us whether it is right or wrong. We immediately reject any kind of right or wrong thinking or any questioning along that line.

I, however, (and others, thankfully) think that it is important to ask if my activities are compassionate. Do I engage in hurtful activities consciously or unconsciously? When I follow my thoughts, do I see their division and cruelty, how they attempt to boost my ego and denigrate others?

We know that K abstained from eating animals. We know that he opposed scientific experiments on animals that cause them harm, known as vivisection. So clearly K went into the question of relationship with animals and took care to avoid certain harmful actions toward them.

The questioner is asking about pets. Is relationship to a pet one of kindness?

Sometimes people feed wild ducks in a pond. To them this feels like an act of kindness. You have only to google "feeding ducks harmful" to learn the unintended consequences.

Sometimes people adopt "rescue" dogs and cats. These animals might be put to death but for the caring of the adopters.

Some animals are not domesticated and long for freedom in the wild. To imprison them as pets is to deprive them of this freedom.

So there are many questions about pets and about relationship. Some of them are not so simple.

To inquire into your relationships, to investigate if they are caring, to find out if there are unintended consequences, are vital activities if we are to get along on this planet, yes? So I hope that we will not be too quick to impose the labels "moralistic" or "authoritarian." Perhaps we really can discover something about relationship and if there is right relationship - not as something imposed, by yourself or by others, but as something that comes out of observing, and caring.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Sun, 06 May 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 06 May 2018 #6

I put this question to change the atmosphere in this site. Dogs and cats are the best companions if you can afford them.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 06 May 2018 #7

Patricia Hemingway wrote:
What kind of authoritarian question is that? Setting up yet another 'should

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 06 May 2018 #8

It is strange how we are manipulated by words. Krishnamurti used words but was never used by words . So let us not to be used by words and their condemnatory connotations.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 07 May 2018 #9
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 443 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
Dogs and cats are the best companions if you can afford them.

Why are dogs and cats the best companions? Because they don't talk back? Because they don't challenge you the way humans can? Because they reward you with affection as long as you feed them?

Many, many people love their pets more than other humans. Why?

And why do we love dogs and cats and yet are fine with eating chickens, cows, and pigs?

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 07 May 2018 #10

People who have the facilities to adopt a dog or a cat or an animal who doesn't have a shelter are the selfish ones not the one who cares for them. You got it the other way around my friend. .

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 09 May 2018 #11
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1208 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:

Sir,

Once a lady wrote in the papers an article about difference between your pet dog & your husband.

She said your pet dog you can bathe any time & your husband you cannot!

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Wed, 09 May 2018 #12
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 728 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:

And why do we love dogs and cats and yet are fine with eating chickens, cows, and pigs?

Most of us are surely full of contradictions a lot of the time. We may treat our dog with great affection and kindness yet be happy to eat a pig that has been treated with cruelty in a factory farm. We may have tender relationships with our family and friends yet be capable of terrible violence towards other humans in other contexts such as a war. Is this because we are completely divided and incapable of seeing life as a whole? If I could see that hurting another human or an animal was like hurting myself, would I do it? Some people that I know cry when they see a tree cut down in the lovely woods where I regularly walk. I think that means something.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 09 May 2018 #13
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5300 posts in this forum Offline

Sir,

Once a lady wrote..........

Exactly! And it gave me a good laugh.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Wed, 09 May 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 10 May 2018 #14

Or do these life forms only experience some sensation & unaware of death?

So what is the limit?

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 10 May 2018 #15

I think that presently you are extremely confused and need to de-confuse your mind as soon as posibole (as a friend not as a rival.)...

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 10 May 2018 #16

Killing animals in any form is evil. There is no justification.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 10 May 2018 #17

deconfuse
Function: verb
Definition: to help to understand: to make not confused
Example Sentence: I do not understand this math problem, and I wish someone would deconfuse me.

This post was last updated by One Self Thu, 10 May 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #18

Goodman B wrote:
I think that presently you are extremely confused and need to de-confuse your mind as soon as posibole (as a friend not as a rival.)...

You made up the word de-confuse. No one talks that way. But there is a solution to understanding confusion. Confusion occurs when instead of seeing what is one invents and dwells on what should be. This is a movement in time, which is thought, which is conditioned.

Instead of seeing confusion you are thinking about ending it. When one says I am confused now but in the future I won't be what is happening? You have moved away from confusion because you desire to be something else. Not confused.

One has invented the ideal of "de-confusion". Where in this is the awareness of confusion? How can you not be confused if you don't understand what confusion is?

How can you understand confusion if you are concerned with de-confusion?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #19
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1312 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
Where in this is the awareness of confusion?

There is a 'sensation' that we name 'confusion' based on memory of past similar sensations. Then we (thought) says must get out of this 'confused' state. To where? To its opposite, non-confusion. (staggering down the corridor of opposites?) I see this process as what K. has called the "trick" of the thinker: 'becoming'...I am this now but I will be that. It also brings in 'time' where it imagines a 'future' where I will no longer be 'confused' etc. The way I see it. This all starts with the naming of the sensation and thought carrying it on, doesn't it?

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Fri, 11 May 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #20

So Dan and Jack have different opinions about confusion because possibly they only read about confusion in books. Krishnamurti tels the truth about confusion. I suggest you two check it out.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #21

Goodman B wrote:
So Dan and Jack have different opinions about confusion

No. Dan and Jack are saying the same thing.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #22

Jack Pine wrote:
No. Dan and Jack are saying the same thing.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 11 May 2018 #23

Yes they both have opinions. Opinions don't get us anywhere.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 12 May 2018 #24
Thumb_dm Dan McDermott United States 1312 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
Yes they both have opinions. Opinions don't get us anywhere.

You have a rude way about you Goodman, you don't seem to listen (read) and you make judgements about others. Why do you do that? Do you think that it is appropriate to act in that way? Here on a forum about Krishnamurti's work?

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Sat, 12 May 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 12 May 2018 #25

Dan McDermott wrote:
You have a rude way about you Goodman,

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 12 May 2018 #26

You are free to have your opinions. Must you have a self- image!

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 12 May 2018 #27

Goodman, how old are you? Do your parents know you are spending so much time on this site? This site is for grown ups and not some kind of entertainment blog for you to come on and be rude and childish.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 12 May 2018 #28

Your conditioning is to oppose what you hear in here .I don't know if you don't understand what I said or you choose to misunderstand what you read to have something to say. Whatever it is it shows your aggression in a subtle way.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 12 May 2018 #29

This quoting a piece of what someone writes and responding to the sentence instead of comprehending the whole paragraph that is written is what is childish and imature and always runs into opposing comments. I am sure there are other people in this site who have problem with your subtle agression. I am glad that they didn't make you a moderator in this site of krishnamurti.

This post was last updated by One Self Sat, 12 May 2018.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 12 May 2018 #30

Goodman, you need to see your own aggression and need to attack others. You are the one who is doing this yet you ignore it and accuse others instead.

And I wouldn't take a position as a site moderator if you paid me. The only one who really does it well on this website is Dev.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 47 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)