Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

What is silence? Is it static or it changes it's qualities all the time?


Displaying posts 181 - 199 of 199 in total
Fri, 04 May 2018 #181
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

If you earnestly want to find out what krishnamurti says about silence which is the topic of this blog why don't you find out what he says about silence instead of turning silence into an idea. Forget the conditioning because apparently it is a word that has lost its meaning and according to you we all are conditioned and will be conditioned till death. So no point discussing that.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Fri, 04 May 2018 #182
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 5206 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman, do you realize that frequently you are multiple posting? The same post two or three times together? Is there someone there who can show you how to use your computer? I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not double posting on purpose.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Fri, 04 May 2018 #183
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

It is this site , I only click once and it posts many, once it posed five times .

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Fri, 04 May 2018 #184
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

Any how this blog is about silence but noise seems to be a distraction. Noise of constant argument about this or that. That is why I generally monologue in these sites rather than dialogue.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #185
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1199 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
But you cannot understand your conditioning that is the problem. If you could understand your conditioning you would have already done that .

How do you deduct this from my previous post please?

Do you mean to say a human being cannot understand his conditioning?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #186
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1199 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
Any how this blog is about silence but noise seems to be a distraction. Noise of constant argument about this or that. That is why I generally monologue in these sites rather than dialogue.

Goodman,

Dear sir,

I found Jack's questioning to be very relevant,to the point & very, very, intelligent. Most of the time the posts left hardly any room for further clarification.

So if you really feel he is hedging please study his posts a bit more carefully. They are very enlightening(up to now) & you can learn by it.

If not please read the following books by K while you converse with us-

1) Freedom from the Known.
2) First & Last Freedom.(I've read this about 4 times)
3) Urgency of Change.
4) Flight of the Eagle.
5) Awakening of Intelligence.

And later(after a lapse),

6) Wholeness of Life.
7) Ending of Time.

Please forgive me if you think I am being rude. I am not. To benefit you & that is why we have to be on this site- or to help each other,I feel that is what you must do.

Your knowledge of K's teaching is inadequate to challenge Jack. So please be humble, honest & look at things , yourself more critically & reform your posts so that it is a constructive dialogue to all the participants. Up to now the ego contest you accused Jack of & hedging, was not by him but by you really.

You know I say this because each of us,all those who are earnest about self inquiry, must face our actual situation. Then only we can learn. Then only dialogue will be useful to you & us.

Look forward to converse.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #187
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe wrote:
Dear sir,

I found Jack's questioning to be very relevant,to the point & very, very, intelligent.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #188
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

Okay so what?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #189
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

What are exactly his questions please clarify it for us.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #190
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1199 posts in this forum Offline

This is self inquiry we are involved in, isn't it? So what is self inquiry? It is to inquire to find out our true nature isn't it? This requires honesty & earnestness isn't it? If I am angry I must be able to say I am angry, isn't it? Otherwise can I see my nature? All pretence must be put aside. So this means we have to be clear of our motive, isn't it? Because motive will colour our findings.Our desire then will act as a vail which hides facts from us.
So can we be free of motive in our inquiry? Because then only we will be able to see facts, right?
So what is your motive? Can you find out & be free of it please?I am not telling you to tell us. Please find out yourself.
Then can we take up a question & look at it? Not as rivals , not as a competition but out of mutual interest to find out as friends, amicably?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #191
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

I am very well familier with krishnamurt. Have read all of his books but there is a great danger to make krishnamurti into an authority. That is what Mr jack is doing. He uses his memory of what k has said and he interjects. He thinks that we are unaware of what k has said. When you merely mimic k nothing comes out of it , it stalls. But when you put krishnamurti or anyone else aside and think for yourself then things happens. That is all.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #192
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

And I found out that Mr jack is not here to inquire, he is here to remind us of what krishnamurti said . He compares what is said with krishnamurti's words and then he responds from that comparison. So he doesn't understand what you write . Plus to him everything is an idea . Silence is an idea to him . Freedom , unconditioned mind, probably happiness is an idea to him . When everything is an idea to a person what is there to discuss ?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #193
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

Goodman B wrote:
Is silence the absence of noise or much more?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sat, 05 May 2018 #194
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

Where there is noise there is no silence. The noise is the "me". The noise comes from thought trying to become something.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sun, 06 May 2018 #195
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1199 posts in this forum Offline

Goodman B wrote:
. Have read all of his books but there is a great danger to make krishnamurti into an authority. That is what Mr jack is doing.

What is authority? It is accepting the edicts, views , of another without seeing facts related to it, isn't it? It is accepting another without seeing for yourself what the person says is true , right?

Now if we take up something K said & look at it, is it authority? Then how do we read any book at all? If we study the statement is it authority? We are looking at a statement & inquiring, looking in to it. Then is that authority? It becomes authority if we merely accept the statement without seeing the truth in it ourselves, isn't it?

Now how do you say that Jack was repeating? He was talking about conditioning & made very factual statements. Now has he accepted K as an authority & saying it or has he understood what he was saying. why is that important anyway. Personally I got the impression that he is very clear about what he said.I am not saying you must accept my view there. What is the need?

Now do you know Jack personally to say the statement is merely a repetition of K? Have you seen him going to church & preying? Or have you seen him supporting nationalism in US? Otherwise how do you say this? I myself drive mother to the temple & stay in the car park or walk around but that doesn't make me a follower of tradition. (anyhow otherwise mother will hire a tuk tuk which will cost more money & inconvenience at her age).

So how to make this judgement? Is that so important if the questioning is relevant? Personally I don't bother about the poster. I just look at the content & look at the point & try to address it. Is that not enough?

I said here once when we play soccer we must attack the ball, not the player.

Let me quote K. Please read it. Study it. Not accept but study the statement. Why this repulsion against studying statements of such an incredibly great teacher? If we accept the statement because of K's reputation, then it is authority.

Is this relevant? -(by K)

"No person can judge with certitude whether the acts of another do or do not have integrity,& that the desire for consistency between the teacher & the teachings simply mirrors the conditioning of the questioner."

Not accept the statement. But when we look at it, it is valid, is it not?

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Sun, 06 May 2018 #196
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

It is a horrible mistake to turn blue prints out of k's words. K was not an English teacher. He didn't brag about his intellect but we subtly do that. We are all mischievous in our own ways . The problem is the we are blind to ourselves . We only see other's mischievous behaviours.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 07 May 2018 #197
Thumb_1507053_1_ Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe Sri Lanka 1199 posts in this forum Offline

Well, I don't understand this.
What is exactly the point we are tackling now?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 07 May 2018 #198
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

There is no point in these kind of discussions. Is there anything that you are interested.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 09 May 2018 #199
Thumb_screenshot_20180710-010635 Myself Only United States 520 posts in this forum Online

"You have heard all this. You have heard about the ending of fear, the ending of sorrow, and about beauty and love. But the hearing is one thing, and action is another. You have heard all these things which are true, logical, sane, rational, but you won't act according to that. You will go home and begin all over again—your worries, your conflicts, you miseries. So one asks, 'What is the point of it all? What is the point of listening to the speaker and not living it?' The listening and not doing it is a waster of your life. If you listen to something that is the truth and do not act, you are wasting your life. And life is much too precious. It is the only thing that we have. And we have also lost touch with nature, which means we have lost touch with ourselves, which is part of nature. You do not love the trees, the birds, the waters, the mountains. We are destroying the earth. And we are destroying each other. All that is such a waste of life. When one realizes all this, not merely intellectually or verbally, then one lives a religious life. To put on a loincloth or to go around begging or to join a monastery—that is not a religious life. The religious life begins when there is no conflict, when there is this sense of love. Then you can love another, your wife or your husband, but that love is shared by all human beings. It is not given to one person and is therefore not restricted.

So, if you give your heart and mind and brain, there is something that is beyond all time. And there is the benediction of that. Not in temples, not in churches, not in mosques. That benediction is where you are."

J. Krishnamurti, The Last Bombay Talks, 1985

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Displaying posts 181 - 199 of 199 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)