Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Being what one is

Displaying posts 61 - 64 of 64 in total
Sat, 04 Nov 2017 #61
Thumb_baboon-9186 dave h United Kingdom 1165 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
What about the concepts of my country...my religion...my house or car...my beloved possessions(leaving aside that we all need basic shelter and perhaps a car to get to the supermarket and work)....as well as 'me'...'you'...good/bad...right/wrong? Are these somehow related to our 'basic drives'?

I would say so Tom. My tribe, my family, or with animals, my pack, my pride, my colony. Thought can warp and exaggerate these basic instincts, but it can also help to explore their inappropriateness.

This post was last updated by dave h Sat, 04 Nov 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 04 Nov 2017 #62

richard head wrote:
Issues seem to arise when we expand that capacity to compare subjectively, no?

When we think that there is more to "what should be" than the expression of desire to fulfill an image, then we confuse the two.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 04 Nov 2017 #63
Thumb_stringio richard head United States 332 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

dave h wrote:
When we think that there is more to "what should be" than the expression of desire to fulfill an image, then we confuse the two.

I am wondering then, if it is something as simple as a recurring thought, how humanity collectively cannot see the stupidity in thinking the same thought(s) over and over and expecting a different result?

Trapped by biology indeed.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 12 Dec 2017 #64

richard head wrote:
I am wondering then, if it is something as simple as a recurring thought, how humanity collectively cannot see the stupidity in thinking the same thought(s) over and over and expecting a different result?

We live in a society where one man trades off another man's suffering for their own pleasure. Pleasure is the drug, and there's a lot of peer pressure.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Displaying posts 61 - 64 of 64 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)