Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Racism, Nationalist Identification, Religious Belief

Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Wed, 20 Sep 2017 #1
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 4916 posts in this forum Offline

Does one see that identifying with a particular "race" based on the color of one's skin or other physical differences is no different than one calling oneself an American, British, Chinese, Russian, etc.....
........or one calling oneself a Christian, Muslim, Hebrew, Buddhist, Hindu/Sikh and so on.

Do you see how we are dividing ourselves from the rest of humanity and fostering misunderstanding and distrust by identifying with a particular religion, nationality and/or race? It is all the same.

It is all bigoted, prejudiced reaction to our world based on our particular conditioning. And do we see that this is dividing and destroying the world? We, homo sapiens, seem to need to separate ourselves from others to feel superior, better in some way. This seems to be the root of all conflict. Is it? Must we feel separate from our fellow man to feel alive? There will never be peace on the earth as long as there is this separation that is based only upon limited, twisted ignorance that we are educated to believe and encouraged to perpetuate.

And it will continue until each of us sees that we are not separate, not different, not better or worse. All this ignorance of who we are is the result of social, cultural, economic, religious conditioning. The world is being destroyed right before our eyes and we are all part of this destruction in our own way.

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Wed, 20 Sep 2017.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Fri, 22 Sep 2017 #2
Thumb_mike Michael Christani United States 5 posts in this forum Offline

There are beautiful aspects of various cultures- most cultures have some beautiful, historical continuity, whether in food, dress, manners, architecture and so on and so on. It is the identification with a culture, nation, race, that brings such stupidity. Wars over race, nationality, probably derive from the land, clan identifications of primitive man, and have grown more complex and stupid, and now with such infinitely higher stakes in money and economy, the borders need to be defended at all costs. So nukes and so on.

Sign in to recommend
Sat, 23 Sep 2017 #3
Thumb_77 Ken D United States 20 posts in this forum Offline

The only positive thing nationalism has given us is a wide variety of good cuisine.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Sep 2017 #4

While culture can be beautiful, 'race' is a strange word, manipulated so easily, and into such monstrosities- ethnic cleansing, pride of race, which is so silly-As if you took part somehow in the historical, artistic, philosophic etc achievements of your "ancestors"? It is pride and it's so utterly baseless. You are just you and a human being and without a couple surface features, basically and deeply the same as every other human being.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Sep 2017 #5
Thumb_nolet Rich Nolet Canada 235 posts in this forum Offline

Ken D wrote:
The only positive thing nationalism has given us is a wide variety of good cuisine.

I would make a little nuance here Ken. Aren't we here mixing up nationalism ( as I am an American or I am Chinese) with cultural environnement ? Cultural difference is richness. Like food , clothes , art, or science etc, as you and Mike just said. Though nationalism is more like prejudices, protectionism, borders, fear of the other ?

This post was last updated by Rich Nolet Sun, 24 Sep 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 24 Sep 2017 #6

Michael Christani wrote:
While culture can be beautiful, 'race' is a strange word, manipulated so easily, and into such monstrosities- ethnic cleansing, pride of race, which is so silly-As if you took part somehow in the historical, artistic, philosophic etc achievements of your "ancestors"? It is pride and it's so utterly baseless. You are just you and a human being and without a couple surface features, basically and deeply the same as every other human being.

Yes. I would just add that nationality and religion are in the same vein, as Jack pointed out..

This post was last updated by Rich Nolet Sun, 24 Sep 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 25 Sep 2017 #7

Deeply, the basic problem is identification. We identify with innumerable things, from possessions, relationship, culture... What is the root of it? Is it to be bigger, better, safer, richer inside? If at the root of the self there is truly nothing, is identification an escape from that? And the other problem is that we defend what we're identified with. I think the very word identification is related to 'identity'. It makes you think...

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 26 Sep 2017 #8

Identification. I am my house, my religion, my country, my culture. That's what the self is. My desires, my ambitions, my traditions. I am strongly attached to all that; to my house, my family , my country. That is what the self is made off. And the self also want that all that continue. The self is also time, perpetuation, desire for continuity. And those attachements, those identifications breeds fear , conflict and war. It effectivily makes you think.

This post was last updated by Rich Nolet Tue, 26 Sep 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 01 Oct 2017 #9
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 4916 posts in this forum Offline

In addition there are groups of so-called "patriots" who in the name of nationalism and religion (Christianity is, and always has been, very much a park of the neo-fascist movement) are organizing and attacking the standing order. Not just in the US but also in Germany, Sweden, Great Britain and other countries.

The US seems to be leading the way. The political party known as the GOP may be the most serious threat to the survival of the world that exists today. The other major political US party is mostly just standing around watching.

For those of you who have forgotten what "Fascism" stands for I offer this definition: .

(sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 01 Oct 2017 #10
Thumb_open-uri20171115-31086-13da1wu-0 Dan McDermott United States 1215 posts in this forum Offline

It seems that we have always since our time here, been as described above. ( No psychological "evolution" as K. suggested.) What is so much more dangerous to us now though is the destructive power of our modern weapons: armaments, nuclear bombs, chemical but also because of the lack of responsibility among us and advances in science, we have an enormous ability to pollute the earth and the waters and the populations as never before. The dictator also now can have much stricter control over entire populations and deal with uprisings in ways that would have been impossible in the past. The list of dangers is long.

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Sun, 01 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Mon, 02 Oct 2017 #11
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1046 posts in this forum Offline

Dan McDermott wrote:
The list of dangers is long.

Yes this list of dangers is inexhaustible.

See the so called 'democratic processes'.

The people said is claimed on a referendum on 90% Yes from 42% of voters! (Spain). On the other hand the violence to make this vote impossible.

What about the non-voters ??

To me this claim would only be valid if by an attendancy of 3/4, 2/3 of the voters is pro or contra only than 50% of the population has spoken out.

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Mon, 02 Oct 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 11 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)