General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

the battlefield

Displaying all 7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Tue, 25 Jul 2017 #1
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1030 posts in this forum Offline

Poona, Maharastra, India | 5th Public Talk 21st September 1958

Why are we influenced?
In politics, as you know, it is the job of the politician to influence us; and every book, every teacher, every guru - the more powerful, the more eloquent the better we like it - imposes his thought, his way of life, his manner of conduct, upon us. So life is a battle of ideas, a battle of influences, and your mind is the field of the battle.
The politician wants your mind; the guru wants your mind; the saint says, do this and not that, and he also wants your mind; and every tradition, every form of habit or custom, influences, shapes, guides, controls your mind. I think that is fairly obvious.
It would be absurd to deny it. The fact is so.

What in this sense means "make up your mind ! ??

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 25 Jul 2017 #2
Thumb_de4 Dan McDermott United States 1210 posts in this forum Offline

Wim Opdam wrote:
What in this sense means "make up your mind ! ??

Hi Wim

In english this phrase is used when asking someone to make a decision between possibilities. I don't see how it fits into K.'s quote. It's usually used like this: " Do you want to stay or go, make up your mind!"

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 26 Jul 2017 #3

Dan McDermott wrote:
In english this phrase is used when asking someone to make a decision between possibilities.
I don't see how it fits into K.'s quote.

Hi Dan

That's just what hits me, it is so easy used but by using it one is forcing the other person to make a decision while he is in a state of unknowing to a state of accepting or denying a certain situation without any understanding !!

An almost daily way of the battlefield he is talking about
without we understanding what we are doing !!

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 26 Jul 2017 #4

It's like a crazy house with everyone pretending that they're not crazy! ( but scratch one of them and watch out!)

This post was last updated by Dan McDermott Wed, 26 Jul 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 #5

Dan McDermott wrote:
It's like a crazy house with everyone pretending that they're not crazy!

Seeing one is the crazy one not only in the cuckoo's nest but also outside it is not enough to change, is it ?

Even the crazy ones can act inteligently by seeing the truth of what is implied by the daily routine of thought acting !!

I've seen a lot of daily one-liners who are if one look into them are crazy ones.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 27 Jul 2017 #6

Wim Opdam wrote:
I've seen a lot of daily one-liners

Who are the "daily one-liners"?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 28 Jul 2017 #7

Dan McDermott wrote:
Who are the "daily one-liners"?

I didn't mean persons but how thought is visible and Mindlessly used within the language !!

David Bohm made an attempt by his rheomode to make language used correctly.
" the gras is not green it is the light reflection which do it " "so the gras is greening !!" and there are other examples.

Take for example the Obamacare and Trumpcare as if they take care of the healt of the people a neutral term would be Healthcare although the farmaceutian industry making more money by keeping you ill than by taking care of your health.

"Nobel" made his money by dynamite but now it is associated with the yearly price but how manny people are killed by his invention !!.

Realizing the dept of thought nestled in the use of language suddenly touched me deeply and made me realize the depth of K. saying 'it would create another society'
if people understood.

This post was last updated by Wim Opdam Fri, 28 Jul 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 7 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)