Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Was Krishnamurti senile at the end of his life?

Displaying all 10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Tue, 18 Jul 2017 #1
Thumb_9204480_n03 French Touch France 42 posts in this forum Offline

With this quote you have to wonder.

“You won’t find another body like
this, or that supreme intelligence
operating in a body for many hundred
years. You won’t see it again. When he
goes, it goes. There is no
consciousness left behind of that
consciousness, of that state. They’ll
all pretend or try to imagine they can
get into touch with that. Perhaps they
will somewhat if they live the
teachings. But nobody has done it.
Nobody. And so that’s that.” (M.
Lutyens, The Open Door, p. 149)

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 18 Jul 2017 #2
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 190 posts in this forum Offline

No, I don't believe K was senile. This quote is often talked about.

To me, the main thing K is saying is that he leaves no spiritual successor. He didn't feel that anyone had fully seen into what he taught and was qualified to carry on his teaching. The recordings of his teachings would have to stand alone.

In a way this is the Theosophical idea that he was raised in: the planet gets a World Teacher every 500 years or so. He was it and there won't be another for some time. Beware any imposters that may follow.

Now my personal view is that K was unique only in that each of us is unique. The things he taught are available to pretty much everyone. Other people can, have, and will discover deep insight. Compared to a lot of religions, K teaching was remarkably free of baggage but he did bring some baggage to it. Others will bring their different baggage and slants.

It is up to each person to investigate deeply and transform. The earth certainly needs it.

This post was last updated by idiot ? Tue, 18 Jul 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Wed, 19 Jul 2017 #3
Thumb_001 Sean Hen Spain 563 posts in this forum Offline

Hello French Touch. I remember reading the quote when I read The Open Door many years ago. Reading it again, it doesn't suggest to me that K was in any way senile. What in particular suggests senility to you in the quote, may I ask?

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 20 Jul 2017 #4
Thumb_9204480_n03 French Touch France 42 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? I really like your comment.
Sean Hen. About every word. Occasionally (I should say very rarely) K arrogance made things more complicated than they are, contradictory with everything he has demonstrated so beautifully.

Sign in to recommend
Sun, 23 Jul 2017 #5

Hello French Touch and all. The video below (just under 10 minutes) was filmed about six weeks before Krishnamurti died. Based on the evidence from this clip, Krishnamurti did not seem at all senile when it was filmed. You can watch the video here.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Sun, 23 Jul 2017 #6

idiot ? wrote:
It is up to each person to investigate deeply and transform. The earth certainly needs it.

Hello idiot? and all. I don't imagine anyone would argue with the sentence you wrote above idiot?. I think it's interesting that in the quote from K that started this thread he says, "But nobody has done it." Perhaps there was a certain amount of frustration on K's part that after so many years dedicated to pointing the way, nobody, in his view, had changed in the way that he talked about. He also said in the same quote, "They'll all pretend or try to imagine they can get in touch with that. Perhaps they will somewhat if they live the teachings." I don't see anything outrageous about that at all. It seems accurate to me and leaves the door open, as it were, for anyone with sufficient interest to investigate deeply and transform.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Mon, 24 Jul 2017 #7
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 1030 posts in this forum Offline

Sean Hen wrote:
He also said in the same quote, "They'll all pretend or try to imagine they can get in touch with that. Perhaps they will somewhat if they live the teachings." I don't see anything outrageous about that at all. It seems accurate to me and leaves the door open, as it were, for anyone with sufficient interest to investigate deeply and transform.

In addition, with this action he has every claim of his inheritance disclaimed, marvelous !!

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 25 Jul 2017 #8
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 4861 posts in this forum Offline

French Touch. It's interesting that when someone doesn't understand something they have heard or read they want to blame the problem on the person making the statement. You read something that most of us have read, some many times, and see clearly what K was saying but you think what he was pointing out was somehow not rational. Perhaps you should be questioning the workings of your own mind?

This post was last updated by Jack Pine Tue, 25 Jul 2017.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Tue, 25 Jul 2017 #9
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 190 posts in this forum Offline

French Touch asked a question. He did not assign blame. He does not deserve to be personally attacked. He questioned something for himself.

Sign in to recommend
Tue, 25 Jul 2017 #10
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 4861 posts in this forum Offline

idiot ? wrote:
French Touch asked a question. He did not assign blame. He does not deserve to be personally attacked. He questioned something for himself.

Well OK. I can see that what you have written above has some validity. I guess what I was asking that person, French Touch, is why would you ask whether K was senile after reading that particular statement of his?

Why do some see that statement clearly for what K was pointing out. To me he was making it clear there was no successor, no one got it. That once K was gone that was it. All that would be left behind were the teachings but no interpreter, no teacher to carry on K's work.

If you see K's statement, as a response (at least partially), to some members of the K Foundations feeling, rightly or wrongly, that David Bohm was lining himself up to be something of a successor to K, if may make more sense.

K's and Bohm's relationship suffered a severe rift in the last year to two of K's life. K realized that Dr Bohm had not understood some or all of the teachings. At least this is what David Peat, the author of INFINITE POTENTIAL The Life and Times of David Bohm, wrote in his biography of Bohm. Information that he may have received fro Bohm's wife Saral or others. And who knows how accurate that information may have been. The rift was real.

And French Touch I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intention.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying all 10 posts
Page 1 of 1
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)