Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Craving

Displaying posts 181 - 186 of 186 in total
Thu, 09 Mar 2017 #181
Thumb_a1056283319_2 Tom Paine United States 2925 posts in this forum Offline

Jean Gatti wrote:
Tom Paine wrote:

It is puzzling me for sure... why it persists.
because the self is not going to surrender without resistance Tom :-)

No, I meant the back and forth bickering between you and Jack. You play a part in continuing it, no? Why not stick to the agreement to not reply to one another here?

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Thu, 09 Mar 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 09 Mar 2017 #182
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 4781 posts in this forum Offline

Tom Paine wrote:
Aren't you trying to play the I am right, you are wrong game? To share some spiritual knowledge? To teach Jack? It seems this is what's causing the rocky relationship you and Jack are having. Possibly I'm off base here. It is puzzling me for sure... why it persists.

What about it puzzles you? Jean immediately paraphrases what others have written to fit the narrow confines of his limited understanding. He has to reinterpret everything to conform to the concrete images, beliefs that he holds about nearly everything. Jean is not the only one who does this. The world is full of Jeans who are rapidly bringing us to a complete break down of society.

Look at what is happening in this country alone. The United States may be the largest gathering of stupidity the world has ever know. Let me give you an example of what a very large segment of the people of the US think. I mean look who we have for president? A narcissistic fool with the mentality of a 10 year old. By the way have you noticed how many personality characteristics Jean shares with Trump?

"One of the difficulties in raising public concern over the very severe threats of global warming is that 40 percent of the US population does not see why it is a problem, since Christ is returning in a few decades. About the same percentage believe that the world was created a few thousand years ago. If science conflicts with the Bible, so much the worse for science. It would be hard to find an analogue in other societies."

Sorry but I lost the source of this quote. Doesn't really make any difference who first wrote it though.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 09 Mar 2017 #183
Thumb_a1056283319_2 Tom Paine United States 2925 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
If science conflicts with the Bible, so much the worse for science.

Yes....the danger of mankind's addiction to 'spiritual' or religious belief is obvious. K was a light in the utter darkness. Btw, I have a friend who is quite intelligent ...in the conventional sense. He's a successful computer technician and has a high level of competence in the field. He believes the earth is only a few thousand years old since the bible tells him so, and the bible is the word of God. How does he know it's the word of God? It says so in the bible.

Let it Be

This post was last updated by Tom Paine Thu, 09 Mar 2017.

Sign in to recommend
Thu, 09 Mar 2017 #184
Thumb_img_0244 Jack Pine United States 4781 posts in this forum Offline

I also know a guy who should know better. The guy I know is an electronic engineer who believes in the 6000 year old earth. He tried to pull me into a debate once about it and I refused. I pointed out to him that being a geologist with a master's degree that I would be dealing in demonstrable facts while he would be dealing in things he accepted blindly, faith.

He and I belonged to a loosely organized group of guys who had built our own small one place airplanes and used to fly together to other nearby airports. I once asked him how he could accept the science of his field and the science of heavier than air flight and not accept the science of global science change. His illogical response sounded like ones we hear here from a certain person. Faith is the paralysis of the mind.

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 10 Mar 2017 #185
Thumb_photo_jg4 Jean Gatti Belgium 8638 posts in this forum Offline

Jack Pine wrote:
Jean. I'm trying to get rid of him

“The best way to destroy your enemy is to make him your friend.”

Abraham Lincoln

Why resist 'what is' ?

Sign in to recommend
Fri, 10 Mar 2017 #186
Thumb_profiel Wim Opdam Belgium 972 posts in this forum Offline

Ojai, California | 6th Public Talk 1946

As this is the last talk of this series perhaps it might be well to make a brief summary of what we have been considering during the past five Sundays.

We further considered how this self-expansive intelligence is to cease reshaping itself negatively. Whether positive or negative, the activity of craving is still within the framework of the self and can this activity ever come to an end? We said that only through self-awareness can this accumulative intelligence of the self cease. We saw this awareness to be from moment to moment, without cumulative power; that in this awareness self-identification-condemnation- modification cannot take place and so there is deep and full understanding. We said that this awareness is not progressive but an instantaneous perception and that the thought of progressive becoming prevents immediate clarification.

Truth will unfold itself for those who enquire their own actions and only to them and for them and to or for no one else.

Sign in to recommend
Displaying posts 181 - 186 of 186 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)