Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
General Discussion | moderated by Dev Singh

Was K Depressed?


Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 135 in total
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #1
Thumb_avatar Angela Moody United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

There was "no hope" and all he had been trained to be (the World Teacher) was unneeded, once everyone was to be a light for themselves. Was K depressed? I know he took regular daily walks which may have helped with depression. But he also seemed to be easily angered and impatient with people he'd talk to. Was that also part of his depression?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #2
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Angela Moody wrote:
Was K depressed?

how could anyone say anything about that..we do not know..so we are left with speculation..assumption...conjecture!.Was Krishnamurti Moody..who knows?He was by all accounts quite human..so....?:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #3
Thumb_avatar Angela Moody United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

There are people still alive who knew K. I am curious how much of K's later teachings was actually related to his own mental (physical) condition and whether or not he was depressed. In his youth, he talked of the "kingdom of happiness". It was seldom mentioned after the 30's. I believe K's doctor is still alive as are others who worked closely with him. Did he exhibit symptoms of depression? How much of the teachings is a result of depression?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #4
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Hi Eva

No, I don't think he was depressed. Are you?

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #5
Thumb_deleted_user_med Muad dhib Ireland 175 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

it seems that yogi bear from sri lanka is back, boycott.......

Dan.....

This post was last updated by Muad dhib (account deleted) Sun, 21 Aug 2011.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #6
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Muad dheeb wrote:
it seems that yogi bear from sri lanka is back, boycott.......

No Dan, the paw-print does not resemble. Methinks it is the fabulous Indo-American post-feminist liberal inter-continental Colossus, ten-year-old Italian-Chinese virgin . . . but also a Kapila-chasing-daemon.

But let us let it flower.

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

This post was last updated by Paul Davidson (account deleted) Sun, 21 Aug 2011.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #7
Thumb_avatar Angela Moody United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

Paul and Muad, apparently you think you have met me here before. Today is my first day. I have asked a serious question. Because of the gloominess surrounding the teachings, today I've been reading about K and depression and wondered if anyone knew for themselves about his condition. He had money troubles with his publications and foundations, was reliant on charm and charity, had relationship troubles, all of which could contribute to depression. His teaching may have evolved out of this depression. If speaking was all he knew to do, how could he stop? People with depression continue their jobs. The question is how much did K's depression cast shadow upon the teachings?

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #8
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Angela Moody wrote:
The question is how much did K's depression cast shadow upon the teachings?

Perhaps you assume too much..the teachings would seem to dispel depression..not be the fruit of it!

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Sun, 21 Aug 2011 #9
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Angela Moody wrote:
Because of the gloominess surrounding the teachings,

It is neither here nor there..gloominess is the product of self in disatisfaction with what is!

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #10
Thumb_man_question_mark dhirendra singh India 2984 posts in this forum Offline

Angela Moody wrote:
I believe K's doctor is still alive as are others who worked closely with him.

Hi

This is not matter of belief, you can find him with a little exercise if he is really alive and can ask him directly if you are really curious enough as you claim.

I have never seen that doctor here.

I don't know

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #11
Thumb_man_question_mark dhirendra singh India 2984 posts in this forum Offline

Angela Moody wrote:
Paul and Muad, apparently you think you have met me here before. Today is my first day.

But it seems that you were here before, by which name?, please tell us if you like, I am curious to know.:)

I don't know

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #12
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

dhirendra singh wrote:
I am curious to know.:)
I don't know

:)

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #13
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

I am always curious when someone joins the site and 'on their first day' comes up with a provocative and superficial analysis posing as an innocent question. I still remember our recent encounters with the beloved Yogi-Raj who started with "What is thought?" and ended up issuing a psychiatric report on K's schizophrenia.

I am sure one can find 'symptoms' for everything from birth trauma to erectile dysfunction in any writer (including the compositors of the Oxford Dictionary), if one has the patience, perseverence and moral incontinance.

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #14
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Angela Moody wrote:
But he also seemed to be easily angered and impatient with people he'd talk to.

You see, this could have been a serious discussion if you had just asked a simple question about this impression you hold. You could have said you had gained an impression that K was impatient and questioned it openly. But you moved to diagnosis and alienated everyone with your glib American schoolgirl indifference.

All I hear now is a prattle from Seattle.

You're daydreaming, girl.

Spit out that gum and get back to your assignment.

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

This post was last updated by Paul Davidson (account deleted) Mon, 22 Aug 2011.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #15
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Another thing that strikes me is your choice of name - Moody! A moody angel or an angry mood?

Oh it's all so pitifully Freudian!

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

This post was last updated by Paul Davidson (account deleted) Mon, 22 Aug 2011.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #16
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Paul Davidson wrote:
Oh it's all so pitifully Freudian!

:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #17
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Pitifully Freudian..or pitifully fraudulent?:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #18
Thumb_avatar Angela Moody United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

My apologies for offending. Earlier in the morning (before reistering here) I had read an account of where K's teaching almost drove one person to suicide. I wondered if depressed people were attracted to the teachings and if K, himself, was depressed. I also know that depression harbors temperamental, angry moods. This discussion site attracts that! So here we are all Freudian, and fraudulent, and letting off steam.

I have visited this site several times before deciding to register.
Perhaps, the post was provacative and out of line. One could also ask if the teachings were overshadowed by K's migraines, by the child abuse at the hands of the theosophists, by K's influenzas. In all honesty, I think the teachings made it through the K-ship quite well, despite his frailities. The teachings have made it through centuries, through multiple vehicles.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #19
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Well, let us suppose that you are who you say and have come here in all innocence.

Why would you say K was depressed? No one who knew him has said such a thing. I never met the man but have watched plenty of videos and read plenty of accounts. Nowhere have I seen any evidence of depression. He always seems to me to have had such a tremendous zest for life.

All the 'evidence' you present is truly mediocre. I am not offended by it in the least but somewhat saddened that you should spend so much time concocting drama . . . and I wonder what is behind it, if not another disruption effort, of which this site has seen quite a few.

I think that if you took the issue seriously you would go into it thoroughly before making your conclusions public - for although you pose your conclusion as a question, "Was K depressed" it is obvious you have a set conclusion and the question is merely a hook on which to hang that conclusion.

So please take your time to investigate what is depression. There are many books on the subject of course, but better, look into yourself and find the answer as to what is depression.

I have known many depressives and usually there is this dearth of life-force for prolonged periods followed by sudden manias. Whereas I see in K a tremendous consistancy of life-force, much more than in most people. No-one who was depressive could have kept up such a pace as K did. It is impossible.

You are correct that the teaching attracts depressives, as does every strange affair. Crazy people are attracted to crazy ideas and to the throwaway society in which we live any serious teaching which questions deeply is crazy. They attract the dissaffected just as revolutionary politics does. It is therefore not surprising to find all sorts of oddities hovering at the fringes - and we do.

All extremes meet, including sanity and insanity. It is the middle ground which I abhor, the 'normality,' the average, the mean and the respectable.

Blessed are the sane and the insane. Damned are the indifferent.

K has been accused of being a depressive, a schitzophrenic, a psychotic, a delusionary, an autist, an idiot savant, a conscious fraud and even an epileptic. Please note the modern trend to psychologise that which we do not understand.

Angela, if you put together a bunch of lies, half-truths, slanders and allegations you are doing no more than the most vulgar newspapers do when they wish to witchunt, discredit and bait a subject. It does you no credit at all and is extremely bad practice for your brain.

Please wake up to the fact of it. It is self-harm.

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 2 readers
Back to Top
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 #20
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Angela Moody wrote:
In his youth, he talked of the "kingdom of happiness". It was seldom mentioned after the 30's.

Have you read K, Angela? The expression, "Kingdom of Happiness" that he used in his youth points to the exact same as "the bliss of the sacred" and so on he spoke of much later and "the ground of all being" very late on. He spoke of timelessness and eternity and many other things all through his life. He shed many illusions along the way, many things that clouded his vision. But he never lost that vision of Truth and Reality which he first called the kingdom.

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Back to Top
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 #21
Thumb_tampura ganesan balachandran India 2204 posts in this forum Offline

Angela Moody wrote:
His teaching may have evolved out of this depression.

No.His teaching continued as he finished of Veda.
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 #22
Thumb_avatar Angela Moody United States 12 posts in this forum Offline

GB, I don't understand when you said "His teaching continued as he finished of Veda". It seems the teachings are perpetual.

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 #23
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

Angela Moody wrote:
It seems the teachings are perpetual.

My dear Angela..would you mind terribly....what you mean by perpetual? Thank you!:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 #24
Thumb_avatar idiot ? United States 649 posts in this forum Offline

Paul Davidson wrote:
your glib American schoolgirl indifference.

All I hear now is a prattle from Seattle.

Just because someone hails from the colonies doesn't mean you have to tell her to get back in her pram.

Rather bloody nationalistic, eh old chap?

;)

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 1 reader
Back to Top
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 #25
Thumb_deleted_user_med Muad dhib Ireland 175 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

idiot ? wrote:
Rather bloody nationalistic, eh old chap?

well the only flag we see all over the planer with its army seems to be yours..

Dan.....

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Tue, 23 Aug 2011 #26
Thumb_stringio RICK LEIN United States 4436 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

There is only conflict between two false things..in this case nationalism!:)

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 #27
Thumb_tampura ganesan balachandran India 2204 posts in this forum Offline

Angela Moody wrote:
It seems the teachings are perpetual.

yes, vedas are perpetual and JK is a continuation.
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 #28
Thumb_tampura ganesan balachandran India 2204 posts in this forum Offline

RICK LEIN wrote:
perpetual

could be Perennial insights .
gb

We are watching, not waiting, not expecting anything to happen but watching without end. JK

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 #29
Thumb_stringio Paul Davidson United Kingdom 3659 posts in this forum ACCOUNT DELETED

idiot ? wrote:
Just because . . .

That's where you started to go wrong . . . the first words. You are judging the cake by the icing.

idiot ? wrote:
someone hails from the colonies

Is that a fact?

idiot ? wrote:
doesn't mean you have to tell her

Who says I have to?

idiot ? wrote:
to get back in her pram.

Never said such a thing

idiot ? wrote:
Rather bloody nationalistic, eh old chap?

I see the 'American schoolgirl' more as a modern archetype than a national treasure.

idiot ? wrote:
;)

With this I am in complete agreement.

In any case, I doubt Angela is a schoolgirl. I think she finished with that and went on to hairdressing - manicure, pedicure, epicure . . . you know?

"The ego is first and foremost a body ego." S. Freud

Sign in to recommend
Back to Top
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 #30
Thumb_patricia_may_2014_reduced_ Patricia Hemingway Australia 1925 posts in this forum Offline

Angela Moody wrote:
There was "no hope" and all he had been trained to be (the World Teacher) was unneeded, once everyone was to be a light for themselves. Was K depressed? I know he took regular daily walks which may have helped with depression. But he also seemed to be easily angered and impatient with people he'd talk to. Was that also part of his depression?

Assumption piled upon assumption Angela: - "depressed" - "daily walks may have helped" - "easily angered and impatient".

You appear to have an agenda to push on here. But then, one does not want to make an assumption about that, does one?

I mean - one could assume that the teaching of K does not match up to your desires. Well fine - find yourself more of a 'feel-good' guru to follow - there are plenty of them.

There is only one K though! But the teaching of K is not for everyone.

Sign in to recommend  This post has been recommended by 3 readers
Back to Top
Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 135 in total
To quote a portion of this post in your reply, first select the text and then click this "Quote" link.

(N.B. Be sure to insert an empty line between the quoted text and your reply.)