Krishnamurti & the Art of Awakening
Discussion Forums

Jayaraj Kapila Kulasinghe's Forum Posts

Forum: General Discussion

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 1208 in total
Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Wed, 24 Oct 2018

Dan McDermott wrote: That is where 'listening' comes in...if there is attention at the moment the insult or hurt (or flattery) is being delivered, then there could be this 'space' where the words or even the 'look' could be seen and not reacted to in the usual manner.

Yes Dan. However is such attention possible? This full attention means the absence of an observer, isn't it?

Do you think this is directly possible?

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Mon, 22 Oct 2018

Hi Pavani,

Thank you for your message. Nice to meet you here.

I am afraid I am not considered as a gentle person. But it's true I've been investigating what K said all my life. So there can be changes here & there.

Like Jack I also found it difficult to stand when posters picked on K. May be because I consider him to be very great. However now I think these things cannot be stopped. Like many other things K critics also will be there always.

If my understanding is correct you are right it is my image that I've built over the years that gets hurt when it is impinged.

So the question is can we end this image? Must we go on in conflict?

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Sat, 20 Oct 2018

Dan McDermott wrote: My question is, is it necessary to create images

That is the real point I feel.

Not that we first get hurt & find ways of getting round that. Is it possible not to get hurt in the first instance?

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Sat, 20 Oct 2018

Right. Agreed fully.

Now Dan is the image different from the memory of the incident?

That is, someone calls me or you stupid.Now we can have an emotional reaction to him next time. That is obviously caused by an image.Now that is clearly a block to relationship because the person won't be the same next time.

Now does ending of the remark mean erasing the memory of the remark made?

I feel memory of the remark or incident remains.What do you think?

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Fri, 19 Oct 2018

Well Dan yes it is understanding the image building process that is needed.

Now when you say when we think of letting go of the past about a bad experience we experience fear, it is thought that is speculating isn't it? It's not actual ending of the image.

Actually memory has made it possible for us to survive. Now it is built in the system that fire is damaging to the body. We cannot forget that.

Now is memory the image? Say someone insults you or me. Then what gets hurt? We obviously have to hear the remark. We hear it & discern it's meaning means it is already in memory.Otherwise we cannot function.Is not this discernment needed first for us to feel hurt? So is not hurt coming later when the remark is met by the image?

So I think it is the image we have to end. Memory of the incident will be there. Is that not right?

K was telling Professor Allan Anderson, 'can there be response without the emotional component?'(not the words he used please. I think it is in the 1st discussion of 18 discussions they had in 'A Wholly Different Way Of Living '.)

Topic: The surprising lack of gratitude Fri, 19 Oct 2018

idiot ? wrote: In post #52, K is quoted as saying "You are grateful in your love for everyone."

That is just it. This quote covers your question adequately.

idiot ? wrote: Let's take person X, who is grateful, in love, for everyone, for totality. Does X love the thugs who recently tortured and murdered the Saudi journalist? Does X love Hitler? Does X love the psychopath who murders?

I don't think it will be love if you love these acts you mention here. However I feel it is possible love may express differently here. You may feel very sorry for these people- the thugs, Hitler & so on.

Once I met a Tiger donor.A Professor. I was astonished by my response to him. Not that I have this love K talked about but instantly as I recognized him I felt deeply sorry for him. An adult who is a terrorist supporter who helped destroy a country. An adult who had gone wrong seriously in life.

I have read about Hitler's war. He was crazy but when think he tried to commit suicide & so on I feel sorry for him.I feel sorry for what happened to him.Getting cornered in the world & then shooting himself in a bunker.Not that I support his crazy theory. But a crazy man with such violent acts means a human being gone wrong in life. Don't you feel sorry?

I know of a person who cried when the news broke out that Bush started bombing Iraq. Not that she was a supporter of Saddam but nevertheless it was destruction.

Topic: The surprising lack of gratitude Thu, 18 Oct 2018

Jack Pine wrote: Do you see that you have to have an image of someone which is based on your experiences with that person before you can feel gratitude for what you think that person has done for you? K had no images, no recorded history of his experiences with a person therefore there can be no gratitude.

Yes. Gratitude is a response to a past action. It is treating what transpired ,whatever it is,very personally.

K 's responses seem to me from the love & sensitivity he talked about.And intelligence.

Topic: The surprising lack of gratitude Wed, 17 Oct 2018

K talked about praise & insult very often.

Is not praise a form of gratitude?

So did he not cover all this discussing the self in different words although the word 'gratitude' was not used often?

Topic: The surprising lack of gratitude Wed, 17 Oct 2018

Dear Sir/Madam (idiot?),

K discussed all aspects of the self thoroughly. Again & again.

K mentioned a lot about reward & punishment. A lot.

I think this issue of gratitude falls under reward which K covered often

Topic: The surprising lack of gratitude Wed, 17 Oct 2018

If you have love you will do the right.

But if you are grateful you are bribing.

Topic: The surprising lack of gratitude Wed, 17 Oct 2018

My dear Sir(idiot?) Gratitude is of the self. It is for egoists.

K had love. Otherwise would he have talked to people for 60-70 years?

And love may be very fierce, very disturbing & may appear very unkind.

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Tue, 16 Oct 2018

Wim Opdam wrote: To define change in the sense of what K. meant is impossible because in the same instance one make it into the known and that's precisely the working of the mind, so even what is called creativity is in this sense within a certain structure and as such not at all creative.

Cannot there be letting go constantly so that there is a certain newness?

Is making into the old inevitable? Is there no way out?

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Fri, 12 Oct 2018

Wim Opdam wrote: taking on another name , image and or clothing seems to me more a flight of your real self then a fundamental change of the self.

This is not change.

But what is fundamental change of the self?

Change would mean not the same, right? So is change & creativity connected? Because not the same would mean something new, right ?What is creativity?

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Wed, 10 Oct 2018

Wim Opdam wrote: What happens when you understand that these well-trodden paths are, is a different story, maybe a oppurtinity for something new?

What do you mean here?

Do you mean to say here? If I pounce on the word 'path' that would mean having roots in the previous step which is the past & therefore not change.

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Tue, 09 Oct 2018

Wim Opdam wrote: in short, it is flight behavior and as such it reveals the working of the ego as a continuation of the old.

Continuation of the old? That means the known. Then ending the known would be change?

Topic: fundamental change or revealing true character ? Mon, 08 Oct 2018

What is true change?

Topic: Why do we want to dominate others? Thu, 27 Sep 2018

Is it coming from the fight for survival? Is it fear that otherwise we would be run over, perish?

Topic: What is fun? Fri, 14 Sep 2018

Fun is that which interests a person? Something that doesn't strain you?

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Thu, 13 Sep 2018

Dan McDermott wrote: As I see it, there is no other entity than thought itself that can bring about its own necessary silence.

I think thought can see it's actions to end suffering is futile. That is ,all its pursuits to find peace are futile.

I think this is needed. Otherwise thought will be everlastingly acting upon itself. The cat chasing its own tail.

However this seeing only ends thought's many persuits to find happiness. So then thought is silent in that context. Only in that context.Thought itself has not ended.

This is like taking the foot off the accelerator of a car. Engine is still running but you are not fuelling it anymore.

That would be choiceless awareness where the will-thought's attempts-is absent. In that which is observation, insight to end thought may be possible.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Thu, 13 Sep 2018

idiot ? wrote: The separative self dies. The body, the thoughts, the characteristics, the beliefs, the states, the philosophical ideas, all this dies. But none of it dies because the same fragments continue in other people who latch onto them, perhaps in somewhat different combinations, but basically the fear, the greed, the seeking of pleasure, and so on live on in others.

Sir, because the thread started with what happens after death I am putting the following for you to read-

Page 122, dialogue Vll in Wholeness of Life.(Indian edition).

Bohm: And when your organism dies then everything ends for that organism?

K: Of course. When the organism dies it is finished.But wait a minute.If I don't end the image, the stream of image making goes on.

Bohm: It is not too clear where it goes on. In other people?

K: It manifests itself in other people.......

This is identical to what is stated in Buddhist scriptures. Some places it says 'chuthi sitha' (the mind at the moment of death) goes on. Or rather decides on the place it goes to.

Please continue your good discussion.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Mon, 10 Sep 2018

Hello Sean, yes some actions like that.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Mon, 10 Sep 2018

Sean Hen wrote: Do all of us experience the absence of the "me" from time to time?

Oh yes Sean. I think all of us experience moments when the self is absent. When we are quietly walking somewhere or leisurely doing something etc.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Sat, 08 Sep 2018

Hello Sean,

That's ok really. I didn't really mean that.

These are what K had said & what the Buddha supposedly said on the topic I've put here. It's actually hard to comment on their statements.

Thanks.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Sat, 08 Sep 2018

Hello Sean,

That's ok really. I didn't really mean that.

These are what K had said & what the Buddha supposedly said on the topic I've put here. It's actually hard to comment on their statements.

Thanks.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Sat, 08 Sep 2018

Hello Sean,

That's ok really. I didn't really mean that.

These are what K had said & what the Buddha supposedly said on the topic I've put here. It's actually hard to comment on their statements.

Thanks.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Sat, 08 Sep 2018

From many different statements K made at different points there is considerable reason to think that this might be the case.

Somewhere in Collected Works K says that there are several entities in one person & that only one entity is dominant. So he was saying how is there individuality in that case.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Sat, 08 Sep 2018

Well, friends I am batting it alone here! Wazza matter?

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Sat, 08 Sep 2018

Actually Buddhist scriptures don't say a leach leaves at the time of death. To be precise it says the consciousness leaves like a leach at the time of death.

First as the body is dying one end comes off & like a leach reaches out & grabs a new place. So at this point it says consciousness of that person is in two places.This they call 'antharabawaya '.Then the other end leaves as the body passes away & the way a leach reaches a new spot the consciousness reaches a new body- both the ends.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Thu, 06 Sep 2018

Well it came to a stop! I think it's difficult to comment on this topic. I am also just quoting.

In 'Wholeness of Life's K says the image at the moment of death continues. Then he says it manifests itself on others.

According to Buddhist scriptures the leach moves on to another body when the organism dies.

Topic: Is there any survival after death? Tue, 04 Sep 2018

Sean, another point to look at regarding this question is that K said consciousness is one. Then what? What is continuation of the consciousness then?

In 'Questioning K'(if I recollect correctly, in the book)) K says consciousness is one. Then goes on & says that does not mean we are some amorphous beings.

So what does that mean? Are we one like one apple or like a tree full of hundreds of apples with each apple representing a human being but connected by branches?

Personally I think it may be the latter. Each person has some energy caught in a pattern & it may be in a common river. Point is there is no 'me' in that.The 'me is when we say we are unique from other patterned energy clusters.

Displaying posts 1 - 30 of 1208 in total